Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When a Business Class Lounge is better than the CCR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When a Business Class Lounge is better than the CCR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Some people like to moan about everything and anything about BA. The CCR is a great lounge, it's not perfect, it's not the best in the world but it is a very nice place to wait for a flight.
...especially when those who've escaped to GF leave plenty of empty seats!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MickV
I am not sure why people are so down on the CCR. Nice space, generally quite quiet and great to spend time.

It is a great lounge. A great space to spend some time. The only slight problem can be sorted with a quick re-furb.

Only been in the FCT once but it was fabulous, certainly above anything in HKG.

Personally prefer GF to anything in HKG.
You haven't been to the new Pier then.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by vscxfan
...especially when those who've escaped to GF leave plenty of empty seats!
... and long may that continue ^
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vibguy
These comparisons are depressing.

Hug?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:02 pm

I totally disagree that 'The Bridge' is better than the CCR as stated in the title..

Yes, Cathays' lounges are superb at HKG and 'the bridge' is certainly better than any of BA's J class (or F class) lounge at LHR. I still think the CCR is considerably better than the Bridge though. A la carte dining, waiter service, choice of alcohol available, cabanas, use of the Elemis spa.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
You haven't been to the new Pier then.
I have thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have thanks.
So in exactly what way is the T5 Flounge better than the HKG F Pier? I can't think of anything.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Just for fun: let's compare it to KLM's Crown Lounge at AMS...

It is interesting that SkyTeam seams to value their lounge offerings a lot less than OW or *A... Maybe because the 'leading airlines' in the alliance do not have a serious F offering. I know AF does have F on some planes, but it is not as big of a seller (or USP) as with BA, CX, SQ, LH, etc.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
So in exactly what way is the T5 Flounge better than the HKG F Pier? I can't think of anything.
Look the pier is fantastic for a short stay. I love the bar area but I prefer the GF. I prefer the balcony area to any part of the pier. I love the breakfast in GF, especially on the way home or if I have been out of the country for a while. I prefer the drink selection.

I really think all the lounges in T5 are missing are a re-furb. I really like the galleries concept.

I will concede that at all other times the food is far and away a country mile better than anything in LHR T5.

I guess it is down to personal preference but I loved the lounges in T5 from the minute they opened and I think a good re-furbishment will make the place fantastic again.

The exception are the cabanas in the CCR, they are disgusting.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look the pier is fantastic for a short stay. I love the bar area but I prefer the GF. I prefer the balcony area to any part of the pier. I love the breakfast in GF, especially on the way home or if I have been out of the country for a while. I prefer the drink selection.

I really think all the lounges in T5 are missing are a re-furb. I really like the galleries concept.

I will concede that at all other times the food is far and away a country mile better than anything in LHR T5.

I guess it is down to personal preference but I loved the lounges in T5 from the minute they opened and I think a good re-furbishment will make the place fantastic again.

The exception are the cabanas in the CCR, they are disgusting.
I think as a space they are way too open and that reduces their usefulness. Even the CCR has few decent relatively private spaces (only the 2 sofa and fireplaces over by the terrace). Service is often non existent too and you practically have to rugby tackle a member of staff in the Flounge to get attention and order food.

I last went in to the Flounge a couple of weeks ago and there was a single solitary bottle of white wine available with circa 10 empty bottles just left in the buckets. That is a metaphor for the whole lounge I think.

There are positive aspects but come on, if the only thing you can specifically identify is that an English Breakfast is better in the Flounge and you set so much store by that then I guess it is going to be the best lounge in the world for you until cutbacks render the offering more in line with that at LGW.

I hope that in any refurb of the T5 Lounges much more is done to replicate the more private seating and work areas of the LH FCL and FCT, the service standards of the TG Flounge at BKK and the catering of the Pier in HKG.

I fear that the reality will be a bit of reupholstering of the chairs and some new lino in the bathrooms and toilets.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Service is often non existent too and you practically have to rugby tackle a member of staff in the Flounge to get attention and order food.

I last went in to the Flounge a couple of weeks ago and there was a single solitary bottle of white wine available with circa 10 empty bottles just left in the buckets. That is a metaphor for the whole lounge I think.
I 100% agree with this. The only time I ever have a seamless order experience in GF is when a staff member recognises me and asks if I want anything, otherwise you have to hang around outside the service area doors to flag down a member of staff. Recently the menus are just nowhere to be seen and the frequency of this has increased.

On my last two GF visits there was not a single bottle of champagne left on the Champagne Bar. I turned all the bottles neck first to indicate they were empty and the second time, a week later, a gentlemen went to the Customer Services desk to complain about the same situation and the BA staffer went over to have a look before going off to get a B-S employee.

The BA staff are really reluctant to intervene in F&B issues but the average customer is not clued up about who does F&B and who works for BA-nor should they need be.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Etihad’s secret Residence lounge at Heathrow

I wonder if BA will ever do anything to compete with this?

http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...p-vip-service/
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Just for fun: let's compare it to KLM's Crown Lounge at AMS...

It is interesting that SkyTeam seams to value their lounge offerings a lot less than OW or *A... Maybe because the 'leading airlines' in the alliance do not have a serious F offering. I know AF does have F on some planes, but it is not as big of a seller (or USP) as with BA, CX, SQ, LH, etc.
Whether its a big seller is a separate issue than the quality of the new AF product on the ground and in the air - its fantastic, head for head BA F cannot begin to compete.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icegirl
I wonder if BA will ever do anything to compete with this?

http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...p-vip-service/
"Runway Girl Nework: Where air transport intelligence meets the passenger experience"

What?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by bananahead
I totally disagree that 'The Bridge' is better than the CCR as stated in the title..

Yes, Cathays' lounges are superb at HKG and 'the bridge' is certainly better than any of BA's J class (or F class) lounge at LHR. I still think the CCR is considerably better than the Bridge though. A la carte dining, waiter service, choice of alcohol available, cabanas, use of the Elemis spa.
Use of the cabanas - surely your joking. Compare the CX shower rooms to any shower room BA has offered, ever. The CX shower rooms are like a Four Seasons while BA's are like a Motel 6, that has been closed to health violations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.