Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does BA provide compensation for moving me to bad seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does BA provide compensation for moving me to bad seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Thumbs down Does BA provide compensation for moving me to bad seats?

I'm a bit grumpy sitting in Naples with a pregnant wife and finding out we are no longer in 5E & F but moved near the back of the plane to two non adjacent seats. The contract workers said I could request a refund and that row 5 was still economy.

We are on full fare economy tickets -not HBO- and I'm getting treated no better than a non status member.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Seat moves happen - unless you've been downgraded (different cabin) or had prebooked seats for cash then BA doesn't owe anything I'm afraid

If there's a BA desk around ask them to move you back to adjacent seats - shouldn't really happen if on same booking AIUI
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:18 pm

Request a refund of what? As silver you shouldn't have had to pay for seat selection.

It sounds like maybe the curtain moved a couple of times and you got caught as a result. It's annoying when that happens, but always a risk when selecting the first row or two of economy.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Request a refund of what? As silver you shouldn't have had to pay for seat selection.

It sounds like maybe the curtain moved a couple of times and you got caught as a result. It's annoying when that happens, but always a risk when selecting the first row or two of economy.

I know there is nothing to request a refund for. My question was more about whether BA would throw some avois my way. The US airlines I fly generally try to look after their status members.

I have my doubts the curtain moved. This flight has been sold out for weeks and I enquired about upgrading to CE and was told it was sold out. I only selected the seats a few hours before online check in since I didn't want the curtain to move.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your initial question was about compensation. The answer is no. You got what you paid for. Your second question was whether BA might toss you some small gesture for your inconvenience. The answer to that is possibly.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No compensation will be offered.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Can I help you
No compensation will be offered.
Even for splitting passengers on same PNR? (If that is the case)

I'd have some sympathy for a complaint about that aspect
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Often customers don't have seats together on the same PNR, that's not a given.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by XCstud
I have my doubts the curtain moved. This flight has been sold out for weeks and I enquired about upgrading to CE and was told it was sold out. I only selected the seats a few hours before online check in since I didn't want the curtain to move.
I'm sorry to read about this, hopefully once on board you can shuffle around a bit so as to be sat next to your wife.

The curtain has almost certainly moved. It may have moved back to the original place, but at T-25 and T-24 when the seating moves to airport control, there probably was a curtain movement. If you select the row immediately behind the curtain you take on the curtain movement risk. Furthermore, thanks to the FCO fire, services from Italy and seating issues are under a lot of pressure.

This is a common state of affairs, and so you won't get anything more than a formula apology from customer relations. You would slightly mitigate the risk of this if you selected that row after OLCI rather than just before, and didn't print (etc) your boarding pass.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Ah, the "Curtain Roulette". Not a game for the faint of heart

It's almost the same as "Row 1 Poker". As a gold I can select row 1 for fellow non-status pax on my PNR but I don't. I know that BA can and will bump them if deemed necessary.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Lobengula
Ah, the "Curtain Roulette". Not a game for the faint of heart

It's almost the same as "Row 1 Poker". As a gold I can select row 1 for fellow non-status pax on my PNR but I don't. I know that BA can and will bump them if deemed necessary.
Should I add 2D blackjack to the mix - the awkwardness that arises when a client walks past you in 2D further back on the E90...
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lobengula
Ah, the "Curtain Roulette". Not a game for the faint of heart .
I've never understood why people do this.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
these are just the sort of circumstances where BA should try and look after it's passengers.
I wonder how many other silver card holders or higher there are on the flight? I wonder how many are pregnant? I wonder how many. Had assigned a seat? How many other people have been split up? BA used to have a great catch phrase... "It's the way we make you feel" - pretty shabby I would suggest!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Should I add 2D blackjack to the mix - the awkwardness that arises when a client walks past you in 2D further back on the E90...
This ^
I love the evening LCY-GLA flights - often quiet enought that I manage to get 2D with nobody in 2C - crazy amounts of room. I then smile sweetly as one of our directors boards and trundles off to the back
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've never understood why people do this.
In the old days (before the refurb) they used to get a B seat free on many config. I think it's a leftover thing from those days.

You don't get a B seat free in the refurbed version. Frankly I think the first row of Y in the refurbed cabin is the worst seat on the aeroplane because you get the annoying curtains there and for no benefit whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.