Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Are Avios good for ANY premium cabin redemptions anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

I have tons of British Avios points, which I typically use for short-haul US-domestic as is conventional wisdom.

But I was wondering - after the devaluation, is there any Avios redemption for Business or First class (anywhere in the world) which is a good redemption value? If yes, I might consider burning them there instead of so many short hops.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver Card
I only use mine for UUA from J to F on daytime flights now. And short-haul ex-HKG & ex-USA.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Where are you based?

Something like JFK-DUS for 60k + £3 (!) one way - and a little more tax on the way back - is a decent redemption on Air Berlin.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just booked Edi to Iah next year, J out F back 175,000 plus 241, plus £1100 tax. That's put a serious dent in my Avios balance. Priced it at £6500, so in my opinion - yes
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I still maintain that the WT+ to CW UUA is a good use of Avios. Balances are less sustainable than before it is true, but in my case this will act more to whittle down my stock over several years rather than it being self-sustaining.

Over the long term you can save a great deal of money if, as in my case, you would otherwise have paid the I class fare.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:38 pm

You have to decide what is "good redemption" or value for you and while we can calculate the $ value of the redeemed mile it still comes down to personal situation on whether that is best value for you or not.

In my case lets take an F redemption Westcoast US to LHR. Was 150k RT now 200k RT + Fees. Lets say I can get discounted F for $5k (which I know is both unlikely and its not a like for like comparison since in theory the Avois redemption is changeable and is refundable for an extra fee). That would work out to 0.025c/mile + $1200 fees.

Now lets take one of the longer domestic redemptions Westcoast to HNL or MCO on AS in my travels I usually can find flights around $650 so works out to 0.026c/mile + less than $20 of fees. So purely by the numbers redeeming domestic is better value.

But adding in the personal situation for me travelling with family of 5 the cost of 5F using mythical $5k F price :-) is at least 25k vs. $3.2k for domestic becomes a no brainer which I will choose even if its not as good a value on paper.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Where are you based?

Something like JFK-DUS for 60k + £3 (!) one way - and a little more tax on the way back - is a decent redemption on Air Berlin.
I'm based in Seattle, but can position myself where-ever.

Thanks for JFK-DUS option - will check it out!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:44 pm
Suspended

BOS-MAD on IB off-peak for 34,000 Avios.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Look at the other AB destinations, too, e.g., ORD - TXL (75k) and LAX - DUS (75k as well I think).
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
BOS-MAD on IB off-peak for 34,000 Avios.
I think IB J in general are good. 34000 avios + ~100 € or less in fees from MAD to JFK, ORD, MIA, BOS. An EZE-MAD in J is 51000 avios and similar fees, seems also pretty good.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Depends on how easily one earns them.

I've just booked a JL F from HND to LHR

lots of avios (120k), but only £72
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
I think IB J in general are good. 34000 avios + ~100 € or less in fees from MAD to JFK, ORD, MIA, BOS. An EZE-MAD in J is 51000 avios and similar fees, seems also pretty good.
I picked up a MIA - MAD for 42500 off peak. BUYER BEWARE however, as some of the MIA flights are scheduled to be operated by A340-300s which are not being refurbished (but are due to be replaced by A330-200s from November).
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Fra-LHR on the morning 767 service for 8k and £25 seems very good if you have no status....
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I still maintain that the WT+ to CW UUA is a good use of Avios. Balances are less sustainable than before it is true, but in my case this will act more to whittle down my stock over several years rather than it being self-sustaining.

Over the long term you can save a great deal of money if, as in my case, you would otherwise have paid the I class fare.
Of course, this is a perfect use of Avios - but try finding any decent availability on the LHR-JFK route...That's the real problem with Avios redemptions.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by cmanc
In my case lets take an F redemption Westcoast US to LHR. Was 150k RT now 200k RT + Fees. Lets say I can get discounted F for $5k (which I know is both unlikely and its not a like for like comparison since in theory the Avois redemption is changeable and is refundable for an extra fee). That would work out to 0.025c/mile + $1200 fees.

Now lets take one of the longer domestic redemptions Westcoast to HNL or MCO on AS in my travels I usually can find flights around $650 so works out to 0.026c/mile + less than $20 of fees. So purely by the numbers redeeming domestic is better value.

But adding in the personal situation for me travelling with family of 5 the cost of 5F using mythical $5k F price :-) is at least 25k vs. $3.2k for domestic becomes a no brainer which I will choose even if its not as good a value on paper.
Frankly it all sounds very hypothetical - the chance of finding 5 seats in any premium class on BA or an AA sAAver award Westcost to MCO is pretty near zero for most people who live ordinary lives. It might work a little better for you if you're starting from SEA and can use AS but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.