Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A brief guide to moving between Tiers in the BAEC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A brief guide to moving between Tiers in the BAEC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by spicysoup
I had something similar recently. Landed at T4 on a flight that took me to 1500 TP. Went through internal transfer (rather than back out and through FW) when I got to GF I explained what had happened, showed my boarding pass for the flight I'd just come off and my current account to show posted TP. I was told I they weren't able to recognise me as Gold yet, which I expected. I said no problem and as i was about to leave was asked to show my next boarding pass. She looked for a moment and then gave me a nice "in you go".

I expect this was entirely discretionary, there was only one of me, and it was to the lounge not the wing. Perhaps this is totally useless but also perhaps a data point to say be super polite and you never know!
Unlikely to work in the first wing as you first have check in, then the desk for lounge access then security Convincing one maybe for one person but not all three.

​​​​​​
YYCCL3 and spicysoup like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback, all I was really hoping to use was the lounge. I'll try my luck the day of and if it's a no go then off to T5B we shall head. Cheers!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
My status on BA updated in 2 days, but what took ages was getting it through the OW network. Had the battle hard on some AA flights to prove I should not be paying for any bags.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A question for the experts:

As luck will have It I have to be in London for a day twice in the next weeks and BA is also the cheapest option. So it seems I will get my required 4 BA flights and thus become silver with aprox 1295 TP just a few days before my BA year ends on Feb 8. So far so good, all those flights on QR will at least give me a shiny card.

Now the the question: if I read @Prospero 's graph correctly:

Then I will have a silver card for a few days and then drop to bronze on the 9th of February. Is this really true?? Doesn't sound right...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:58 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I will [...] become silver with aprox 1295 TP just a few days before my BA year ends on Feb 8. [...]
Then I will have a silver card for a few days and then drop to bronze on the 9th of February. Is this really true??
The answer, as you suspected, is no.

You will be Silver for the remainder of your current membership year (i.e. until 31.03.) and for the following year. If you don't requalify, you will drop to Bronze on 01.04.2020 and lose status altogether on 31.03.2021.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Now the the question: if I read @Prospero 's graph correctly:

Then I will have a silver card for a few days and then drop to bronze on the 9th of February. Is this really true?? Doesn't sound right...
Prospero's graph shows what happens to someone who fails to earn enough Tier Points to retain their status, not what happens when status is achieved. It would accordingly be relevant to you next year if you failed to re-qualify for silver, i.e. as IMH says if you don't earn 600 TPs/take 4 qualifying flights in the year to 8 February 2020 you will drop from silver to bronze on 1 April 2020.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Quick question

Hi all,

My tier point collection year ends on 8 June 2019 and my Silver card expires on 31 July 2019. I currently have just 100 tier points, and am looking at doing two long haul leisure business trips later in the year, one at Easter and one in late June. One I'll pay for earning 600+ tier points and the other will use my old stash of AAdvantage miles.

Am I correct in thinking if I pay for the Easter trip, my Silver status will then run until summer 2020? However, if I use miles at Easter and pay for a 600+ tier point trip in late June (plus 4 BA sectors) my Silver status will then run until summer 2021? Doing the paid run in the new collection year but before the card expires won't confuse the issue and only extend my status until summer 2020 will it? If not, then this seems like the entirely sensible thing to do!

Many thanks
KT
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Hi all,

My tier point collection year ends on 8 June 2019 and my Silver card expires on 31 July 2019. I currently have just 100 tier points, and am looking at doing two long haul leisure business trips later in the year, one at Easter and one in late June. One I'll pay for earning 600+ tier points and the other will use my old stash of AAdvantage miles.

Am I correct in thinking if I pay for the Easter trip, my Silver status will then run until summer 2020? However, if I use miles at Easter and pay for a 600+ tier point trip in late June (plus 4 BA sectors) my Silver status will then run until summer 2021? Doing the paid run in the new collection year but before the card expires won't confuse the issue and only extend my status until summer 2020 will it? If not, then this seems like the entirely sensible thing to do!

Many thanks
KT
If I understand this right, you will have it until 31st July 2020 (by collecting this year) because the 600 points you are collecting are within this current collection year and you will reset to 0 at the end of July 2019. If you requalify after your collection year ends you will be in the new year and thus get silver as soon as you achieve it and will have it through to 2021.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
If I understand this right, you will have it until 31st July 2020 (by collecting this year) because the 600 points you are collecting are within this current collection year and you will reset to 0 at the end of July 2019. If you requalify after your collection year ends you will be in the new year and thus get silver as soon as you achieve it and will have it through to 2021.
Thanks. So it sounds like what I wrote is correct? Surely I'll reset to 0 after 8 June 2019 though, rather than at the end of July when the card expires? Thus anything earned at the end of June will go into the next year's earning, despite my card and status not expiring until 31 July?

I'm probably not explaining this particularly well, but just want to be sure I don't slip up in that 7 week period!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:32 am

Yes, that's right, on the the 8th.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:36 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
[...] Surely I'll reset to 0 after 8 June 2019 though, rather than at the end of July when the card expires?
Correct. Your new TP collection year begins on 9 June. If you (re-)qualify for Silver between 9 June and 31 July you will indeed have done the "entirely sensible thing"!
kingstontoon likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:03 am

Great, thanks both! Just need to keep my fingers crossed for next week's QR mega-sale...
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AB Topbonus
Sorry for bothering with a BAEC newbie question, but I couldn't find the answer yet.
I am 30 TP short of Silver by April 8th plus 4 segments on BA/IB metal.
Do I understand correctly that making any aditional TP (e.g. by booking 4 flights on Club Europe), would be zeroed out on April 8th anyway?
I might be better off booking 4 flights Economy full fare then.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by bobberle101
Sorry for bothering with a BAEC newbie question, but I couldn't find the answer yet.
I am 30 TP short of Silver by April 8th plus 4 segments on BA/IB metal.
Do I understand correctly that making any aditional TP (e.g. by booking 4 flights on Club Europe), would be zeroed out on April 8th anyway?
I might be better off booking 4 flights Economy full fare then.
Yep.
bobberle101 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:16 am

Hello

I flew from IAD to LHR on 20th and landed on 21st in London. I have 460 Tier points and I flew in business giving me 140 more to total 600. The app and website are still saying to me I am on 460.

Tomorrow I have an economy flight in Europe - any chance that it will be silver? Or any chance to get into the lounge / take an extra bag? I'm going skiing so the extra weight would be welcome! My understanding was that it should have given the points last night and then tonight it would turn silver and I feel i'm behind

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.