Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A brief guide to moving between Tiers in the BAEC

Old Jun 17, 15, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Hi All
I put this brief guide together with the help of C-W-S as it seems to be a very commonly asked question. Hopefully others can share their experiences here too and provide reassurance to people that yes the system is working, yes the app and website will update, and yes the card is likely on its way.
Cheers
Snuffi

So you've done the travel, earned the TPs and you are looking for the next bit of shiny status plastic/virtual plastic. Once you have taken the flight that sees you hit or surpass the Tier Points needed for the next level, how long does it then take for the BAEC systems to update and give you all the hard-earned perks associated with that new level? This is a very common question here in the BA forum.

BA's IT systems being what they are, it is not instantaneous, and this can cause angst for newly-promoted BAEC members. The confusion seems more evident now that the BA App shows your tier status colour as a background. In the example below, a Silver cardholder has just reached the threshold for Gold:

Whilst there is no hard and fast rule as to how long this takes, anecdotal evidence suggests three working days is the amount of time you should expect to wait.

Example of moving between tiers

Here’s an example of how it happens, using moving from Silver (600TPs) to Gold (1500TPs). Remember Days = working days, so a flight taken on Friday won't appear until Monday.

Day 0: Take final flight

Day 1: There has been an overnight update of Tier Points, and your BAEC homepage and the BA App now show you as having reached exactly 1500TP. You should expect to still show as a Silver Member at this point. Note that flights that arrive at their destination in the evening will likely miss this overnight update, and so post the following day instead.

Day 2: It is likely that today will be an even more confusing day, as you will still show as a Silver member in terms of the background, the “My Tier Points” section, and anywhere a small visual of the card is represented on the homepage. However underneath your Tier Points you should see this:

“You have achieved Gold membership”

Day 3: Following a further overnight update everything is now in synch. Your App has changed colour, and you can view a digital copy of your shiny new card. Everything is as it should be.

Getting your card and other notifications

Depending on where you live, your actual shiny new card and luggage tags should drop through your letter box within a few days. In the UK this might be as soon as two days after the final Website and App changes, though a week or so is perhaps more typical.

In addition to this you can expect a welcome email within a couple of days.

So, in summary it generally takes two business days/three overnight updates for everything to flow through. Another way to track where you might be in the process is to check under 'Executive Club Items' on BA.com, it will show if your status is 'pending' or 'fulfilled'.
Tobias-UK and TWCLAM like this.

Last edited by snuffi; Sep 3, 19 at 8:01 am
Old Jun 17, 15, 4:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I really can't claim much credit for this! Many thanks snuffi for kicking this off.

A few other points to note

1) Obviously it's important to get your 4 qualifying flights (2 if striving for Bronze). Otherwise you could easily have a high TP level but never get attain status. Qualifying flights are BA metal flights, IB metal flights with an IB code, or BA flights on a codeshare (e.g. BA's services on Finnair). Redemption flights don't count.

2) Some airlines in oneworld are slow to credit, notably MH and LAN. We're talking weeks here. If necessary if that happens over your calendar year, you may need to call BAEC if your status doesn't update in time before your TPs are re-set to zero.

3) If claiming missing BA metal Avios and TPs through the automated process, and it is successful, you may need to log out and log back in to see the correct TPs updated.

4) You can simply never ever change your membership year on your account.

5) Running a bit short on TPs? See the TP Run Thread, which can be found via the BA Forum Dashboard.

6) There are a number of reports of people able to get lounge access on the day before or after the changeover, so there's no harm asking politely if it is about to happen.

7) Count on it taking 3 weeks to get your card if UK based, a little less for Gold and higher. If you don't have your card you can still use the lounges however....

8) There are some lounges out there, notably in USA, where they like to see your card. If you haven't received the plastic card, maybe you are still travelling, note that on the BA App, if you touch the mini card design in My Account, it will pop up as a membership card with the appropriate information.
Old Jun 17, 15, 4:49 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond club-Gold; BAEC Gold; Qantas FF; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
This is a really good idea

Something similar on downwards movements would be good as well. My TP year ended last week. I expected to see it turning silver but it didn't and now I'm guessing that doesn't happen until my membership year ends at end of July. However a consolidated thread where information about things like the effect on changing tiers on booking seats etc would be great.
Old Jun 17, 15, 5:43 pm

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Originally Posted by snuffi View Post
So, in summary it generally takes two business days/three overnight updates for everything to flow through. Another way track where you might be in the process is to check under 'Executive Club Items' on BA.com, it will show if your status is 'pending' or 'fulfilled'.
This is my Executive Club Items statement

For reference:

Bronze - Qualifying Flight - 09/02/15 - Flight Posted - 10/02/15
Silver - Qualifying Flight - 26/02/15 - Flight Posted - 28/02/15
Gold - Qualifying Flight - 31/05/15 - Flight Posted* - 03/06/15

(It was actually an MH flight from the 30th May that I was waiting for, the BA flight on the 31st May posted on 1st June)
Old Jun 18, 15, 2:46 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thank you for spending the time to give us all this information, I can see that my silver card is showing pending, fulfilled, so hopefully in a day or 2 should show despatched. My year end was 8th June, so I always reckon nearly 3 weeks to get my new cards^
Old Jun 18, 15, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Very helpful, many thanks. ^

One other point: do you have a flight in the days after your qualifying flight but before your account has updated? If so, you will probably earn Avios at your 'old' rate.

The 'new' rate, for the higher Tier you've just reached can be claimed by contacting BA.
Old Jun 18, 15, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I really can't claim much credit for this! Many thanks snuffi for kicking this off.

A few other points to note

1) Obviously it's important to get your 4 qualifying flights (2 if striving for Bronze). Otherwise you could easily have a high TP level but never get attain status. Qualifying flights are BA metal flights, IB metal flights with an IB code, or BA flights on a codeshare (e.g. BA's services on Finnair). Redemption flights don't count.

2) Some airlines in oneworld are slow to credit, notably MH and LAN. We're talking weeks here. If necessary if that happens over your calendar year, you may need to call BAEC if your status doesn't update in time before your TPs are re-set to zero.

3) If claiming missing BA metal Avios and TPs through the automated process, and it is successful, you may need to log out and log back in to see the correct TPs updated.

4) You can simply never ever change your membership year on your account.

5) Running a bit short on TPs? See the TP Run Thread, which can be found via the BA Forum Dashboard.

6) There are a number of reports of people able to get lounge access on the day before or after the changeover, so there's no harm asking politely if it is about to happen.

7) Count on it taking 3 weeks to get your card if UK based, a little less for Gold and higher. If you don't have your card you can still use the lounges however....

8) There are some lounges out there, notably in USA, where they like to see your card. If you haven't received the plastic card, maybe you are still travelling, note that on the BA App, if you touch the mini card design in My Account, it will pop up as a membership card with the appropriate information.
From my own experience, the lounge agents at GF are well aware of these situations. In my case they were able to ring a specific team (I didn't catch the name/extension) to confirm that I was indeed a gold member ^.
Old Jul 9, 15, 2:06 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Still not received my new cards, still showing fulfilled 18th June, and has not changed to despatched, so wonder what is happening, will give it until end of July and if nothing will have to request a new set
Old Jul 9, 15, 2:38 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan pleb, Skyteam Elite Plus
When will you be able to access benefits like free seat selection? On the day it's 'pending' or 'fulfilled'?
Old Jul 9, 15, 2:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
Originally Posted by Ziz View Post
When will you be able to access benefits like free seat selection? On the day it's 'pending' or 'fulfilled'?
I think you'll find that it has to be 'fulfilled'
Old Jul 9, 15, 3:25 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Gold, Aeroplan pleb, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
I think you'll find that it has to be 'fulfilled'
I was afraid you'd say that! I'm switching to Silver after my flight to YYZ on Aug 10. Was hoping the switch would be somewhat instant so that I could select my return flight on the 21st. As it is, with the delay in upgrading status, I'll get to pick my seat approximately when I would have with bronze anyway!
Old Jul 9, 15, 3:56 am

Thanks a lot for this. I can validate from my own experience this week - flew LHR to EWR on Monday, arriving after midnight UK time. TPs were credited on Weds though I was still showing as silver. Refreshed the app this morning (Thursday) to find it had turned a nice shade of gold, and I was able to immediately see additional gold availability in economy when searching for avios flights. Living the dream!

Thanks all on the board for the help - a particularly lucrative TP run on MH helped push me over the top.
Old Jul 9, 15, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Originally Posted by tomppa29 View Post
Thanks a lot for this. I can validate from my own experience this week - flew LHR to EWR on Monday, arriving after midnight UK time. TPs were credited on Weds though I was still showing as silver. Refreshed the app this morning (Thursday) to find it had turned a nice shade of gold, and I was able to immediately see additional gold availability in economy when searching for avios flights. Living the dream!

Thanks all on the board for the help - a particularly lucrative TP run on MH helped push me over the top.
Welcome to FT and to the nut house BA board. ^
Old Sep 2, 15, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Bit of a newbie question but wondered if anyone could assist.

Yesterday I had 90 tier points (from flying 4 BA flights) and today received 560 points, bringing me to 650.

On the BAEC screen it shows me as being Blue still and having 650 points. Under progress to the next tier, it states that "You have achieved Bronze membership".

I just wanted to check how this would work. Will I receive full bronze membership on Friday and then the same process will automatically start again for silver or will I jump straight to silver on Friday?
Old Oct 14, 15, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by jazzyjeff View Post
Bit of a newbie question but wondered if anyone could assist.

Yesterday I had 90 tier points (from flying 4 BA flights) and today received 560 points, bringing me to 650.

On the BAEC screen it shows me as being Blue still and having 650 points. Under progress to the next tier, it states that "You have achieved Bronze membership".

I just wanted to check how this would work. Will I receive full bronze membership on Friday and then the same process will automatically start again for silver or will I jump straight to silver on Friday?
Hi jazzyjeff. Newbie here too. How did this work out for you? My husband has 1900 tier points but Bronze status. He just completed his 4th qualifying BA flight. Tier points updated today (Wednesday) and account says you have now achieved silver, although everything is still Bronze. Had hoped to go straight to gold as he is flying with AA on Sunday! Any insight greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: