Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GGL Gold Partner Card + EC Membership Year date question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Hi All

My wife's Executive Club membership year ended yesterday on 8th June 2015.

I called the GGL line today (9th June) to assign a GGL Gold partner card to her account, thinking that this would give her a two year gold membership, i.e. until 8th June 2017.

The person on the phone told me that I need to wait until her current card isn't valid (i.e. 1st August 2015) to do this. If I assign today, then the Gold card would only be valid until 8th June 2016.

So was that person correct? Or should I just try again? Or should I just use the Website?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ftaitr
Hi All

I called the GGL line today (9th June) to assign a GGL Gold partner card to her account, thinking that this would give her a two year gold membership, i.e. until 8th June 2017.

The person on the phone told me that I need to wait until her current card isn't valid (i.e. 1st August 2015) to do this. If I assign today, then the Gold card would only be valid until 8th June 2016.

So was that person correct? Or should I just try again? Or should I just use the Website?
What is the harm in waiting until 2nd August? Unless your GGL year expires before then.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Hi All

The information you have been given is correct.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
What is the harm in waiting until 2nd August? Unless your GGL year expires before then.
We have a flight on a 744 in F at the end of August, and I was hoping that we could be in 1A / K. My thinking was that waiting until the start of August might make that less likely...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The information you have been given is correct.
Thanks for the quick reply, even if it wasn't what I was hoping for...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

But...what about this:

From the GGL Ts and Cs:

8.3. On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. For Nominees who are existing Executive Club members, the discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold Card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last for the remainder of the Nominee’s existing Tier Point Collection Year and for the 12 month period thereafter. For Nominees who are not existing Executive Club members at time of nomination Silver/Gold Cards will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Armed with my Ts and Cs, I called again.

This time, a different person said that the Gold membership would last until 8th June 2017.

So I've gone ahead with the nomination.

I guess I need to see what happens. I'll report back...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Armed with my Ts and Cs, I called again.

This time, a different person said that the Gold membership would last until 8th June 2017.

So I've gone ahead with the nomination.

I guess I need to see what happens. I'll report back...
You will find that the Membership Year will end in 2016. You will then have to contact them again and hope you get the same response then!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You will find that the Membership Year will end in 2016. You will then have to contact them again and hope you get the same response then!
I'll report back. Diary note made.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Have just checked the same - Tried to nominate my daughter, who is already Gold, electronically, but the system won't let me until her card expires at the start of July, so it sounds like you were given sound information. I assume your wife is currently Gold?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Have just checked the same - Tried to nominate my daughter, who is already Gold, electronically, but the system won't let me until her card expires at the start of July, so it sounds like you were given sound information. I assume your wife is currently Gold?
She's silver at the moment. Will probably get to gold this year with her own flying. I went ahead and did it anyway. Her gold card expiry is indeed showing as 31 July 2016, rather than 2017, so I guess I'll see what happens later in the year.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
If it's silver to gold they should have no problem doing it. It's only gold to gold or silver to silver that would normally cause a problem. Don't worry about the expiry date. That's just for the current card. She'll be gold through 2017
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
But...what about this:

From the GGL Ts and Cs:

8.3. On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. For Nominees who are existing Executive Club members, the discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold Card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last for the remainder of the Nominee’s existing Tier Point Collection Year and for the 12 month period thereafter. For Nominees who are not existing Executive Club members at time of nomination Silver/Gold Cards will be valid for a period of 12 months from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee.
Where do I find these T&Cs?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Where do I find these T&Cs?
Not sure, but if you go to the nomination page and into FAQs there's a similar response. Has caught out my nominees - nominated a month into membership year (from blue) but lapsed within 12 months (card life just over 12 months)
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Not sure, but if you go to the nomination page and into FAQs there's a similar response. Has caught out my nominees - nominated a month into membership year (from blue) but lapsed within 12 months (card life just over 12 months)
Cheers. Found it now.

I made the same mistake and nominated the wife a week into her new membership year, rather than a week after her current card expires. I've dropped BA and email but not the end of the world if nothing can be done; I'll know for next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.