Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways mixed fleet/worldwide fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways mixed fleet/worldwide fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Jonathan1974
WW and Eurofleet staff may be unfriendly and in a bad mood at times but they are not unsafe. I have never ever come across anyone who smelled of booze on either of these fleets.
I have.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: BA
I agree with D1L. The competent, well-trained members of the MF are excellent. BA has, however, saved huge amounts by indiscriminately and irresponsibly accepting some 'great-looking' young people whose motivation and interest in the nature of the job is highly questionable. On my flight back from Rio I learnt that the MF cabin crew from the latter group on this flight had done nothing but long haul flights: Tokyo, Miami, Sydney in very quick succession.The young man who seved me on the flight from Rio was obviously hung over-- in spite of the breath mints. I am ultimately uncomfortable about safety issues: this is not a joke job. If applicants had to pass an English test ensuring that they are articulate, if they were required to speak a foreign language and have two or three A levels, a different kind of group would emerge. And I am sorry: WW and Eurofleet staff may be unfriendly and in a bad mood at times but they are not unsafe. I have never ever come across anyone who smelled of booze on either of these fleets.
Probably a group that wouldn't be interested in BA's existing salary/benefits package..
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
I agree with D1L. The competent, well-trained members of the MF are excellent. BA has, however, saved huge amounts by indiscriminately and irresponsibly accepting some 'great-looking' young people whose motivation and interest in the nature of the job is highly questionable. On my flight back from Rio I learnt that the MF cabin crew from the latter group on this flight had done nothing but long haul flights: Tokyo, Miami, Sydney in very quick succession.The young man who seved me on the flight from Rio was obviously hung over-- in spite of the breath mints. I am ultimately uncomfortable about safety issues: this is not a joke job. If applicants had to pass an English test ensuring that they are articulate, if they were required to speak a foreign language and have two or three A levels, a different kind of group would emerge. And I am sorry: WW and Eurofleet staff may be unfriendly and in a bad mood at times but they are not unsafe. I have never ever come across anyone who smelled of booze on either of these fleets.
Couldn't agree more having met many MF crew members who are an asset to BA!

However I have also met and personally know some people who are MF - who quite honestly are some of the most unprofessional, classless and uneducated people I have ever met. For example a MF CC member that I know, up until about 2 years ago was unable to spell the word Exit (im not joking!) along with the fact she looked like a tomato with the amount of fake tan she used to wear.

What I am saying is in agreement, that BA need to perhaps raise the bar of its standards of recruitment and perhaps just take a look at a candidates FB page to see if that is someone they want representing BA and in a part the Flag of the UK?

It is also true that most people who had A - Levels, spoke a MFL would be kind of out of their mind to work on BA's pay and contract terms, as said above - leading to a number (not all) recruits being as they are - often straight off Hair and Beauty courses.....

Although perhaps a bit more controversial it does seem that BA is turning even more into Ryanair bit by bit, in this case the CC. Given that on a number of BA MF flights the crew doing the announcements were not from the UK and spoke inaudible English - to the point they were struggling to pronounce basic words.

Sorry if it offends people, but im not lying...
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:11 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
.The young man who seved me on the flight from Rio was obviously hung over-- in spite of the breath mints. I have never ever come across anyone who smelled of booze on either of these fleets.
Now I have read everything. We now apparently have quasi-drunks serving in whichever cabin this took place.

I shall not even begin to speculate upon that which you witnessed but I suggest that your move to Lufthansa is a wise one. No, I shall not be following you. I'd sooner walk after the way that I was treated by them. In any event, if you are off to Lufthansa what do you care?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:04 pm

Absolutely unacceptable in any shape or form. Had I of been the SCCM on this flight, the individual would not have been permitted to carry out their duties and would have been dealt with following internal procedures for such an incident. Safety is always our number one priority (I know how contrived that sounds but it's true) and the likes of CIHY, Pucci, Lite etc really do practise that. These incidents are unfortunate, but they do happen and they are not specific to MF.

As a note, there a strict regulations that dictate how much alcohol we are permitted to consume prior to a flying or standby duty and it is less than the drink/drive limits in the UK. Some countries have even lower limits and crew can be frequently breathalysed without question or warning (Scandinavia, Australia and Holland spring to mind). Failure of tests will result in criminal prosecution. I take this very seriously, as do the majority of MF, WW, EF, SFLGW and LCY BA crews. It's a shame this individual allegedly did not.

Kind regards
D1L

These views are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Now I have read everything. We now apparently have quasi-drunks serving in whichever cabin this took place.

I shall not even begin to speculate upon that which you witnessed but I suggest that your move to Lufthansa is a wise one. No, I shall not be following you. I'd sooner walk after the way that I was treated by them. In any event, if you are off to Lufthansa what do you care?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

I do not like your tone. Apart from the fact that I still have four long-haul flights left on BA, I am entiled to my views re experiences on flights which cost a lot of money. Unlike some of the contributors (like presumably you) I am not a BA executive and do not get special treatment. If I did, presumably on a 10 hour flight in Club, my dinner service would not be prefaced by 'would you like to eat ANYTHING AT ALL, prior to learning in the second row of the cabin --being number three to be served --that my choice is 'no longer available: sowwy'
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I do not like your tone. Apart from the fact that I still have four long-haul flights left on BA, I am entiled to my views re experiences on flights which cost a lot of money. Unlike some of the contributors (like presumably you) I am not a BA executive and do not get special treatment. If I did, presumably on a 10 hour flight in Club, my dinner service would not be prefaced by 'would you like to eat ANYTHING AT ALL, prior to learning in the second row of the cabin --being number three to be served --that my choice is 'no longer available: sowwy'
I think Pucci delivers the service as opposed to receives it...

Also, your position in the cabin does not determine your meal choice. That will have been decided in the galley via means of the status of customer on board. Whatever it was you didn't get, third to be served, you can be assured the gold card holder, thirty fifth to be served, did.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The point about grasp of English is an important one. I have had several crews lately where some crew members' English was poor, or so heavily accented to be hard to comprehend for native Emglish speakers, let alone any other passengers. Lets down the majority of MF who are excellent
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
boarding a (presumably MF) flight to Vienna recently ... a very happy FA greeted me with "awwwright" !

i thought I'd boarded an Easyjet flight by accident
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Andrew.Smith
boarding a (presumably MF) flight to Vienna recently ... a very happy FA greeted me with "awwwright" !

Indeed, VIE is a MF route. It doesn't really set the greatest tone!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Indeed, VIE is a MF route. It doesn't really set the greatest tone!
So the fact that the crew member sounds like a friendly chap/lady goes unnoticed. There are plenty of crew on ALL fleets that greet customers in that way. Some folk, it would seem, are never satisfied.

I will try greeting all my customers today with "good day to you sir/madam". That premium enough for you?

Sheesh......

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
So the fact that the crew member sounds like a friendly chap/lady goes unnoticed. There are plenty of crew on ALL fleets that greet customers in that way. Some folk, it would seem, are never satisfied.

I will try greeting all my customers today with "good day to you sir/madam". That premium enough for you?

Sheesh......

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
At least the passenger got greeted. Not so obvious
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Andrew.Smith

That wouldn't bother me at all. I'd much rather CC were happy and cheery than worry about their accent. IMHO MF and Easyjet CC usually are happy and cheery.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
I had a really good flight in F back from DFW last week. Our cabin crew were warm, welcoming and keen to provide a good service. There were a couple of areas where it could have been better (for example being a little more proactive with the drinks and meal service) but in all the service was attentive and provided with enthusiasm.

The cc member serving my area mentioned he didn't have much experience serving First, however I thought with a few more flights he would have it nailed.

Times like this remind me we all have to learn our jobs, and the correct attitude goes a long way. Well done submitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.