Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

My BA flight is being operated by a 29 year old! (Aircraft)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

Wow, the substitute aircraft BA Cityflyer has leased in (D-AMGL) is over 29 years old - was delivered on 2nd June 1986 (maiden flight was before that)

Older than any aircraft in BA's fleet by some margin it seems. So what's the oldest aircraft you've flown on for a BA operated flight?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Age is one thing. Operational hours is another.

Since this plane seems to be leased mostly by WDL Aviation to 'fill gaps', it's likely that it has far fewer flight hours than its age would suggest.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Try Jet2. Their fleet's average age is 21 years (compared to BA's 12 years) and about half their fleet is over 27 years old.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
G-BOAE was 26 when I flew on her.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:40 pm

Come fly on a 737
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:20 pm

Only done the late 80s/early 90s 747s in recent years.

Cathay has a little collection of prototypes going, albeit not that old. The first A330 and 777 are both in the fleet.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:33 pm

The RJ146 (G-SMLA) sometimes used at LCY, privided by Jota Avaiation is 29.6 years old (Source: http://www.planespotters.net/Product...A-Aviation.php). I travelled on this aircraft once this year, and will be on her again this evening!

You can tell that the frame has seen its fair share of action...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by rossmacd
The RJ146 (G-SMLA) sometimes used at LCY, privided by Jota Avaiation is 29.6 years old (Source: http://www.planespotters.net/Product...A-Aviation.php). I travelled on this aircraft once this year, and will be on her again this evening!

You can tell that the frame has seen its fair share of action...
And quite some action - she brought the victorious Glasgow Warriors and the Pro12 trophy back from Belfast on Sunday morning!

More on topic, if the interior is fine I don't really care about the aircraft age, and would rather have a LGW 734 than G-MEDK any time.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Yesitsme
Come fly on a 737
Haven't done a JER TP run for a few years so thankfully have avoided them - that and Jersey customs being highly suspicious of a day tripper...

Although the remaining BA ones are 'only' 1990s vintage
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DocWatson
And quite some action - she brought the victorious Glasgow Warriors and the Pro12 trophy back from Belfast on Sunday morning!

More on topic, if the interior is fine I don't really care about the aircraft age, and would rather have a LGW 734 than G-MEDK any time.
So this is BA trolling Irish rugby fans?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:00 am

My flight the other day was operated by a 60 year old. They say experience grows with age, but I was more worried about his bladder control
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Haven't done a JER TP run for a few years so thankfully have avoided them - that and Jersey customs being highly suspicious of a day tripper...

Although the remaining BA ones are 'only' 1990s vintage

The 737 is the Queen of the skies! She's a fabulous piece of machinery, is sturdy and I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before - my favourite aircraft I'm very happy we're keeping her a bit longer.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Yesitsme
The 737 is the Queen of the skies! She's a fabulous piece of machinery, is sturdy and I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before - my favourite aircraft I'm very happy we're keeping her a bit longer.
There seems to be a small following of us that love flying on the old 737's! I've never had an uncomfortable flight in one, the lighting is yellow and there is plenty of brown decor, but they're comfortable! (they also remind me of flying in the 90's, my childhood, which I have fond memories of!).

They also do that old fashioned thing of making a bit of a noise! Can't beat the roar of full reverse thrust on landing, the only BA aircraft type I've been on that regularly uses it (presumably due the old steel brakes that are both very noisy and heat up like nobodies business).
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by DocWatson
Absolutely And a fabulous match it was also!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kdhurst380
There seems to be a small following of us that love flying on the old 737's! I've never had an uncomfortable flight in one, the lighting is yellow and there is plenty of brown decor, but they're comfortable! (they also remind me of flying in the 90's, my childhood, which I have fond memories of!).

They also do that old fashioned thing of making a bit of a noise! Can't beat the roar of full reverse thrust on landing, the only BA aircraft type I've been on that regularly uses it (presumably due the old steel brakes that are both very noisy and heat up like nobodies business).
Give me a new AA 737 in domestic F with my own IFE screen and in-flight wifi over an old CE bird any day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.