Wiki Posts
Search

Best F Class main course & why ?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 6:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus beef, summer vegetables, fondant potatoes with horseradish and chive sauce.

Supreme of sustainably sourced Scottish hake with a vegetable fricassee and crushed anya potato.

Pancetta wrapped poussin breasts with roasted vegetables and courgette risotto.

Warm seared scallops on a pepper, cashew nut and spring onion salad with sweet chilli and ginger dressing.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Beef or Chicken

and if my first choice then all the better.

Scallops nice but as "starter" - not enough for a main (IMHO)
Old May 29, 2015, 7:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gash
Beef or Chicken

and if my first choice then all the better.

Scallops nice but as "starter" - not enough for a main (IMHO)

Bon Appétit
Old May 29, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I almost always have the fish option. It's lighter, and I've generally found (in F) quite lightly cooked. Though I quite like the sound of the poussin.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would also go for the hake, partially because I like that fish, and partially out of risk mitigation, BA generally gets the fish to work well. Bring back the fish pie!

However I've never really worked out the point of pre-selection well before the flight. Surely it depends on the weather, what you had the night before, what you had in the CCR, whether you want to eat on arrival or go to sleep, what drinks you could pair it with, even what the cabin crew recommend?

That said, I'd steer clear of the beef. It could be great but even a cursory glance of the threads here will show what a lottery it is, particularly if you in with the "medium-rare" munchers.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

Chicken spicy curry esque served ex SIN.

;-))
Old May 30, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: MUCCI

Curry and then fish. Meat is the least favourite option....

FD
Old May 30, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Yes, as was mentioned bring back the fish pie that was always nice. Would anyway always choose a fish dish.^
Old May 30, 2015, 1:21 am

Doesn't this question rather depend on one's personal taste?
Old May 30, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
The steak is nearly always a disappointment. For "pan seared" read cooked to death. I would also go for the fish.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would be quite happy with any one of those mains....no worries about ordering beef as I like it well done. Surprised to see hake on the F menu. It's a relatively inexpensive fish extensively used to make fish fingers in some parts of the world.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum

Whilst I would normally steer clear of the beef, I had it on LHR-YVR last week and it was very good - properly cooked medium rare.

Given that the last time I had a steak in F on that route, BA gave me 20,000 miles in compensation for how over-cooked it was, this was a vast improvement.

I am sure the beef can be very variable as it is so susceptible to how it is cooked; however, when it is properly cooked, it is pretty good.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Pressed venison ex LHR last winter
Old May 30, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ukgooner
I almost always have the fish option. It's lighter, and I've generally found (in F) quite lightly cooked. Though I quite like the sound of the poussin.
I would actually go for the exact same hesitation/final choice. I typically have the fish by default. It is often good (occasionally disappointing). Regular chicken can get a bit boring but poussin is cute enough so since I'm not a huge fan of hake, I might go for it.

In answer to HIDDY's point about it being surprising to have hake as a fish option as it is quite a cheap fish overall, interestingly enough, BA F fish dishes are most often cheap fish. I have had pollock, hake, lemon sole, etc. The "poshest" it gets is usually cod. Nonetheless they tend to do it reasonably well compared to the other dishes (although last month's pollock with pinenut sauce and vegetable tagine was really disappointing, mostly on account of the pinenut sauce being not good at all and the fish quite bland).

I would add that BA F main courses are not typically very good and as such, another thing I always consider is the main course salad as in many ways, this is what they do best. Starters and puddings tend to be much better than the main on average.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Bring back the fish pie!
Seconded!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.