Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impressions of BA from a Qatar Platinum

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 9:56 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You've got to watch that one going forward. Qatar are redeploying their A380s such that the CDG services will often be run by A330s and potentially other aircraft, with differing seat combinations, not all of them are good. Also by reducing capacity so much, the fares may creep up a bit.

I'm not a fan of Qatar, they aren't bad overall, but the staff are under the cosh and it shows.
Regrettably, as I travel to BKK a fair bit at the moment, the change will affect me on the way back.

However, I will still start my journey on QR from CDG (on the A380), head to BKK (on the A380), return from BKK (on the A380) and then head to BRU or AMS (on the 787-8).

The flights from CDG, at least in J and F, are usually quite empty. Post Arabic summer, the QR flights to Europe are less busy (especially to CDG), and so I can entirely understand why they have switched one of their A380's out.

It's worth bearing in mind, that September-March DOH-CDG-DOH isn't too busy a route. However, DOH-BKK-DOH over the same period will be. Focus on March-September though, and I'd expect the A380 to make a return in place of the A330.

With regards to the staffing point, either I have been very very lucky, or others have been unlucky.

I have written to QR on 7 out of 12 journeys to commend certain individuals (Joanne, Magdalena, Katarina, Ian, Mohammed L as memorable examples). They were anything but robotic, and pretty much made my journeys!
Old May 18, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Blue
QRPC or BAEC

I am from the UK but now living in Yangon (probably for the next 2-5 years).

I will travel 3-5 times per year back to the UK always on QR in J, a bit within the region, and (key point) always manage half a dozen BA domestic legs for the BAEC 4 sector minimum rule.

Should I go for Platinum on QR?
Or stick with BA, hit Gold, accumulate lifetime TPs?
Old May 18, 2015, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by icegirl
QR now owns 10% of IAG, so it will be interesting to see if QR pushes for changes within BA and Iberia to bring them in align with what they offer.
IAG would just tell them to sod off!!

IB have an excellent long haul product.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Just done my first ever J trip on QR - LHR to BLR.

Economics defined the choice - how can J in QR be cheaper than PE on BA (my normal travel level for LH) although I am not complaining?

i was pretty impressed by QR although underwhelmed by both lounges compared to the First Lounge at T5. Doha one at least provided decent aerobic value as I tried to find somewhere interesting to sit.

For me QR hard product with a decent BA crew - flying heaven!

Sadly I suspect a marriage that I may not see in my travelling lifetime.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ANA Mileage Club
Not to pile it on but I recently was in the CW lounge at ORD - their food selection consisted of cheese (the kind air dropped to war-torn areas), and cup of noodles. Literally. They had cup of ramen noodles in the Club World lounge at ORD. I took a picture of it, I couldn't believe it.

The attendant was dour and looked to have graduated from the Jed Clampett school of service. Way too much effort for way too little service. I almost laughed. Wait. I did.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by JJarmuth07
their food selection consisted of cheese (the kind air dropped to war-torn areas)
To add some balance, in March I flew JNB to DOH on QR, in J. The lounge I was directed to had a really wide range of beer, for some reason, but the food offering was the remains of some sort of curry, plus some very sweaty orange cheese which had clearly been simmering in the heat of the lounge for the best part of the day.

I recently flew BA CW for the first time in a couple of years. Way behind QR, granted, but I can't fault the crew, who were very pleasant and attentive throughout. Then again, QR crew, with one or two exceptions, have been great over the many flights I've flown over the last few years.

The QR lounge at T4 is great, for the food if nothing else. Doha isn't so great, particularly when it's busy, although again the food is good.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:56 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by ppp909
The QR lounge at T4 is great, for the food if nothing else.
And the service, the space, the upkeep, the showers and the 6 choices of vintage champagnes.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
BA staff are highly efficient, as if they are running an air force passenger carrier. Service, therefore, appears to be secondary to this aim.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Wow, some harsh words here! I suppose the trouble is that BA is behind the times, nanny knows best and some cocoa at bedtime will no longer do. I have had some very good BA flights and will continue to fly them - but can't help thinking that its time I got some 'bling'. I'll put QR on my list to try - just as long as they don't stalk me and then lock me up as they did to the BBC journo today just in case I say something nasty about them!
Old May 19, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
A well stated polite post from the OP.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: ECH Gold
Originally Posted by Cambrian
These days I hardly ever fly BA- certainly wouldn't fly them out of choice having migrated to LX/LH and latterly QR.

This week I found myself unexpectedly flying AUH-LHR in CW. I hadn't flown BA for about 18 months and being a regular follower of the BA forum, and all of the plusses and minuses of BA, I was curious to compare the experience to my many recent flights on QR.

The BA flight leaves at 01.45. It's a 777-200 that originates in Muscat. I had a window seat booked to give me a modicum of privacy in the 777 dorm, and to avoid the aisle traffic.

I was almost the last passenger to board. Unlike on Qatar, there was no real welcome on board. No eye contact from crew who were directing everyone down one aisle regardless of where they were sitting. On QR as a Plat I am welcomed back and always acknowledged by the lead crew member at some point during the flight. I wasn't really expecting this on this flight as it was a relatively short night flight. Having said that, as an Emerald I also receive some form of welcome on airlines such as CX, AA and even Dragonair.

I was offered a welcome drink by the crew who would be looking after my side of the plane. She seemed pleasant enough and offered to come back for my jacket.
The BA crew just seemed to lack polish. I hate to say this, but they appeared unkempt and just plain slovenly. As a Brit, I asked myself whether Brits can do service, or whether customer facing roles are seen as demeaning? A hangover from the class system?

Apart from a drink after takeoff, I didn't sample any of the service as I wanted to sleep for the whole flight, which I did. When I woke up shortly before landing I was rather ignored, in contrast to QR where the crew are more pro-active in offering coffee or juice to passengers who are waking but miss breakfast.

We landed at C gates. A bit of a schlep but immigration was smooth and my bag was one of the first out.

As I was heading straight to a meeting, I also decided to sample the Arrivals Lounge in T5.

Once again I experienced the typical BA attitude whereby paying passengers are an inconvenience to staff. This lounge dragon had urgent browsing to do on the internet. Perhaps there was an eBay auction ending imminently, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

I was asked for my boarding pass which I duly handed over. Without even making eye contact, the attendant asked me for the larger portion. I told her that the larger portion was removed on boarding in Abu Dhabi. She frowned and muttered that the larger portion was easier to scan. I apologised for inconveniencing her and moved on.

It's a nice enough lounge. The showers were looking rather ropey, however.
Discoloured seals, noisy plumbing, not a lot of space, and looking rather down at heel, which is how I would probably sum up the whole BA experience.

I then decided to have some breakfast. Not being a regular BA flier I went to sit in the Concorde Breakfast Room. I was then asked (rather rudely) if I had an invitation. I had no idea what the attendant was talking about until she told me that it was for First passengers only. I asked if being oneworld Emerald helped. She didn't know so I went to the desk to ask. It didn't help and I was rebuffed.

Fair enough, but why not put a sign up to save customers any embarrassment? It did not leave a good impression with me, especially when the room was empty at the time. QR offers a sit down breakfast to all J and F passengers in Doha.

Poor BA. I really believe that they don't understand how mediocre they are, and how far they are falling behind. The flight was fine- nothing bad happened, but I see a lack of standards and care at every turn. In an increasingly competitive environment and as a London resident, I just cannot think of any reason to fly BA when competitors offer a far better experience from check in through to arrivals lounges.

What is even more worrying for BA is that now QR are part of oneworld I am seeing increasing numbers of BA Golds on QR flights. Does BA even care?
Based upon this flight, I don't think that QR need be too worried about the competition.
I am a regular BA flyer, however I redeemed some miles to go to Singapore and used Qatar. The highlights were excellent lounges and the aircraft very clean and a nice product.

The staff were efficient, used my name , however no depth to the service. It was all so scripted. The BA crew are generally quite jolly and put some personality into the service.

On talking to the Qatar crew they have 6 cabin staff looking after 28 business class customers , whereas on BA 's 777 they have 4 to look after 48.

I don't need service from a text book, i find the subservient manner uncomfortable. Although I enjoyed the experience as it was something different I will be sticking to BA.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HIDDY
IB have an excellent long haul product.
+1. I think that IB J (especially new J) is very good and would be a good model for CW to emulate IMHO.

On the broader topic, I also regularly fly QR J. I am less enthusiastic in my assessment than some others on this thread.

Let me first start by saying that under the right conditions, QR J onboard experience can be excellent. Flying it on the A380 is fab because of a mixture of the new seats, the mattresses which seem available every time, and the bar, complete with Krug and occasionally lovely snacks.

Also on the plus side, the overall quality of food and drink (both alcoholic and soft) makes BA feel like economy in comparison. QR lounges are also much better not only at DOH but even at LHR (where it is actually nicer than CCR), and you [sometimes -- see below!] get great touches of luxury such as mattresses, pyjamas, and better amenity kits and eye masks. This is notwithstanding the fact that luxury does not always equate taste, and I find the QR style somewhat misaligned with my personal preferences (let's be honest, it is intended to flash and to impress and more luxurious than elegant, and pretty much the polar opposite of subtle).

More importantly, however, "sometimes" though is going to be a theme, because I find QR inconsistent and sometimes hard to predict. Plane wise for instance, I mentioned the great A380. The 787 is also very good in J (less good but also has the new seats), the 777 is good, the A330s and A340s mediocre in comparison. So first reason to be less enthusiastic is a certain unevenness of experience depending on aircraft type.

The inconsistency in service can also relate to other aspects of the experience: it remains a partial mystery to me when you get pyjamas and full amenity kits and when you don't ("night flights" seems the official explanation but it is not actually that simple in practice, and as the airline mostly has flights which either take off or land in the middle of the night, the concept of night flight is not always obvious anyway), food offerings vary, and it is even unclear when you do/do not get to reclear security at DOH!

My main issue with QR, however, is everything to do with back office. The airline is great when everything works but when something goes wrong all hell breaks loose. I know many people complain about how BA handles such issues but frankly, why they are far from best in class, they are still heads and shoulders above QR. It could be anything from your credit card not being processed by the website because you try to book a ticket from a country which is not that where the card is registered to a powerful local suddenly deciding that he needs all the J seats on "that" plane and you being randomly downgraded to make room for his party, or a random change in schedule. QR back office are an amazing mixture of incompetence and arbitrariness and more than any passenger used to a minimum of organisation can handle.

I would add that I do sympathise with the comments expressed above regarding the negative human rights record of the region and that it does, to an extent, influence my choices (I do however disagree with the notion of robotic service, this is not my experience) but I thought that there is enough to focus on when it comes to the strict comparison between airline services.

In short, I do agree that someone used to QR will find a lot of important shortcomings in the BA offerings, and I find BA J very significantly inferior to QR overall (especially if you avoid the A330s/A340s). Nevertheless, QR is not the model which I would personally wish BA to follow. There are other airlines which I think do it more consistently, more professionally, and more elegantly than QR does and which, in my view, would be more appropriate sources of inspiration when it comes to trying to emulate "best practice".
Old May 19, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Sorry to go slightly off topic, however it seems like there are quite a few regular QR flyers in this thread. I am about to book a Lhr /doh / Dxb fare with QR would I earn tier points on each leg?
Old May 19, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by carat22
Sorry to go slightly off topic, however it seems like there are quite a few regular QR flyers in this thread. I am about to book a Lhr /doh / Dxb fare with QR would I earn tier points on each leg?
Hi,

As long as the fare is a qualifying fare for tier points you would get tier points for each leg.

Regards

TBS
Old May 19, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.