Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are these connecting flights too close?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Are these connecting flights too close?

In June, i arrive at LHR from the US at 9:50 am and am booked to continue on to Manchester at 11:00 am flying Club World. My eticket says terminal 5 for both flights. Do I go thru customs and immigration in London or Manchester?
Old May 10, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You clear immigration at LHR, customs at MAN.
You do have to pass through security at LHR and yes it's not enough time.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I misread the time. Flight to manchester is 11:55. Still not enough time? Fastpass is good for what? Security or immigration? Is immegration done different for people staying in London as opposed to continuing on to domestic flight?
Thanks again.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:27 pm

I had thought that MCT international to domestic within T5 was 60 minutes (as per this: http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...nal-5-domestic)

I'd always want more time than that to be relaxed, but should be "enough" and should also be protected in case of misconnect.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Your passport check is carried out at flight connections and is separate from immigration for customers ending their journey at LHR, fast track gets you through the flight connection lines quicker but can still be very busy.
Your longer connection is now ok.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

2 hours will be more than sufficient to transfer at T5 unless there is a major delay ( but you will be protected )

Regards

TBS
Old May 10, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by Judy795
Thanks. I misread the time. Flight to manchester is 11:55. Still not enough time? Fastpass is good for what? Security or immigration? Is immegration done different for people staying in London as opposed to continuing on to domestic flight?
Thanks again.
If your flight is at 11:55 you'll have plenty of time to make your connection. You can use fast track security and access GC lounges in T5 (unless you're Gold/OWE or higher).
Old May 10, 2015, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are on a single ticket and thus, if you misconnect, BA will rebook. MAN has later options, so merely a hassle if you misconnect. But, plenty of time. Note that BA won't let you book an "illegal" connection (below MCT).
Old May 10, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schultzois
I had thought that MCT international to domestic within T5 was 60 minutes (as per this: http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...nal-5-domestic)

I'd always want more time than that to be relaxed, but should be "enough" and should also be protected in case of misconnect.
It is enough time ... I have done 60 minute connections on many occasions. There is sometimes a need to run of course!

For a comfortable connection 2 hours is sufficient.

Originally Posted by Judy795
Thanks again.
The immigration protocol is the same: Manchester and London are both in the UK, and London to Manchester is a domestic, internal flight, which also carries passengers who have not left the UK. Passport control is completed where you first arrive in the UK (London).

In LHR Terminal 5 there is a separate passport control area for those connecting compared to those arriving. But it is clearly signposted. Just follow the purple Flight Connections UK signs.

I don't actually think there is a customs formality in Manchester at the domestic exit (I've never noticed one) but of course HMRC are entitled to inspect you and your luggage at any time. If you have a customs enquiry there might be a red telephone to use.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Personally on routes where there are multiple connections on the same day, I will take the shortest and if i misconnect will accept the rebooking onto the next flight. I've made transfers in T5 in less then 40 minutes due to a late inbound, and I never rushed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.