Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tax on Being Tall?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Tax on Being Tall?

Yes I know it's old ground, but why can't extra-tall people get an allowance on a flight for a free exit seat ? BA will make allowances for obese people but not tall. My 6'4" son is travelling LHR-YYZ and BA won't budge on waiving the £55 fee in WT
Old May 4, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Interesting! What do they do for the gravitationally challenged?
Old May 4, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
And so they shouldn't.

How tall is "extra-tall"? Anything above 6'4" or would 6'3" qualify? Or maybe 6'2"?
Old May 4, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Tax on Being Tall?

Because being 6'4" isn't a disability.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Wings of Tinkerbell
Yes I know it's old ground, but why can't extra-tall people get an allowance on a flight for a free exit seat ? BA will make allowances for obese people but not tall. My 6'4" son is travelling LHR-YYZ and BA won't budge on waiving the £55 fee in WT
What do they do for obese passengers?
Old May 4, 2015, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Obese people will spill their bulk in standard seats through their overeating aor medical conditions but my slim, athletic yet tall 23yr old's knees will not fit into a standard seat.

And I've seen an obese person being led into a higher class of cabin due to their size by the bursar. :/
Old May 4, 2015, 6:05 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Where do you set the bar though? 6'? 6'2"? 6'4"? Someone is always going to end up losing out. Then, what about the same consideration for those who are carrying a few more pounds?

Economy carries an element of discomfort by design, even for those who would be considered far from extraordinary in terms of their height or weight.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Obese people will spill their bulk in standard seats through their overeating and lack of self control but my slim, athletic but tall 23yr old's knees will not fit into a standard seat.
Then he (or you) will have to stump up the £55 to get him a seat with some extra leg room. Them's the rules!
Old May 4, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
But how do BA make allowances (rather than expecting their passengers to do so?)

I'm only 6'0" but I'm all legs so I do have some sympathy, but honestly not all that much. £55 is roughly 10% of the cost of a transatlantic seat and he's getting at least 10% more space for that.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Obese people will spill their bulk in standard seats through their overeating aor medical conditions but my slim, athletic yet tall 23yr old's knees will not fit into a standard seat.
Poor guy. Have you considered setting up crowdfunding to raise the 55 quid?
Old May 4, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Somebody who is overweight may affect the comfort of other passengers, so it is entirely reasonable to ensure they buy another seat (which is more likely) or move them somewhere that doesn't cause someone else's discomfort.
Your son is the only person being inconvenienced by his height. If you aren't willing to pay extra for a bulkhead seat or a higher class of travel, then really it is you inconveniencing him.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
On overnight flights I find it much more comfortable to have a flat bed, but BA refuse to waive the fare difference between WT and CW. It's unbelievable.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:14 am

I can assure you (as a shorty) that the benefits of being tall are worth a lot more over a lifetime than the occasional £55 seat fee!
Old May 4, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
On overnight flights I find it much more comfortable to have a flat bed, but BA refuse to waive the fare difference between WT and CW. It's unbelievable.
Nice one ^
Old May 4, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
This is an outrage. Did they at least offer you avios as compensation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.