Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EC tag modesty.. or not?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I have inside my hold luggage stuck to the lid my email address and postcode. I do not display any other form of ID on the outside of my bags. not my BAEC Blue/Bronze/Silver/Gold card at what level I'm at at the time.
John
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by simons1
When working in South Africa I was told by a colleague that the use of Gold tags was much appreciated by the baggage handlers.
... and probably a few other places

When I (rarely) have checked bags, there is always a FF card INSIDE the luggage, so that it can be used if required by the finding airline to direct it back to me.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
[deleted]

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I don't use the tags on my checked luggage but I do sometimes use them on my carry-on luggage.

If I'm intending to use the overhead locker, I usually put the tag on my bag just in case it gets moved around in the overhead and/or if there are any problems, the crew can quickly identify who it belongs to. I hate displaying tags though so I usually flip it out of the bag pocket at the very last minute. 90% of the time I don't use the overhead anyway as my bag is almost always small enough to fit easily under the seat in front. I guess I'm a "stealth" tagger. The last thing I want is for anyone to see the tag so about as opposite as you can get from the people who display them proudly even when they're nowhere near an airport.

Originally Posted by thejohn
I have inside my hold luggage stuck to the lid my email address and postcode. I do not display any other form of ID on the outside of my bags. not my BAEC Blue/Bronze/Silver/Gold card at what level I'm at at the time.
John
I do something similar except I actually put the gold card inside. It's the compromise option if you want to use tags for ID without being ostentatious.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I suppose there's a [weak] case for having a special Gold card with "HNL only" over-stamped on the front, to differentiate from a proper Gold card.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Question

Originally Posted by antichef
... I find it funny in GF @ T5 to see so many gold tags on carry on luggage. You cant impress anyone there as EVERYONE has one, thats how you get in!!
Originally Posted by fripperies
I do something similar except I actually put the gold card inside. It's the compromise option if you want to use tags for ID without being ostentatious.
I'm intrigued, why do you chaps think those who use the tags do so to impress? What is the basis for arriving at that conclusion? How do you know the intent of the tag user?

This is a genuine question, I really am intrigued.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
On a flight back from NAS last year my baggage arrived on the carrousel at T5 without the paper barcoded tag which must have come off somewhere, but it was still bearing my BAEC tag so they certainly do have their practical uses.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by T8191
I suppose there's a [weak] case for having a special Gold card with "HNL only" over-stamped on the front, to differentiate from a proper Gold card.
No need for that, Uncle T, I brought back a souvenir specifically for that purpose!

Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
There's a few threads on this if you search. I think that they can be summed up as:

Some people enjoy using their shiny tags.
Some people look down on those who use their shiny tags.
Some people just use them since they happen to be free, and to hand when they need a tag for their bag.

Up to you which camp you join.
You missed out:

Some people inwardly smile in an "ah, bless" sort of way at those who use their shiny tags.

Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
You missed out:

Some people inwardly smile in an "ah, bless" sort of way at those who use their shiny tags.

... but why???
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I'm intrigued, why do you chaps think those who use the tags do so to impress? What is the basis for arriving at that conclusion? How do you know the intent of the tag user?

This is a genuine question, I really am intrigued.
It's an interesting one. I can only think that people who feel this way either look down upon / pity people who use them due to stereotyping, or fear being viewed in this way by others (maybe both). Since my view is that tags do not a DYKWIA make, I'm of the same opinion as orbitmic:

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm in camp no4. I have absolutely no problem with people using the tags. I think they are fine and am glad people find them useful. However, I do not put them on my bags myself. In my case, it is not modesty in the "unpretentious" sense, but more modesty in the "intimacy" way, as in I don't enjoy the notion of people I do not know having more elements of information about my person (including status) than need be.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
... but why???
I think they look silly with little to no practical use. Might as well tie a pink ribbon to a bag (other colours are available) - just as functional and less likely to be ripped off.

But that's just me and I do manage to live with my flaws.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:05 am

This board often shows examples of people projecting their own fears onto the observed behaviour of others.

If someone eschews using the tags because they saw a DYKWIA with them, would they also buy a different brand of luggage than the one s/he was toting?

I can't really see how anyone can see a fellow passenger and determine the motivation of their using - or not - the tags they have been given. I don't think it's worth my time speculating why someone might or might not be using the tags/lounge/mobile BP/fast track etc and until I found FT I had no idea that so many people seem care about such things.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My hold luggage has high-visibility straps and labels, but NOT BAEC tags.

My hand luggage has an FT tag (in case another FT-er wants to say hello), a leather name tag (in case bag and I ever get separated) .... and my DYKWIA HNL Gold tag
The latter (and its Silver predecessor) appears to have facilitated ground agent intervention/assistance on a couple of occasions, and probably prevented me being interrogated about 'being in the wrong queue'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.