Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T3 to T5 travelling First - allowable transit time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, BAEC

About to book a return flight to LHR from CPT on EK arriving at 11:35. Departing BA 117 out of T5 at 13:15. Flying First (both legs) so priority check in and security at T5. Doable??? Foolhardy? Can the experts here advise? It seems realistic given no queues for check in or security.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Single ticket, yes doable and realistic. Worst case scenario is you would be rebooked on to the next NYC service.

Two tickets: don't do it unless your BA ticket is flexible / semi flexible.

Two tickets and checked bags: probably impossible.

It's an airside bus, and gate to gate I can do it in 45 minutes fairly reliably, which suggests anything over 75 minutes is OK. MCT is 90 minutes however.

Being First makes very little difference, you can use the Fast Track for the boarding pass check, but overall it is best not to use Fast Track in security upstairs.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you CWS. I thought as much but needed to hear it from an expert. Award ticket on BA. I will pay a little extra, book the earlier flight on EK and just spend some quality time in the CCR. Not such a bad alternative.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brewgator
Thank you CWS. I thought as much but needed to hear it from an expert. Award ticket on BA. I will pay a little extra, book the earlier flight on EK and just spend some quality time in the CCR. Not such a bad alternative.
Definitely the more sensible option. I don't like giving myself less than 2 hours connection at LHR.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
The fact that you can't transfer in 100 minutes is a damning indictment on LHR
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
You can - the MCT between T3 and T5 is 90 minutes.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Booked the 7:10 arrival out of Dubai. Not going to chance that tight a connection. Will allow for plenty of flex time at T5 which is all to the good. It's for Feb 2016 so weather may not be all that cooperative. Better to play it safe. like I said in my other post, not a bad alternative. Many thanks for all of the input.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
It's not the connection time, it's the risk of delays when travelling on two separate tickets and being denied boarding with no obligation on the airline to accommodate you.

You only have to be about 45 minutes late and the position is hopeless. With award bookings I know it's not easy, but I'd much, much prefer to be on a single ticket or at least a single alliance, at least to the extent that I couldn't afford to replace my trip without financial hardship.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Of course you can transfer in less than 100 minutes from T3 to T5 and vice versa. tbh be honest I would struggle to take more than 60 minutes if I tried. As noted the problem if on two tickets (as the OP is) is that if you get delayed by say 40 minutes or more you would struggle. This is exactly the same at any airport in the world. If you are sufficiently delayed coming in no amount of transfer speed is going to help you do a transfer in time.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done it in 35ish with a lot of running

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.