Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-EU Scrutiny at DUB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by thadocta
Thanks for that. What would happen if I actually arrived without my UK passport? Or wouldn't it get that far (since I might be denied boarding)?

If denied boarding, any compensation owing (a UK citizen denied boarding due to no passport, travelling to a country - Ireland - which does not require UK citizens to carry a passport to enter).

Any thoughts on this one?

Dave
I think rather than concentrating on the 'what ifs' just ensure you have your British passport with you to ease your way to/through/out of DUB.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I think rather than concentrating on the 'what ifs' just ensure you have your British passport with you to ease your way to/through/out of DUB.
And what if I am planning on going bush (off the beaten track) when I get to Ireland, and plan on carrying as little documentation with me, so that if things go pear shaped, I will have that documentation to be able to continue my travels when things get back to normal?

(I am into adventure sports and camping, so pretty easy to lose stuff, I prefer to carry as little as possible).

Dave
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:42 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Ex-EU Scrutiny at DUB

You won't get denied boarding on a BA flight to DUB. They don't check passports / ID

The problem will occur when you land with Garda.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by rxfleming
You won't get denied boarding on a BA flight to DUB. They don't check passports / ID

The problem will occur when you land with Garda.
So what happens then? I, in a nice thick Strine accent, say "I am a pommie" (I wouldn't actually say that, I would say I am a British Citizen) and I don't need to travel on a passport.

Any thoughts?

Dave
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
You need to have photographic id to enter the ROI, if you are a UK Citizen, that can be a Passport or UK Full Driving License, i would suggest that if there are going to be any issues, with proving your citizenship, then carry your passport..

However i would read the following, it has the official answers :

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...nd_the_uk.html

Also of note certain airlines wont let you fly to Ireland without a passport.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:18 pm
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
So what happens then? I, in a nice thick Strine accent, say "I am a pommie" (I wouldn't actually say that, I would say I am a British Citizen) and I don't need to travel on a passport.

Any thoughts?

Dave
The onus is on you to prove that you have are a British or Irish citizen, other forms of id are adequate. Even the few domestics services require you to go through passport control at DUB - though I have found the boarding pass to be adequate id.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that. What would happen if I actually arrived without my UK passport? Or wouldn't it get that far (since I might be denied boarding)?
Anything from a "you have wasted an hour of our day but you may come in" to "back to Australia in Y" (okay the last one is unlikely).

If denied boarding, any compensation owing (a UK citizen denied boarding due to no passport, travelling to a country - Ireland - which does not require UK citizens to carry a passport to enter).
Zero. The airlines have some discretion in this. I think public policy would not be aligned in your favour.

This is the information the airline will see when making its decision to board you or not. I have emboldened the important part.
Code:
Information as of  12APR15 / 2128 UTC
National United Kingdom (GB)

Embarkation United Kingdom (GB)

Destination Ireland (Rep.) (IE)

Passport and Visa Information: Destinations
Ireland (Rep.) (IE)
Information: Normal Passports
Passport required.
- British passports endorsed  British Citizen  must be valid
on arrival.
- British passports endorsed  British Subject  which also
contain a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode
issued by the United Kingdom, must be valid on arrival.
- Other British passports and/or passport replacing documents
must be valid for the period of intended stay.
- British passports endorsed  British Citizen  that have been
extended 12 months by an extension stamp contained within
the passport are accepted.
Passport Exemptions:
- Holders of proof of nationality issued to nationals of
Ireland (Rep.) and British subjects for travel between
Ireland (Rep.) and Great Britain and Northern Ireland only.
- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.
Visa required, except for Holders of British passports
endorsed:
-  British Citizen ; or
-  British National (Overseas) ; or
-  British Overseas Territories Citizen .

Minors:
- Children up to/incl.16 years of age

- A separate visa is required for children up to/incl. 16
years of age, provided
Health and Information: Destinations
Ireland (Rep.) (IE)

Vaccinations not required.

CHECK
- UNITED KINGDOM: EEA FAMILY RESIDENCE
PERMITS
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
That would be an extremely silly thing to do. You risk being flown back at your own expense, and/or possibly after spending a few hours in immigration detention whilst your case is settled and you can be assured that this is no pleasant adventure. Carrying appropriate documentation (in this case passport or proof of citizenship) doesn't usually come with "if it's not too inconvenient" as a proviso.

And what if I am planning on going bush (off the beaten track) when I get to Ireland, and plan on carrying as little documentation with me, so that if things go pear shaped, I will have that documentation to be able to continue my travels when things get back to normal?

(I am into adventure sports and camping, so pretty easy to lose stuff, I prefer to carry as little as possible).

Dave
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Ex-EU Scrutiny at DUB

Yes, please don't bugger about with the CTA, it's very dear to me.

The onus is on the traveller to prove British or Irish citizenship. You cannot just turn up at the gardaí control and say "I was born in London, let me in". You must prove it. Usually, and most sensibly, this is by way of a passport. A UK driving licence with a place of birth on it is also acceptable.

The CTA originates as a result of political relations between the two countries principally to maintain a completely open land border and nothing else. It wasn't to "save carrying a passport" or anything like that. The principle is simply that British and Irish citizens may pass freely between each other's respective countries.

I always use either my UK or Irish passport when travelling to or from the Republic.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:58 pm

They are now cracking down on illegals at the border again and operations are more frequent.

It has been confirmed that a crackdown on illegal immigrants was behind Monday's major Garda operation on the N1 dual carriageway in north Louth. Southbound traffic approaching the start of the M1 motorway from the border, was funnelled into checkpoints via the off-ramp at Junction 18, Dundalk North. A number of arrests were made during the operation, which lasted a number of hours and was led by the Garda National Immigration Bureau

http://www.lmfm.ie/Local-News-Info/Article/?ItemID=4181
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL

Dave
Sorry, this is silly. You want to travel, carry ID. You don't want to travel, don't.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond

Any thoughts?

Dave
Yup - save yourself the aggro, take your passport, and save everyone else in the queue behind you an unnecessary wait
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Many Americans travel to Dublin and pop up to Belfast on the train.
Originally Posted by paul4040
That they do, and proper immigration checks are very unusual on the Enterprise train. That's just how it works. It's difficult to explain, because those Americans would not strictly be travelling legally between the two countries. It is an understandable mistake for them to make as there is a lack of understanding about the geography and politics of the British Isles outside our islands. (Many outsiders already assumed Scotland was independent before the referendum!)
I thought that I understood that CTA reasonably well (from a UK/EI passport holder perspective) ... but now I'm wondering how is it possible for a non UK/EI person to legally enter Northern Ireland from the South ... since there is no opportunity to get their passport checked ?!

Are they supposed to go to a police station on arrival in the North and ask to be stamped in ??
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Andrew.Smith
I thought that I understood that CTA reasonably well (from a UK/EI passport holder perspective) ... but now I'm wondering how is it possible for a non UK/EI person to legally enter Northern Ireland from the South ... since there is no opportunity to get their passport checked ?!

Are they supposed to go to a police station on arrival in the North and ask to be stamped in ??
First off, the abbreviations for Ireland are IE or IRL. EI is Aer Lingus.

An EU, EEA or Swiss national does not need leave to enter the UK and may pass across the land border without any further ado. A non-EEA national who is not a visa national who enters the UK via the land border is deemed to have been given leave to enter as a visitor for 90 days. A visa national (or a non-EEA national who requires leave under some other category) must report to an immigration officer. Exactly how this is done is less than clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.