Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-EU Scrutiny at DUB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by kt74
Back OT

I tend to get more problems with customs than immigration... which sort of makes sense - even though I have an exotic passport, I'll make day trips around the EU for my day job, so ex-EUs are no different to that

However, wandering through customs with no bags, not in a suit, and answering questions honestly ("Why are you in Norway?" "To change planes and fly to Sydney"; "From Stavanger to Sydney?" "Well, it saved me NOK20,000"; "What are you going to do here?" "Dunno, haven't decided, probably go to town and get a cup of coffee - what do you recommend?") doesn't really help your cause...

But you are travelling within the EU anyway, so shouldn't be subject to any customs inspections regardless of what passport you have (which they shouldn't see anyway, unless you go through customs waving it)
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sts603
To provide some context, I'm an American citizen with a work visa in the UK. Went through DUB twice in the last week on both sides of an ex-EU. Both had overnights in DUB.

Outbound, when asked why I was there, I said transit, officer said are you heading back to the States tomorrow, I said yes (which was true, just via London), stamped and sent on my way.

On the return I of course didn't have that option so had to get into the full explanation. The officer had a chuckle, said this was a new one, but never doubted that it was financially beneficial to do what I was doing. HE did, however, ask how often I would be doing it? I noted once a month probably for the next several. He noted that the number of green stamps may raise some questions. He then said that since I already had a 90 day stamp from last week he would "condition me" which essentially meant he placed a different stamp in my passport where he could hand write that I was coming in for transit and would fly to London the next day. All of this was pleasant and relatively quick.

But wanted to see if this had happened to anyone else and if be concerned that this will be a bigger issue?
I have done this at AMS on a Canadian passport without any problems.
(excluding sleeping in the airport, but, that was my decision.)
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I suspect the only worry would be about people doing the short hop repeatedly to renew entry entitlements with an effective desire to immigrate on a visitor status. I would just continue telling the truth and think you have nothing to worry about.
Indeed. ^

"I'm saving money" is a completely understandable excuse! You don't even need to explain tier points

Originally Posted by irishguy28
and there are worries that the CTA wouldn't survive a British departure from the EU.
This is scare talk.

We simply don't have enough battle-hardened troops to impose the border any more
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by IverTheCat
But you are travelling within the EU anyway, so shouldn't be subject to any customs inspections regardless of what passport you have (which they shouldn't see anyway, unless you go through customs waving it)
In his example, kt74 gave Norway as an example. Norway is not an EU state

Anyway, to share my experience, I was stopped briefly at DUB (was flying LCY-DUB-LCY to position for my DUB-HNL flight) and the immigration officer asked a few questions (mainly why was I making a 3-hour turnaround trip to DUB) and why didn't BA just allow me to fly from LHR (and cancel my DUB-LCY since there is no point in flying that segment) instead of making me fly from DUB instead since I was turning around in DUB

Was also questioned briefly in SVG when I mentioned that I am only there for one night, but that went well and they were very friendly and courteous (they were more curious if I was bringing in drugs more than anything).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:58 pm

A lot of people here will be in for a real shock when the EU quite predictably implodes/explodes.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
A lot of people here will be in for a real shock when the EU quite predictably implodes/explodes.
So far, it has been the Daily Mail due for a shock that the EU has predictably not exposed/imploded despite their continuous promise for at least 30 years that it imminently would.

As for porous borders, Schengen empirically has much tighter borders than both Britain and the U.S. with illegal entry being proportionally lower. It also has a stricter and tighter unified visa regime (for better or worse) which avoids people trying their luck with multiple countries.

This is omni however, what is not is that the best strategy when asked questions by immigration authorities is to be truthful and be ready to show evidence (eg eticket of your next flight). Bear in mind there is an interpretative element in the work of immigration authorities so it is important not to say anything that could lead them to think you are being deceptive.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by nov11
In his example, kt74 gave Norway as an example. Norway is not an EU state
But Norway is a full member of Schengen so part of the pan-Europe free movement of people without immigration or customs controls.

Europe sans frontières.

Unlike the UK, which is a full EU member!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:12 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Of course the issue that most UK politicians fail to explain to the public is that should the UK exit the EU and wish to continue to trade with the EU, it would probably have to sign a similar agreement to those in place with Norway and Switzerland.
People keep saying this, but it doesn't make any sense. Firstly, despite all the "downsides" of being outside the EU, the populace of Norway and Switzerland seem to be quite happy with the current situation, even if many of their politicians (who would benefit personally) wish their country was a full member.

Secondly, (e.g.) Canada's population is half of the UK's and nobody would think that Canada should join the EU in order to trade with it, so why should the UK be any different?

Back on topic, if flying through DUB is a problem, go to BHD and take a train. If you don't drop the return, then you can legitimately say that it was cheaper to fly to DUB on the way to NI than to Belfast directly.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:19 am

Tell the truth the immigration here are pretty decent and if they see you are telling the truth I doubt there would be any issues.

Regards the CTA and for someone who lives along the border its never going to have a physical border with CTA scrapped. Very hard to understand its complex rules for non Irish / British and even British people find it confusing at times.

The main reason that the CTA will never be scrapped is that bringing in border controls between Donegal/Derry , Down/Louth etc.. would set the peace process back 30 years. As we have seen in the Belfast flag protests things can turn ugly very quickly.

The Gardai are more interested in the current issue of IRA fuel smuggling and polluting the rivers on both sides of the border than lifting an American or Chinese citizen off the Enterprise for not following the rules on a day trip to Dublin. That being said random patrols do still happen.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
People keep saying this, but it doesn't make any sense. Firstly, despite all the "downsides" of being outside the EU, the populace of Norway and Switzerland seem to be quite happy with the current situation, even if many of their politicians (who would benefit personally) wish their country was a full member.

Secondly, (e.g.) Canada's population is half of the UK's and nobody would think that Canada should join the EU in order to trade with it, so why should the UK be any different?
I would be rather surprised if the UK could negotiate a "good" deal for trading with the EU after upsetting the apple cart. I know people claim that the sheer volume of trade the UK has would compel matters in its favour, but it would set a precedent the EU is happy to pay to avoid.

Canada has a trading pact with the United States and is in the process of negotiating one with the European Union, but the EU has been dragging its heels about it.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by :D!

The reason people keep on saying this is because it is true. Both Norway and Switzerland pay a large sum towards the creation of EU regulations and have to accept the free movement of people. As an EU citizen you have as much right to live and work in either country as in a full EU member state. Both countries are also full Schengen members by the way.

I am not sure why you believe that the populace of either country is quite happy with the current situation.

In Norway the payment for EU regulation is viewed in the same way as the North American colonies viewed George III's taxes - protests about "no taxation without representation" are still alive and well in Norway.

In Switzerland there has been a dramatic rise in right wing parties advocating strict controls on immigration, including immigration from EU countries over which the Swiss government had ceded competence. Moves to restrict immigration as a result of a referendum recently put Switzerland on a collision course with the EU.

Quite happy? Perhaps not.

As for the UK, to be able to set its own regulations and not have to accept free movement of people - that would require the EU to make significant concessions that go to the heart of the EU's reason for existence. Since such concessions would be detrimental to the EU's remaining members as they would give the UK an unfair competitive advantage (and the exit of the UK is likely to ruffle many feathers too), does any rationale person really believe that there is absolute certainty that a deal on such terms would be forthcoming? That is what those who support the exit of the UK believe.

Finally, Canada trades with the EU. It does not have total free trade uninhibited by tariffs. That is what the free trade talks with the USA and NAFTA are about creating, but they have not reached agreement in all areas yet.

Also, many large countries trade with the EU - China is an obvious example. China is free to set its own regulations. However, any goods it wants to export to the EU must comply with EU product regulations. If the EU is also unhappy about the conditions under which the goods are made their import may be banned, restricted or subject to a tariff. Exports from a 'free' UK would probably be treated the same.

The problem with the debates over immigration and the UK's membership of the EU is that many of the participants are either unaware of or ignore the facts of the matter. I would strongly advise anyone to look at the facts before making their mind up.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by IverTheCat
1. It was Norway
2. I was using the free wifi at the airport, so passed through customs 30 mins after everyone else
3. It was empty apart from me and 3 bored customs officers, one of whom pulled me over and asked to see my passport
4. She was pretty, so I relented
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by irishguy28
CTA provisions only apply to British and Irish citizens.

For non-EU citizens, travel between the UK and Ireland is crossing a "regular" international frontier and they are not exempted in any way from immigration formalities. We have had reports down the years about people coming acropper by assuming they are allowed to freely travel around the CTA without a passport and/or without submitting that passport for the recording of each entry into each country.
Just curious about this whole thing, and going a bit OT here.

I am a dual AU/UK national, AU by birth, UK by descent, and have both passports.

I also have a very broad Aussie accent, and all of my ID (apart from the UK passport) is Australian issued.

I have the right to enter Ireland from the UK without a passport, but is it possible to assert this right without a passport? In other words, I need my UK passport to prove that I don't need my UK passport to enter Ireland. Or is there another way around this? DO the Irish authorities have a way of checking my eligibility if I arrive without my UK passport?

Dave
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thadocta
Just curious about this whole thing, and going a bit OT here.

I am a dual AU/UK national, AU by birth, UK by descent, and have both passports.

I also have a very broad Aussie accent, and all of my ID (apart from the UK passport) is Australian issued.

I have the right to enter Ireland from the UK without a passport, but is it possible to assert this right without a passport? In other words, I need my UK passport to prove that I don't need my UK passport to enter Ireland. Or is there another way around this? DO the Irish authorities have a way of checking my eligibility if I arrive without my UK passport?

Dave
A UK/Irish-issued driving licence with a place of birth in the UK/Ireland is sometimes accepted. But in your case, no.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Calchas
A UK/Irish-issued driving licence with a place of birth in the UK/Ireland is sometimes accepted. But in your case, no.
Thanks for that. What would happen if I actually arrived without my UK passport? Or wouldn't it get that far (since I might be denied boarding)?

If denied boarding, any compensation owing (a UK citizen denied boarding due to no passport, travelling to a country - Ireland - which does not require UK citizens to carry a passport to enter).

Any thoughts on this one?

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.