Wiki Posts
Search

No soft landing [false alarm]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by golfmad
We don't know whether there are any new rules yet. We don't really know anything yet.

One point that stands out for me is that the OP says in post #1:

"I called again at lunch time and got the same response and says that this has always been the case"

That doesn't make it sound like the rules have just been changed. I hate to be the 'voice of reason' but we don't really know anything yet until we receive some official confirmation from somebody from BAEC who is in a position to comment.
I have still submitted a webform complaint to get an "official" response for my case. As I said, I will update when I get it.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Prospero
Received from a very reliable source: soft landings were quietly removed at the beginning of this year.
That definitely wasn't the case in the circumstances I outlined in Post 27.

While I have been predicting it for a while now and remain confident that the soft landing will go some time in the near to medium future, I remain unconvinced that it's already happened.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:14 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.3; en-gb; GT-I9300 Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I don't think this has ever been listed in the official T&Cs as a benefit - looking back at a random date in 2010, there was nothing specific about soft landings but just this clause:

6.3. Tier level may be reduced at British Airways' discretion depending on the Tier Points earned or total number of eligible flights taken in the previous Year. Tier Points earned or eligible flights completed prior to the beginning of the relevant Year will not be counted for this purpose.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100530130836/http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ecterms/public/en_gb
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
So, which is more reliable?
I too am really lost here. We seem to have two very definite and entirely contradictory/mutually incompatible answers.

Part of me tends to believe the more negative because it is more "in character" for the current BA, and part of me thinks that even by BA's standards, removing something as significant as soft landing without saying so while they had to write to BAEC members multiple times to announce different disasters would be odd.

What is pretty obvious is that BAEC seems to have deserted Flyertalk and showed their complete lack of interest in it. A couple of years ago, Nicci would have jumped in within minutes to settle that somewhat surreal argument one way or another. Sad
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

BA would never have had to say anything since it was never documented (afaik) that there actually was a soft landing

If the benefit was never officially in existence, then there would be no need to say it was being removed surely?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA would never have had to say anything since it was never documented (afaik) that there actually was a soft landing

If the benefit was never officially in existence, then there would be no need to say it was being removed surely?
From the official rep on here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10018718-post9.html

So, it was dcoumented at some point.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Maybe it has become discretionary and not automatic as stated in the T&C and depends on your flying petterns? Non-BA-flight-heavy person- no soft landing, BA flight-heavy person, soft landing.

Well I hope for the sake of Silver members who hard earn it that the automatic soft landing has been removed so that the GC crowding will be eased!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 3, 2015 at 2:10 am
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
From the official rep on here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10018718-post9.html

So, it was dcoumented at some point.
It was never documented as a benefit in the published terms ; that it was the way the scheme operated, didn't make it published and so need to be announced should it be changed
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I soft landed from silver to bronze just three days ago. Had the requried number of flights for bronze but nowhere near enough tier points to earn it outright.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Come on BA if you're listening, it was your agents that set this hare running. Please clarify ASAP.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:20 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I emailed the FT BAExecutiveClub account about 3 weeks ago, and a helpful chap called Cameron sorted me out.

Why not message him?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I emailed the FT BAExecutiveClub account about 3 weeks ago, and a helpful chap called Cameron sorted me out.

Why not message him?
Two reasons. You can never entirely on what any single BA agent tells you,(*) however sensible they sound, unless they are an authorised channel for company policy. Also, the name does not inspire confidence when it comes to trusting what he says.

(*) edited to add: that's not a comment on their competence, it's a realistic recognition that BA often don't tell their employees what company policy is.

Last edited by fripperies; Apr 3, 2015 at 2:36 am
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

That's exactly how I see. I don't think what a BA rep wrote on Flyertalk years ago carries much weight.

Originally Posted by golfmad
Let's hope you don't wake up too blue
Actually changing between green (sick) and red (angry)!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:51 am

BA: To be fly, to dis-serve.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:57 am

I wonder if the actuality is somewhere between the two "official" responses posted above and that the new policy is that you need the minimum number of BA flights for the soft landing to kick in (2 for Bronze, 4 for Silver).

Ignoring the lack of any real communication if there has been a change, I actually think that would be a fair process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.