Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Limitations on BAEC benefits dependent on where you live

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI

I have tried to find this topic on the forum, and apologies if it has been covered elsewhere.

My BAEC details show Egypt as my contact address, but usually unnoticed by me when I log onto BA it logs me on to the UK website. On this UK website there are categories of avios spending that include car hire and hotel bookings. But every time I try to use these links I get a critical error message saying my account details are inaccessible.

So today, I called BAEC line, and after a 20 minute wait from Cairo, I got through and was provided the explanation: clients in Egypt are debarred from all avios redemptions other than reward flights and upgrades. When I asked why that should be I got an obfuscatory answer that I felt was trying to put the blame on the Egyptian government without actually saying that.

So my question is to esteemed readers is: have you come across such a policy in other countries, and why do you suppose BA would institute such a policy? I am not inclined to believe that the Egyptian exchequer has the remotest interest in how people spend their avios, even if they were aware of the existence such arbitrarily devalued fiat currencies such as these. Which leaves me with the unanswered question as to why BA would want to exclude Egypt, and probably a host of other countries. India was mentioned by my interlocutor.

My other question is: since I do possess genuine addresses in France and the UK - would a simple change of address in my BAEC particulars suffice to remove this impediment to my liquidating as many of my avios as possible before April 28?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:32 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by mtdd
I have tried to find this topic on the forum, and apologies if it has been covered elsewhere.

My BAEC details show Egypt as my contact address, but usually unnoticed by me when I log onto BA it logs me on to the UK website. On this UK website there are categories of avios spending that include car hire and hotel bookings. But every time I try to use these links I get a critical error message saying my account details are inaccessible.

So today, I called BAEC line, and after a 20 minute wait from Cairo, I got through and was provided the explanation: clients in Egypt are debarred from all avios redemptions other than reward flights and upgrades. When I asked why that should be I got an obfuscatory answer that I felt was trying to put the blame on the Egyptian government without actually saying that.

So my question is to esteemed readers is: have you come across such a policy in other countries, and why do you suppose BA would institute such a policy? I am not inclined to believe that the Egyptian exchequer has the remotest interest in how people spend their avios, even if they were aware of the existence such arbitrarily devalued fiat currencies such as these. Which leaves me with the unanswered question as to why BA would want to exclude Egypt, and probably a host of other countries. India was mentioned by my interlocutor.

My other question is: since I do possess genuine addresses in France and the UK - would a simple change of address in my BAEC particulars suffice to remove this impediment to my liquidating as many of my avios as possible before April 28?
From what I have experienced as an overseas (Monaco) BAEC member, booking anything other than Flights and Upgrades, is solely for those within the UK.

I am now a UK member, having moved, and have the ability to book car-hire and hotels, but I did not used to be able to.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I am told by my local office that while I can't redeem Avios for many things online I can do it over the phone (never tried though).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:14 pm

I'm a BAEC member registered in the US and I can redeem Avios for hotel bookings through the BAEC online, in fact I've got an Avios booking for tonight.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:07 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
Being in the US I've never been able to get UuA to work online, much less see an offer, as I am usually connecting onto the continent somewhere and trying to upgrade the TATL but I have been able to book flights and hotels online without issue.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:14 pm

Just had to sort out a minor issue with my Avios hotel booking by calling the BAEC and they mentioned that they had to rectify the issue by sending a message to the hotel through "our supplier". So presumably that supplier only operates in certain countries.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I live in Slovakia.

I've only once been offered an upgrade on a flight via the MMB and that was for a scandalous price. Apparently if you have connecting flights the MMB options are severely limited because the IT system can't cope. Most other functions that I try, like agreeing to rebooked flights or cancelling Avios reward booking, are met with the usual 'Sorry, it is not possible to change this booking on ba.com.', but I gather that UK members get that often too!

Also hotel or car rental Avios bookings are not possible through ba.com Austria or Slovakia.

Another sore point is that I can never get bonus Avios on BA Holiday bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.