Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annual Travel Insurance and Avios

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
Annual Travel Insurance and Avios

Do any Annual Travel Policies have and provisions for refunded Avios if they have been used for making the booking?

Any recommnedations for a good Annual Worldwide travel policy would be welcome. I do have the BA Amex Premium Plus Card.

TIA
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Do any Annual Travel Policies have and provisions for refunded Avios if they have been used for making the booking?
Remember Avios have no monetary value. So, whilst I don't know all the policies out there, I'd find it extremely hard to imagine one that recovers Avios for you.

Any recommnedations for a good Annual Worldwide travel policy would be welcome. I do have the BA Amex Premium Plus Card.
Check out John Lewis. Their most expensive policy has good protection. LV is also worth looking at. IME travel insurance is a product where you get what you pay for. That doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive is best for your circumstances. People's needs vary, so it's important to work out what cover is essential, what cover is desirable, and which risks you're comfortable exposing yourself to.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
BA and avios.com will sell you policies that cover avios. Don't forget that avios redemptions are cancellable up to 24hrs out (and then there's perhaps the events beyond your control clause) so it's limited how often you'd need this. avios.com is not specific about this, but ba.com policies only cover the avios inside that 24hr window.

Raffles discussed this recently: http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/03...mption-ticket/

In the comments someone says they got 1.5k from Amex insurance for a 100k avios loss. (Bear in mind the BA PP Amex doesn't come with proper insurance.)
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by pauldb
BA and avios.com will sell you policies that cover avios. Don't forget that avios redemptions are cancellable up to 24hrs out (and then there's perhaps the events beyond your control clause) so it's limited how often you'd need this. avios.com is not specific about this, but ba.com policies only cover the avios inside that 24hr window.

Raffles discussed this recently: http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/03...mption-ticket/

In the comments someone says they got 1.5k from Amex insurance for a 100k avios loss. (Bear in mind the BA PP Amex doesn't come with proper insurance.)
Interesting reading. But what if it's also with a 2-4-1 voucher? I'm using my next one up just days before it was due to expire!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fripperies
Remember Avios have no monetary value. So, whilst I don't know all the policies out there, I'd find it extremely hard to imagine one that recovers Avios for you.

Check out John Lewis. Their most expensive policy has good protection. LV is also worth looking at. IME travel insurance is a product where you get what you pay for. That doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive is best for your circumstances. People's needs vary, so it's important to work out what cover is essential, what cover is desirable, and which risks you're comfortable exposing yourself to.
Thanks LV is on my short list.

Ah, I was looking on headforpoints but didn't see this article. I'll check it out. My main concern on the Avios front is for a missed return flight due to a medical problem. Hopefully it won't happen but we never know. Thank you for this.

Originally Posted by dddc
Interesting reading. But what if it's also with a 2-4-1 voucher? I'm using my next one up just days before it was due to expire!
Good point, I hadn't thought about the 2-4-1 scenario!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Ah, I was looking on headforpoints but didn't see this article. I'll check it out. My main concern on the Avios front is for a missed return flight due to a medical problem. Hopefully it won't happen but we never know. Thank you for this.
What would you want in these circumstances? I'm not sure any policy would offer you a refund of the return leg (whether cash or avios). They'd be expecting to fly you home when able, so I don't see that this is specific to avios.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:44 am
Original Poster

What would you want in these circumstances? I'm not sure any policy would offer you a refund of the return leg (whether cash or avios). They'd be expecting to fly you home when able, so I don't see that this is specific to avios.
Fair point. I was not looking for anything specific, but I know it is always worth asking questions in thie forum thanks to the responses from helpful people. Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:02 am

As Fripperies said, it depends on your requirements. Personally I'm very happy with the Amex Plat cover (not the BAPP) because it also gives my adult kids, their partners and their kids cover too as supplementary card holders. I've never had to submit a claim, but one of my son's partner and both of his kids have all claimed without issue.

The Plat's not cheap at 450 per year, but the travel insurance cover for three families plus the annual savings on car rental add-ons and the odd Priority Pass lounge access probably just about covers it for me.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
BA and avios.com will sell you policies that cover avios.
You need to be careful if buying a policy via avios.com as they only cover avios.com avios booking and not BAEC. I called them recently to confirm this.

I also called BA about their insurance policy and they said if you need to cancel flights in the last 24hrs they will refund the "cash value" of the tickets.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
My annual travel insurance policy says:

"If you booked your flight or accommodation with Avios or similar promotional
schemes we will pay for the cost of replacing the used points or miles or, if
replacing points or miles is not possible, a monetary alternative at the current
published rate."

Which I take to mean they will cough up at BA's published rate of avios purchase. It comes with an RBS bank account which costs 288 p.a., covers the whole family and gives up to 10k per person cancellation and 250 per person delay beyond 4hrs, with optional cancellation after 6hrs, which all adds up to a fairly stress-free start to any trip.

Also I get a priority pass, which I have started to use for a decent breakfast at the EDI No1. traveller lounge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.