Search

Lounge at Bilbao ("new" station)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Lounge at Bilbao ("new" station)

Hi everyone!

So yesterday evening I flew on the BA 468, the second service from BIO-LHR since BA restarted the route yesterday morning after a hiatus of a few years (no idea when it was dropped last time, 2005?).

Despite having booked the flight in November, as of yesterday, no contract had been signed with the (only) lounge. All other airlines at the airport have a contract. The staff at check in didn't mention the (lack of) lounge until we asked. No food/drink vouchers were offered either (like in SZG/INN). They also didn't mention the delay

To compound matters, the BIO lounge doesn't accept any 3rd party card (we had Priority Pass, Airport Angel & Lounge Club on us). The only option was to pay E26.50 cash. The lounge didn't look like it was worth that sort of money, but it would have been nice to sit in there and get a few drinks.

The lounge is run by the Spanish Airport operator AENA, with whom BA contract lounge service to in many other Spanish Airports.

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Ae...e-airport.html

As a result of the delay, we ended up waiting in an airside cafe for nearly 3 hours, and BIO doesn't have an awful lot to reccommend for itself (although you can buy a litre of Tanqueray Gin for £11). There was only 30 mins free airport wifi.

Boarding was a single boarding call, with fastest boarded first. No priority boarding here.

Is it worth complaining to BA about the lack of lounge? We spent nearly E30 on drinks and snacks whilst waiting.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:50 am

Well, on one hand it may help inform BA that there is some demand for a lounge there, but on the other there are many European outstations where BA don't offer a lounge facility or compensation for the lack thereof.

So I can't see that BA are obliged to offer lounges everywhere.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure there are many destinations that lack a lounge? There are a few - largely driven by lack of any available facility (BGO, SZG, some random islands) but as a rule if there is a facility you would expect BA to contract for it. As seems to be the rule now BA don't seem hugely worried about the passenger experience. No doubt the saving on lounge fees will help someone achieve their Cost KPI...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shefgab
Is it worth complaining to BA about the lack of lounge? We spent nearly E30 on drinks and snacks whilst waiting.
Yes

It's part of the advertising—as is priority boarding
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
but as a rule if there is a facility you would expect BA to contract for it. As seems to be the rule now BA don't seem hugely worried about the passenger experience. No doubt the saving on lounge fees will help someone achieve their Cost KPI...
+1 and +1
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks WOTAS, Swanhunter & Calchas. I actually just had a look at the OneWorld wesbite, and it seems that quite a few Spanish Airports have an AENA lounge listed there, but BA isn't listed as a user, but IB/AB/AY are. I hadn't realised BA were being so mean

The impression I got from the check in staff was that they hadn't signed a lounge countract yet. Whether they actually will ever do it, is another matter.

You'd have throught that if BA didn't want to include a lounge, they'd make it clear where and when they're happy to pay for it. Hardly fair to CE pax to not pay for a lounge, although (nearly) understandable that they don't want to pay for Gold and Silver in Y.

I think I'll send CS an email later.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
The best part was that they were advertising upgrades on the check in desk...

I wonder if the two who were actually sat in Club missed the lounge too much?

I'm considering sending an email too, but will wait until my Avios are posted - it was advertised in MMB that I'll only get 500odd return which isn't correct at all. If I do actually get that amount, that will also be mentioned.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Going slightly off track...did you travel in CE or ET shefgab?

I'm asking because I'd be interested to know how many Avios posted for that route in economy (BA calculator showing 288, which must be wrong).
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
Going slightly off track...did you travel in CE or ET shefgab?

I'm asking because I'd be interested to know how many Avios posted for that route in economy (BA calculator showing 288, which must be wrong).
I was in ET. The Avios have posted as 10TP and 144 Avios (+144 Tier bonus)....will also write and complain about that!

LHR-BIO is 576 miles
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was in ET. The Avios have posted as 10TP and 144 Avios (+144 Tier bonus)....will also write and complain about that!

LHR-BIO is 576 miles
Precisely 25%.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Indeed, makes it all worth while eh...Not!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
And so you should! BA's Avios Earning Chart shows a minimum of 250 Avios in discounted economy. The April 28th 'enhancements' haven't started yet!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver

LHR-BIO is 576 miles
Uh oh I'm on this route in May... Hopefully they'd have corrected the error by then. Quick! Send in your email!!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I have been to this lounge albeit not for a while, when flying IB J. It was OK but nothing special as I recall. BIO is a nice little airport in any event it's not like it is LGW or LHR
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Yep, same for me - 144 + 144 bonus. I shall also be sending an email when I get home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.