Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge at Bilbao ("new" station)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 10:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
To be fair it is just a handful of places without lounges, and only very few places with an available lounge and yet no access. From all we've heard, BIO will eventually get access but it certainly is taking its time.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Originally Posted by vscxfan
IB flights ex BIO are all domestic and the 2 daily BA flights are the main source of potential users; but that didn't stop BA negotiating lounge access at GRX. In the meantime, denying a €10 voucher makes them look mean and disdainful.
Although I'm still not clear on the position in GRX - the last few times I've been coming back from GRX to LCY (February and March this year and last) there hasn't been any lounge access and the friendly Iberia check-in agent laughed at my asking about it!
Old May 26, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vibguy
I think people flying CE should get used to the fact that they fly a premium economy cabin and that they should not take lounge access for granted any longer. The main competitors for BA SH or soon to be a kind of London Airways are EZ and RA and these offer no lounge access either.
Neither FR nor U2 are competing with Club Europe

(Alright some might snidely remark they are but, it is not their intent!)
Old May 26, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
To be fair it is just a handful of places without lounges, and only very few places with an available lounge and yet no access. From all we've heard, BIO will eventually get access but it certainly is taking its time.
Interesting BA confirmed to me by email that the business lounge at KRK would be available for the first flights and the rep sent me an email to this affect as she couldnt get hold of me by phone.

At KRK on the first Monday of operations, the airport said BA didn't want to pay for lounge access and wouldn't sign the contract. When I was speaking to BA customer relations team on my return about my damaged baggage on the trip I asked them what the situation was and they advised they got too many complaints about the lounge when they used to fly to LGW so weren't using it at the moment. Incidently, when you book a flight in CE now it doesn't say lounges for you to relax or work before your flight anymore it says WHERE AVAILABLE lounges to relax or work before your flight.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Interesting BA confirmed to me by email that the business lounge at KRK would be available for the first flights and the rep sent me an email to this affect as she couldnt get hold of me by phone.

At KRK on the first Monday of operations, the airport said BA didn't want to pay for lounge access and wouldn't sign the contract. When I was speaking to BA customer relations team on my return about my damaged baggage on the trip I asked them what the situation was and they advised they got too many complaints about the lounge when they used to fly to LGW so weren't using it at the moment. Incidently, when you book a flight in CE now it doesn't say lounges for you to relax or work before your flight anymore it says WHERE AVAILABLE lounges to relax or work before your flight.
However, lounges ARE available at BIO (and presumably still at KRK); so the accurate ("To Fly To Serve") proposition - either for CE pax, GCH and SCH or both - should be: lounge access where "available" (thereby eliminating for example a *A lounge) or a voucher for refreshments where not.

Claiming that BA withdrew from the KRK lounge because its passengers complained about it clearly comes from the same Marketing playbook that re-defined "enhancement" as "removal" and told us that passengers (who apparently love scones, jam and clotted cream at 2.30) objected to being offered dessert AND cheese because it ruined their attempts to lose weight.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
they advised they got too many complaints about the lounge when they used to fly to LGW so weren't using it at the moment.
What a joke, let me guess it was closed for cleaning?
Old May 26, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by vscxfan
However, lounges ARE available at BIO (and presumably still at KRK); so the accurate ("To Fly To Serve") proposition - either for CE pax, GCH and SCH or both - should be: lounge access where "available" (thereby eliminating for example a *A lounge) or a voucher for refreshments where not.
A voucher for CE pax I agree with; but not for SCH/GCH travelling in Y.

Status pax are entitled to use a lounge when one is offered; and GCHs are entitled to use an F lounge when offered. For CE pax the product should be a lounge or vouchers for refreshments.

The point I am making is BA don't give GCHs vouchers to buy premium food or drinks, if an F lounge isn't available, even if as in the case of LGW there is a BA-operated F lounge sitting empty as the last F Flight has gone.

I know many will attack this point of view and bang on about how as status pax they too should get vouchers, given their spending with BA etc. I personally don't buy it - giving a 20Euro voucher (whatever BA's discount) to someone on a deeply discounted Y ticket who fare is barely more than that seems to me far to generous and not how the lounge status benefit should work. I suspect this issue is part of the reason BA are poor at offering alternatives where there is no lounge or lounge use contract.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
I finally got around to calling BA to ask about my mising Avios (only 25% posted initally). I spoke to a very friendly lady on the Gold line, who said she's contact the "back office" as "it did look wrong" (you don't say!). Three days later, and the correct Avios are in my account (575 Avios base).

Interestingly, the email I was sent to say the Avios were in the account said:

I am sorry you were disappointed your flights were credited with less Avios and Tier Points than you were expecting
Of course I was disappointed! I was expecting BA to credit me the correct Avios first time, and not to have to call up to get them posted properly. Their tone makes it seem like i've been given special compensation rather than what should have posted in the first place had the BA IT worked.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Mine is still with the back office. Good to see success though so I remain hopeful.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FrancisA
A voucher for CE pax I agree with; but not for SCH/GCH travelling in Y.

Status pax are entitled to use a lounge when one is offered; and GCHs are entitled to use an F lounge when offered. For CE pax the product should be a lounge or vouchers for refreshments.

The point I am making is BA don't give GCHs vouchers to buy premium food or drinks, if an F lounge isn't available, even if as in the case of LGW there is a BA-operated F lounge sitting empty as the last F Flight has gone.

I know many will attack this point of view and bang on about how as status pax they too should get vouchers, given their spending with BA etc. I personally don't buy it - giving a 20Euro voucher (whatever BA's discount) to someone on a deeply discounted Y ticket who fare is barely more than that seems to me far to generous and not how the lounge status benefit should work. I suspect this issue is part of the reason BA are poor at offering alternatives where there is no lounge or lounge use contract.
Once again someone seems to think that status benefits should be given according to the ticket. Status is actually attained by past spending, not on the current flight.
Old May 30, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by shefgab
I finally got around to calling BA to ask about my mising Avios (only 25% posted initally). I spoke to a very friendly lady on the Gold line, who said she's contact the "back office" as "it did look wrong" (you don't say!). Three days later, and the correct Avios are in my account (575 Avios base).

Interestingly, the email I was sent to say the Avios were in the account said:

Of course I was disappointed! I was expecting BA to credit me the correct Avios first time, and not to have to call up to get them posted properly. Their tone makes it seem like i've been given special compensation rather than what should have posted in the first place had the BA IT worked.
Consider yourself lucky to get an email. I wouldn't have even noticed and carried on bombarding them if you hadn't have mentioned it.

Now to chase them for the AB Avios I'm owed...
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: QF Gold
I was just granted access to the lounge with one guest using a QF emerald card both of us flying Y. Nothing fancy but it was quiet and a reasonable selection of snacks and drinks.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by grant32
I was just granted access to the lounge with one guest using a QF emerald card both of us flying Y. Nothing fancy but it was quiet and a reasonable selection of snacks and drinks.
Flying Y on IB or BA?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
Flying Y on IB or BA?
On BA.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by grant32
If you are still there, can you check whether BAEC members are now allowed in (I notice this evening's flight is delayed 20 minutes or so...)? Perhaps asking when you leave the lounge! If so I can put through the input to the FT Lounge Guide from my notes, assuming I can read my own handwriting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.