Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick F Lounge to close from 3pm

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by mec72
Shouldn't the J lounge at LGW have - in theory - the same food offering as J lounges at LHR? I visited it a few days ago and was too very disappointed (there weren't even any bread rolls left...). Left to try out No 1 but it wasn't much better to be honest.
No. It's the poor relation. Think token gesture.

Palmer
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I don't think I've ever seen LPGS at LGW and I am there maybe 8 times a year.

From 5-7 the J lounge will be rammed. Last time I was with a group of ex-FTers in the F lounge was early May, we were evicted through the double doors at the back into a comically improvised roped off area of the J lounge which had no free seats, so we were allowed to remain in F. Bending the ear of the head of the gatwick lounges (or whatever his title was) helped I suppose.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I don't think I've ever seen LPGS at LGW and I am there maybe 8 times a year.
I've actually had it multiple times! I would say proportionally more often than at LHR T5 GF.

LGW F lounge also occasionally includes (excellent) sweet wines while they are never to be found at LHR.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And JER has a decent selection of crisps, for those who care about such things. These arrangements are 'local', and down to local management within an overall budget. Thus LGPS et al diminish the offering for the multitudes.

Just saying/speculating
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by T8191
And JER has a decent selection of crisps, for those who care. These things are 'local', and down to local management within an overall budget. Thus LGPS et al diminish the offering for the multitudes.

Just saying/speculating
It also has pineapple juice if I recall correctly. You can keep your LPGS, pineapple juice will do for me.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ClubCarlson Gold
Hi all,
Any update on the closing time moving to 4:30pm? I have a couple of flights coming up at 18:00...do they just eject you en masse at the close via the passageway? Seems very unprofessional!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Gatwick F Lounge to close from 3pm

I have found no evidence on the ground about this. The BS staff, who would need to be rostered for this, have not heard anything about it.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DontTravelWithoutYourPete
Hi all,
Any update on the closing time moving to 4:30pm? I have a couple of flights coming up at 18:00...do they just eject you en masse at the close via the passageway? Seems very unprofessional!
Lounge desk agent said to me that they only time they will open beyond 15:00 is for a long haul flight delay, at leas until BA move to the South terminal.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Just had this cheerful notification flash up on MMB for my LGW-MRU flight in 3 weeks, a sickening and miserable unnecessary cost cutting exercise. As if going to LGW isn't hassle enough, now this. Why have two major (although not equal) international bases where you can't be bothered to even provide a separate quieter lounge and a few better drinks for your Gold customers in one of them- the ones who usually fly regularly with you every month to earn such status?

For me status is just going to tick down to gold, silver and poo now with no effort to maintain, just looking for opportunities to burn the Avios now. For paid flights, the Middle East carriers are number one choices for anything Eastbound...BAEC in other words is for now for me pretty useless. I guess it's really now an airline for customers who only fly to JFK or EWR where you would actively choose them above anyone else.

If BA at least provided a high quality J/F combination like Qantas or Qatar can do in places that are not even their home then I'd understand, but being a Gold and pushed over to an overcrowded limp salad and soup kitchen on wilful lies about "cleaning" isn't understandable. I will complain for the fat lot it will do but I know where my money is going.

Last edited by nh1980; Jul 2, 2015 at 8:35 pm
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GFL, EK Platinum
Originally Posted by Adstring
Lounge desk agent said to me that they only time they will open beyond 15:00 is for a long haul flight delay, at leas until BA move to the South terminal.
Last Thursday (25/6) Bermuda was delayed, but no gold card holders were allowed in after 3pm due to there being "no catering", so don't get your hopes up!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DontTravelWithoutYourPete
do they just eject you en masse at the close via the passageway? Seems very unprofessional!
They now seem to be ejecting passengers from the First lounge through the fire exit doors into the Terraces lounge business centre area.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
They now seem to be ejecting passengers from the First lounge through the fire exit doors into the Terraces lounge business centre area.
Hit and miss in my recent experience. Sometimes they eject through the fire doors, sometimes you have to go through the normal entrance.

My recent travels have meant that i've straddled 3pm (and so spent 30mins in GF before being ejected to Terraces). I have to say, I think the only thing that is better in GF is the wine and champagnes. On other things (seating, comfort and to some extent food) Terraces wins.

GF and GC in T5 are a different matter of course...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:35 am

Today will be my first visit around kicking out time, I should arrive at 14:30
Do I go straight to the business lounge and get a seat or spend 30 minutes in first and then be moved?
Unfortunately I won't be drinking today so the sensible option will be straight to the business side.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
No problem asking for champagne in the Club lounge. It was a reasonable Tattinger last time I was there, but I am not sure they will open the LPGS for you.
I find it a good place as long as it isn't too busy...
I had an evening flight out of LGW about 3 weeks ago and noticed they had a couple bottles of Tattinger on ice in the club lounge. I don't know if this is normal now or just an anomaly that day.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by XCstud
I had an evening flight out of LGW about 3 weeks ago and noticed they had a couple bottles of Tattinger on ice in the club lounge. I don't know if this is normal now or just an anomaly that day.
We saw this on our flight to CUN early June. I was told it was because of staff shortages and was only temporary.

Was good at the time though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.