Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happens on a free upgrade from CW to First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

Just got an email from BA saying that if I phone and book a CW ticket I can get a free upgrade to First on one leg of my journey.

Let's take LHR-DXB-LHR as an example. If I booked CW I would get 2 x 140 TPs = 280 TPs for that return journey.

If BA gave me a free upgrade on the LHR-DXB leg, would I get 210 TPs for that leg?

If so, this would mean 350 TPs in total (210 + 140) - tipping me over to Silver and I could have a short break in DXB at the same time.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
BRU - DOH - DXB would give you 400 on QR if the TP are an issue.

As for the tier points, I think it depends on the eventual class that the 'first' leg is booked into. I believe they would be 'A' class fares with 210 TP per leg; but if BA booked into 'J' and assigned you a seat in the first cabin, you would only get 140.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: BA, UA
Previous times BA has run this I've received F TPs, but I haven't looked at - nor booked - under the current offer.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: BA GGL
Generally, yes, you will get F tier points for the upgraded leg, but you will have to fly ex-UK and pay published fares. This particular upgrade offer does not apply to Corporate discounted rates. To qualify you must book into R, C, D, or J class, so it will not be cheap.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:51 am

I've yet to manage to take advantage of this offer. On the rare times I'm about to make a CW booking in an eligible class, I seem to fall foul of the small print - either because I'm ex-EU or have a non-BA sector on the booking. I was also told I couldn't do it on an open jaw return but it turned out that was a mistake by the agent and BA wouldn't retroactively process the upgrade after I'd booked.

So now, I don't even open those emails. It just winds me up
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Not a good deal - just spoke to BA. Ticket needs to be semi-flexible or fully-flexible. 2,800+ GBP for LHR-DXB-LHR to take advanatage of an F upgrade on one leg. Might look at the BA sale that ends in a few hours for options...
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by rumbataz
Not a good deal - just spoke to BA. Ticket needs to be semi-flexible or fully-flexible. 2,800+ GBP for LHR-DXB-LHR to take advanatage of an F upgrade on one leg. Might look at the BA sale that ends in a few hours for options...
Save your money, if you're lucky it might cover POUG/AUP ?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cymro

As for the tier points, I think it depends on the eventual class that the 'first' leg is booked into. I believe they would be 'A' class fares with 210 TP per leg; but if BA booked into 'J' and assigned you a seat in the first cabin, you would only get 140.
This is an F-family or an A-family "half" fare published on the GDS (coupled with an appropriate C/D/R "half" fare). It is not some trick where you are upgraded after making the booking. It is in every respect a real F fare and earns 210 TP or 240 TP on the longer sectors.

The fare rules are designed to force you to use an A-fare in one direction of the round trip and a J-fare in the other.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Apologies for asking a really dumb question: where would I book such a flight? On the BA website or the Qatar Airways website? Also, how would the Avios/TP be credited to my BAEC account if I didn't book it on the BA website?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies for asking a really dumb question: where would I book such a flight? On the BA website or the Qatar Airways website? Also, how would the Avios/TP be credited to my BAEC account if I didn't book it on the BA website?
You can book anywhere you want. Well, you cannot book on the BA website. But you can book at your local travel agents or on QR.com.

When it asks for a frequent flier account, enter your BAEC number. Your status and details will be exchanged with QR. Oneworld Ruby will appear on your boarding pass.

If this does not happen, show your BAEC card at the check in desk and ask for your frequent flier number to be added to the booking.

DO NOT login with your QR account (if you have one) at any time.

Every night (or every few days) QR and BA will exchange all the data they have about who was on each other's flights. Somehow that gets back to BAEC and they award you the appropriate points and Avios.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
That is the f price lhr-dxb in say april anyway, pointless! If you want tps, i see qr cost under 900 quid bru-doh-dxb as mentioned above. Outbound is in j to doh then F (a fare) to dxb or the other dubai airport on a 787 or a320.

Last edited by jcm9000; Mar 10, 2015 at 7:29 am
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
There is currently a sale on this route (seems to happen frequently) so you could get those 400TPs for £670 ^.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, will look into it. One other question that's been bugging me: if I were to price this route on the Qatar Airways site, how could I find out the TPs that would be awarded to my BAEC account?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
The forum dashboard (stickied at top of the ba board) has a superb guide for avios an tp earning on all ow flights. Item 6 shows the tps earned, so for what has been described above with qr you get 140 each way to doh, then 60 on the short f hop to dxb each way, 400 TPs.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by jcm9000
The forum dashboard (stickied at top of the ba board) has a superb guide for avios an tp earning on all ow flights. Item 6 shows the tps earned, so for what has been described above with qr you get 140 each way to doh, then 60 on the short f hop to dxb each way, 400 TPs.
and you can also use the TP/Avios calculator on BA website (one leg at a time) http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_gb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.