Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I wonder if the Indy will be at T5 tomorrow (Spying scandal)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10076738.html
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Well I noticed the Daily Telegraph in the CCR the other day. Thought it had been enhanced
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:55 pm

BA, now part of International Airlines Group (IAG), maintained that as it owned the computers and mobile phones used by many of its staff, it had been acting entirely within the law when it took the decision to “monitor” communications of some staff.

Putting aside whether it's legal, if you are were member of staff involved in an industrial dispute with your employer, would you trust the privacy of communications on a phone or computer provided by that employer?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:40 pm

I must admit I almost glossed over this when looking for a thread about the spying scandal - maybe a clearer thread title would be welcome? (Unless this thread is specifically about the Independent being available at T5...)
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Putting aside whether it's legal, if you are were member of staff involved in an industrial dispute with your employer, would you trust the privacy of communications on a phone or computer provided by that employer?
In fact, now that I've finished my coffee and woken up properly, I've corrected that!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I always assume that anything written in an email on company computers or sites I visit on the internet are logged by the company and could be retrieved later. Seems rather naive to think otherwise.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I must admit I almost glossed over this when looking for a thread about the spying scandal - maybe a clearer thread title would be welcome? (Unless this thread is specifically about the Independent being available at T5...)
Fair enough. I was trying to go slightly light-hearted but agree descriptive titles have their advantage so would be happy for our excellent mods to rename (I can't change the title myself).
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shorthauldad

Fully agree with you it is naive, but as you rightly mention that is a non sequitur when it comes to the legality question. I regularly see people walking the streets of London with their wallet ostensibly protruding from their back pocket or a handbag wide open and I think to myself they must be either stupid or nuts, but of course, it will be no excuse for the pickpockets who may well end up stealing their belongings. Privacy laws are complex - not least within a work context - and I suspect BA were far less confident about their actions than they claimed and settled for a reason.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Fair enough. I was trying to go slightly light-hearted but agree descriptive titles have their advantage so would be happy for our excellent mods to rename (I can't change the title myself).
I'm always intrigued when a title is a bit different which I personally like.

I always click on them as the curiosity always gets the better of me!

An interesting article indeed but I am no Lawyer so I'll sit back and read this one as it will no doubt get bigger.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can answer the question, and that is BA seem fairly relaxed about it.

Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Since day 1 in the corporate world i have fully assumed that my employer reads my emails...especially given outlook makes it very easy to do so! I don't think my current one does though as my efforts to be fired do not appear to be working...although my boss does have access to everyone's mail file, and has an entire copy of it when they leave the company. Is what it is.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can answer the question, and that is BA seem fairly relaxed about it.
Thanks! They even resisted the temptation to draw moustaches on the cover in protest!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:21 am

Wonder if they read FT
What will now be the consequences
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks! They even resisted the temptation to draw moustaches on the cover in protest!
Probably not bothered about being recognised by the title 'world's favourite airline' either....
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Certainly the online systems could be spied upon by the company providing them to its employees as they run on networks owned by that company.

The phone side I'm not sure about. Phones don't use networks owned by BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.