Wiki Posts
Search

Mini trip report - CW (MCO - LGW)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

So I just returned form a conference in Orlando. Club World but into LGW, I was aware that the aircraft was an older three class 777-200, with the old IFE, instead of the newer 777-300's. Needless to say I was a little disappointed as I have had poor IFE on these aircraft before.

BA have an arrangement with Delta to use their Skylounge (the only lounge in the terminal). I believe lounge access is only allowed for CW passengers. The skylounge is pretty basic with a limited bar offering and nibbles. TV's scattered around but only of any use if you have an affinity for Fox News (I think I would have preferred to read the Daily Mail than watch Fox News). Side point - it felt weird being surrounded by Virgin passengers, can't imagine this arrangement is replicated many places in the world.

Needless to say the combination of an older aircraft and the issues these bring (I have soured memories of extremely poor IFE in CW on the 777-200's) and a virtually nonexistent BA ground presence at MCO meant I had tempered expectations of the trip home.

I board the flight after a brief delay, the delay was lightened by a rocket launch visible from the gate windows. Distracted us all for 5 mins. We boarded, I took my seat (3K). My first impressions was how odd it felt being in the nose of the plane and the cabin being CW not F.

Sunrise upon landing into LGW, window was a bit grubby but turned out ok I thought for an iPhone pic

From here the journey got better and better, all in part to arguably the best BA cabin crew experience I have had the pleasure of experiencing.

It all started after take off. The Cabin Service Director greeted me personally, shook my hand and thanked me for my loyalty. I have not had this as a GCH for months now. She went beyond the standard meet and greet I had experienced previously and spent 5 minutes chatting about my work and travel patterns. Really nice touch and felt so much more personal, and genuine, than other meet and greets I have experienced in the past.

The IFE, whilst not the latest Thales offering, was perfectly fine. The screen seemed new, so I can only suppose the complaints of dimmed screens typical of this IFE system are being addressed. The cabin crew experience continued to be excellent. Extremely attentive, more so than I had ever had before. I woke 40 mins before landing, after the breakfast service, the cabin crew member who had been serving me sought me out and offered me a quick breakfast prior to landing. I declined but the act itself impressed me. So much so, that individual received the golden ticket that had been in my possession for the last few months.

It's these trips that resonate and remind me how good BA can be.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
I board the flight after a brief delay, the delay was lightened by a rocket launch visible from the gate windows.
Awesome! It's not every day you can say that
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC
It's these trips that resonate and remind me how good BA can be.
Awesome. Not often you get to say that these days, sadly.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I did this route in CW in 2013 and enjoyed it. I'll be taking it again in a couple of month and I'm reassured by your TR that this time will be just as pleasant.

Katie
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:32 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Couldn't agree more nothing wrong with any of the LGW 777's and the crews have all been excellent taking time to speak to myself and my wife who is also a gch
Old Feb 16, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Silver, Accor Club Silver and many others at the lowest level

Unless something has changed in the last few months, GCH and SCH get into the Delta lounge too. Lounge reception has a long list with all eligible pax and ticks you off as enter.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Good to hear positives for a change.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Good to hear! I'm flying to Orlando in May, WTP out and CW back, so thanks for the good news.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
Thanks for your good review!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
One amusing point I forgot to mention in the original post.

Whilst the Cabin Service Director was chatting to me, she mentioned whether I had seen "the new fantastic changes opening up loads of avios redemptions across the network".

I politely acknowledged I had seen the email but declined to tell her that the vast majority of the changes were negative!

Needless to say it seems like BA are encouraging the cabin crew to gloss over the devaluation of the program.

Nevertheless it did make me chuckle.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

Needless to say it seems like BA are encouraging the cabin crew to gloss over the devaluation of the program.
They've been reading their own in-flight magazines again
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Nice little trip report, just for the record BA operate the 3 class 772 ex LHR and LGW, and the LGW examples are far from being the oldest in the BA fleet.

BA at LGW is generally a credit to BA, I really hope that BA take the initiative with the upcoming move from north to south terminal at LGW and improve the ground experience to make them more in line with the LHR product.

cs
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by tdng
Unless something has changed in the last few months, GCH and SCH get into the Delta lounge too. Lounge reception has a long list with all eligible pax and ticks you off as enter.
They did last summer when I went through, you can also pay to get in.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sounds very encouraging ahead of my TPA trip in a 3 class in CW.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it felt weird being surrounded by Virgin passengers.
Did you count 'm?

72 and you would have been in Delta Heaven.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.