Wiki Posts
Search

T5 security and BA tonight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Qantas Plat, IHG Spire Elite
T5 security and BA tonight

So arrived at T5 around 6pm tonight, dropped my bags off, looked at North/South security 'queue' board, North showed 2 South 5. As I was at North, went to fast track and there was a HAL person checking boarding passes and telling people that if their flight was not in the next hour, to come back when it was. I just assumed security was really busy.

I pulled my DYKWIA and said as a Gold is it ok if I go through and he said 'OK then' Strangely enough it was incredibly quiet , one person in front of mea at the x-ray, but yet again a random beep and a pat down.... seems to happen a lot to me know.....

Anyway, sat drinking a beer and got a BA text survey asking me how my arrival had been, so just wrote what had happened.

Imagine my surprise 10 mins ago when i got a call from an unknown mobile number, which was from BA asking me to explain my response which I did. The lady said she'd never heard of HAL doing that before and would look into it.

So I'm impressed that BA are reading the surveys and apparently in near real time
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Some of the silly things I've written on those surveys, because I assumed they were all ignored....

BA must have a file on me!

Glad to hear they're taking an interest in that though. Frankly BA should be the least concerned (while still concerned), it's all the airside shopping establishments that will lose out most... There's not much at all landside.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:27 pm

But BA will have some pretty upset customers if those with lounge access find themselves stuck landside. After all BA spend a lot of money on those lounges, so they must recognise that customers value them immensely.

Last edited by bulkhead; Feb 12, 2015 at 1:38 pm
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HAL staff continue to amaze with their inexplicable made up rules and attitude.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: # Neodymium #
I've twice been refused into North security, for the reason that my flight "isn't departing in the next hour" and sent to South security instead. Wasn't sure if that was a rule, or just meant North was really busy, or completely made-up..
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
Originally Posted by iwanm
So I'm impressed that BA are reading the surveys and apparently in near real time
I had similar a couple of weeks ago, a text survey about catering. Made some comments by return text and 15 mins later a call went out in the lounge I was in asking me to come to contact guest services where someone from special services spent 10 minutes talking to me in detail about my comments.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So rather than processing passengers to airside HAL would rather have queues form landslide. Brilliant!

H
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
I once had a run in with a secueity person in MAN who didn't want me to go airside until an hour or so before boarding as "airside is a confined area" so having me wait there was a "health and safety issue". They were ok with my sitting outside though for the same amount of time....

Don't HAL get a portion of the airside profits, so would be in their interest to have as many people squeezed into the shopping mall, sorry, departure area, as possible?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I've never had this happen at any airport. Quite frankly, airport staff must be talking bollards. The purpose of a Britisn Airport is to try and sell you stuff, airside, while you're waiting to board. The less time airside, the less time they have to sell you stuff.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Internaut
I've never had this happen at any airport. Quite frankly, airport staff must be talking bollards. The purpose of a Britisn Airport is to try and sell you stuff, airside, while you're waiting to board. The less time airside, the less time they have to sell you stuff.
Perhaps the land side shops are complaining?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Perhaps the land side shops are complaining?
What, WH Smith and excess baggage company? :P
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:38 pm

North is often closed (sometimes at BA's request) so that it can be cleared ready for a large number of transfer passengers on their way having all 16 lanes ready and waiting.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
the 5 tuns are paying them off....
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xxxxx
North is often closed (sometimes at BA's request) so that it can be cleared ready for a large number of transfer passengers on their way having all 16 lanes ready and waiting.
Based on my experience I find this hard to believe. Are there many transfer passengers expected at 6pm when the OP arrived? Also if this really was a thing why isn't it closed in the morning when you have all the overnight longhauls coming in?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
FWIW after a better than normal journey to LHR, we arrived at T5 almost 3 hours before our flight on Tuesday.[*] South security was less busy than North security. A body quickly checked our self-printed BPs and on we went to self-scan our BPs twice without further delay thence to the lounge.[*] WHSmugg and Boots were unbothered by us.

[*]Then there was the 100 minute delay in taking off - flight delay of 35 mins followed by a closed runway situation about 65 mins. Oh dear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.