Wiki Posts
Search

Non-BA lounges at TXL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Non-BA lounges at TXL

Quick question. Is it possible as a GCH to use any lounges other than the BA lounge at Tegel? I'm aware there's an Air Berlin lounge but is it accessible (and worth a visit) ? Have searched the forum but am struggling to find up to date info
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Air Berlin use the Air france lounge which is upstairs from the BA lounge

I never been In it but believe you need to be flying AB

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
It would really depend who you're flying with.

The (landisde) BA lounge (where you go if you're flying BA) gets mixed reviews here, but I really quite like it and use it a lot.

According to the AB website if you are flying with them, you should use the AF (lounge one floor above BA) - widely loathed on this forum. So if you fly with AB then flash your GC at the BA lounge and they will invariably grant you access

AB has a series of "exclusive waiting areas" (airside in Terminals A and C). Your BP won't get you in there unless you have Gold status with AB. That said they are really only places for those who enjoy drinking coffee out of plastic cups while sitting on plastic chairs.

Your profile states *A Gold so there may also be the option of the SEN Lounge (out of SEN for four years now so I have forgotten about the access rules if you aren't flying with them). This is a good lounge.

And for completeness there is a paying lounge, the Berlin Airport Club Lounge at the front part of Terminal A, conveniently hidden at the end of a little passageway just underneath the main board showing arrivals.

Not aware of any others.

There is also a nice little tram carriage outside the far entrance door to Terminal A where you can get decent Currywurst (also enjoyed, I believe, by scottishpoet at times)

Last edited by AlienInTheFatherland; Feb 8, 2015 at 6:08 am
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:51 am

Non-BA lounges at TXL

The whole point of the airport layout at TXL and the thing that makes it such a brilliant airport is that you don't have to stand around waiting for hours. you get out of your taxi, check in, go through security, and then board all within a few metres and a few minutes.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think the Air France lounge is that bad, it's certainly less threadbare than the BA lounge below. Very similar food and drink, usually less crowded and it stays open a little longer. No egg mountain however.

If Gold you can use the BA lounge if flying AB. If Silver they will strongly encourage you to use the AF lounge if flying AB.

Then there is Starbucks across the way if you want something more substantial or hot to eat, but indeed just below the lounge, just outside the main door, is die esS-bahn restaurant, in a converted train carriage, for currywurst and chips. The airport's viewing platform is by there too.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
In the lounge at the moment abs it's perfectly fine for an outstation. Only irritating factor is that it doesn't have a toilet inside.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Non-BA lounges at TXL

To clarify I was flying BA so I guess that means the BA lounge is the only one I could use?

Jmurray I'm guessing you're now on board? 13D if you want to say hi
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dubbin
To clarify I was flying BA so I guess that means the BA lounge is the only one I could use?
Correct. If you are flying a oneworld carrier, you can use any oneworld lounge or the third party lounge used by the airline you are flying on.

The BA Terraces lounge is the only oneworld lounge at TXL.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If Gold you can use the BA lounge if flying AB. If Silver they will strongly encourage you to use the AF lounge if flying AB.
They don't always do this though, I'm silver and used the BA lounge while flying AB last week with no problem.

They do stamp your boarding pass on entry though, which I believe is to stop you from lounge jumping to the Air France lounge as well, as AB will only pay one lounge.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dubbin

Jmurray I'm guessing you're now on board? 13D if you want to say hi
Ha sorry just seen this. I was 1C. Connecting at LHR?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
AB cancelled the 1 pm to CPH so my wife and I are now at TXL from 12:00 until 5:50 pm traveling on a J AA ticket from DFW-FRA-TXL-CPH.; from what I have read here both lounges are about the same? I know we could take a quick trip into town but will be a bit tired - any advice?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kmandrew
AB cancelled the 1 pm to CPH so my wife and I are now at TXL from 12:00 until 5:50 pm traveling on a J AA ticket from DFW-FRA-TXL-CPH.; from what I have read here both lounges are about the same? I know we could take a quick trip into town but will be a bit tired - any advice?
Between the AF and BA lounges? Yes frankly not much between them.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Probably down to personal preference but I much prefer the BA lounge to the AF/AB lounge
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Not much difference but the BA lounge has a litte more space and a little better wine selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.