Wiki Posts
Search

LCY Expansion to go ahead

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold

Just read this, and couldn't find any threads about it on here - thought it might be of interest:
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-10022363.html

Maybe it will involve a BA lounge? Wishful thinking...
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
A bit of shame in some ways; was a delight when it was a tiny airport. It will become Boris Airport lite! I wonder how BA will embrace it; time for a proper lounge?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Would be nice to have a lounge there but it would need to be pretty big to accommodate the number of parallel BA flights that operate and the attendant number of people eligible to use it.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Whilst it's no longer my "local" airport (it was around 5 miles away and a very reasonable taxi ride away until recently). I would also say it's a pity.

The great thing about city was that the size allowed you to stroll up last minute and just roll onto the plane. It didn't need a lounge.

When working in Germany I used to have a 3 hour commute, from my door, to the office. It was seriously good for business travel.

So, I feel this expansion would ruin that particular feature of the airport. Sure, like any business expansion is what they always want. It does ruin the niche position though, sadly.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by allturnleft
A bit of shame in some ways; was a delight when it was a tiny airport. It will become Boris Airport lite! I wonder how BA will embrace it; time for a proper lounge?
Agree, but gets pretty rammed now, so I'd say it's welcome even so.

I for one would love to see a lounge. I know the idea is it's not needed at LCY, you can go through in minutes etc etc - but for me it's a part of flying.
I like to leave home or the office in plenty of time, get all the security nonsense out of the way, and then just relax in the lounge until it's time to board. Even if I'm only going to sit and do some work there, it's nice to have the whole airport palava off my mind.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:32 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B466 Safari/600.1.4)

I see the development as overwhelmingly positive as its described, with the caveat that promises tend to fall by the wayside when it comes to aviation in the UK.

Increasing stands by c40% and adding a parallel taxiway whilst only increasing peak movements by 15% on the face of it seems to materially reduce "concentration" and increase available contingency. Peak time arrival (Mon & Tues am) & departure (Thurs & Fri evening) delays are now very common and I hope this will address this. The full parallel taxiway in one fell swoop will eliminate backtracking and hugely increase flexibility.

Likewise, whilst the terminal is increasing 3 fold in size, the broad layout & footprint looks very similar.

I personally see no need for a lounge.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: *A
So long as I can arrive up to 20 minutes before departure and check a bag, there is little need for a lounge. With the expansion, delays should be only in extraneous circumstances, and it's not worth it for BA to provide a lounge for those times.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Would be nice to have a lounge there but it would need to be pretty big to accommodate the number of parallel BA flights that operate and the attendant number of people eligible to use it.
Originally Posted by sds1493
So long as I can arrive up to 20 minutes before departure and check a bag, there is little need for a lounge. With the expansion, delays should be only in extraneous circumstances, and it's not worth it for BA to provide a lounge for those times.
As usual, contradictory views!

I personally would use a lounge as I do not travel from the city and therefore have to leave in good time to avoid missing flights. For me LCY is just another London airport and its lack of a lounge mean that I avoid it for departures.

It does however offer routes that BA do not fly to from either LHR or LGW, so I for one would like a lounge. It is after all part of the CE product.

Given BA's passenger mix at LCY, would it be too much to hope that those who value turn up and go would continue to do just that, keeping the number of potential lounge users down?

As presumably a very large lounge is not an option, an alternative would be to restrict lounge access to those flying CE on capacity grounds.

I know that's not popular, but most who have criticised it as an option in the past seem to want to turn up and go anyway, so I am not sure why exactly they feel so slighted by that idea. BA have done similar things in the past - it's not that long ago that the GVA lounge was restricted to SCHs and GCHs flying CE at busy times.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Gold or GGL only lounge might make sense. I just hope they don't tinker with the very convenient check in times or implement any LHR style conformance.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
Priority boarding is only for gch isn't it? Perhaps that's a clue for the future, or perhaps it's due to the pokiness of the gate areas and could change.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I wait with bated breath

expansion may be good as long as it doesn't spoil the "smallish" feel to it
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Good news - I'm someone who can leave home 45 mins before a flight now and not be too stressed (if it's a very early flight) so it's my very local airport.

But they could do with improving security - not a fan of new set-up
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:54 pm

Looks great{

Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

What "larger aircraft" will use LCY given the runway length will remain the same?

Are they thinking of A318s like CWLCY? In unsure what else larger than an A318 you could fit into LCY given the steep approach and short runway.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Perhaps BA will move the LCY arrivals to the onsite hotel also envisaged as part of the re-development, would be preferable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.