Search

When does membership actually commence?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
When does membership actually commence?

Having looked on the 'Guide to Executive Club' which is currently closed to new posts, I have come across the following:

After successfully signing up to the BAEC, and obtaining a PIN/Password, you can add a number of personal preferences into your profile, such as your contact details, default seating preference (window or aisle), your passport information and any dietary requirement you have. You will be set a membership year which initially lasts between 12 and 13 months. The actual duration is dictated by the date you join. For example, if you sign up on 12 January, your year end will be 8 February the following year. Similarly, if you join on 24 October, your year end will be 8 November the following year. After your first year has passed your membership year cycles in more regular 12 monthly intervals.

I thought I had read elsewhere that membership would commence when a credit was first registered, rather than from when the account was open. The above clearly states otherwise. I assume this is correct but just wanted to check.

Looking to book some flights for family to fly in about two weeks. I can choose to pay cash and register them against accounts that are already open (although no avios/TP in them yet) in order to claim the relevant TP/Avios. If the accounts only official start when a credit is made I would look to try to book these with Avios and not register against BAEC if at all possible.

So, effectively two questions. 1) When do accounts commence? 2) Do you need to have a BAEC account to use Avios bookings if booked by another member?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC 35K
You're correct, the account's new collection year will start from when the first TPs are credited (assuming no TPs have been credited before). I do not understand the second part of your query, do you want to book the flights as paid or award bookings?

Edit: I assume you mean commence as in the 12-month cycle for collecting TPs towards status?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Membership commences when you open your account.

I don't understand your 2nd question, but if you're trying to credit family avios to your own account then that's not possible.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Apologies if I was not very clear.

By commence, I did mean the 12 month period, so although the account is currently open and showing year end date of August 8th 2015, nothing has ever been credited to it. Therefore would the 12 month period commence when a credit is first made, or is it always going to be from/to 8th August.

For the second question, I wondered if I can pay using Avios (I have these in my own account) and book these for myself as well as others in the party even if I do not link these bookings to the BAEC account of the other travellers.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Yes you can book Avios flights for anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.