Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EC changes : will you switch ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I don't think it will change my long haul flying much but I will no longer automatically book BA for short haul and domestic flights as there is no value in doing so. I will instead book the airline that is cheapest and/or has the best flight times.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (just promoted - yippee!)
we won't make it back to silver by the summer unless something amazing happens, and once we revert to Bronze, there's nothing to keep you. Club Europe is totally pants now, and the back of the short haul fleet is RyanAir in a darker blue.

At least I can stop inventing reasons why I have to go on BA instead of other options.

I suppose it is the people like me who get in the lounges but don't stand a chance of getting to Gold they want to lose. This seems to be a good way to go about it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
EC changes : will you switch ?

Changes to be expected and for me (GGL mostly through CW Long haul) impact is moderate. Earning still better than others. What hurts is the increase in premium class redemption.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
Probably stay in BAEC even though Avios earning is down as I usually only do short haul flights in cheapest economy for work to Glasgow and Brussels. Not much choice to these destinations from Heathrow (closest airport). I'll still earn through credit card spend and Shell fuel but not prepared to do TP runs to get Gold and the best perk of being Silver for me was the double Avios on any class of ticket so no point chasing this level.

Most of my leisure flying is with easyJet and Norwegian airlines so no change there and I'll look for the cheapest option to any other European destinations that I want to fly to (except LyingScare and FlyMayBe).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Well all my flying is leisure shorthaul in Europe and I don't get within touching distance of bronze so I doubt BA care about me. For what it's worth... I will continue to book BA holidays as they offer such good value but, with fewer avios from discount fares, I shall be looking elsewhere for flight only bookings/ be less willing to pay extra to fly BA.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:18 pm

I'm sitting on qr2 right now in j. Will turn gold for the first time after this trip so will stick with baec. Will continue to fly with partners as well. For shorthaul I'm probably not going to fly ba if the alternatives are far cheaper. Expect to fly leisure with whoever's the cheapest and might try ek for Asia as most lh is Dubai.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Don't you find it ironic that they announce the devaluations, one day after their big "sale" ends?

Shame on BA!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit the flights to do not need to be the same You can fly BA and credit to another airline ffp
It's surprising to me that so many people miss that key point.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Just another nail in the coffin around loyalty. I will use BA if it suits me, and probable result is less business BA way.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
As an Aberdeen based Gold card holder, I'm switching. Given I *have* to go via LHR to use any reward flights from Aberdeen, Avios "prices" have just doubled for me especially with the cash element alongside the points - I might as well go LoCo, just not worth it. This is a 50% Avios Tax for everyone who doesn't live in London.

I previously went out of my way to book BA because I liked the reward scheme, but now I'll book for convenience. That means Emirates going East, and Air Canda for Canadian trips which I do 5-8x a year in business. The business flights are booked via a travel department so I have no say on fare bucket, so that's the TPs screwed over also.

Very dissapointing.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 White, HH Gold, Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Just another nail in the coffin around loyalty. I will use BA if it suits me, and probable result is less business BA way.
Indeed, for me this is not about switching alliances, it is about not giving a second thought to any of them.

Over the last few years I have been drawn in by the benefits of BAEC as these are eroded I see less and less value in it for me. This is personal to me, no umbrage with how they decide to do business, just doesn't work for me, so as a result they will lose a lot of my spend. I think this applies to a lot of people and they may have underestimated that.

No more will I spend more on a flight because it suits my current FFS, Loyalty works both ways, or at least it is supposed to! I am all about spreading the love now, lol
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 White, HH Gold, Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Slopey
As an Aberdeen based Gold card holder, I'm switching. Given I *have* to go via LHR to use any reward flights from Aberdeen, Avios "prices" have just doubled for me especially with the cash element alongside the points - I might as well go LoCo, just not worth it. This is a 50% Avios Tax for everyone who doesn't live in London.

I previously went out of my way to book BA because I liked the reward scheme, but now I'll book for convenience. That means Emirates going East, and Air Canda for Canadian trips which I do 5-8x a year in business. The business flights are booked via a travel department so I have no say on fare bucket, so that's the TPs screwed over also.

Very dissapointing.
Amen to that. I, and I suspect a lot of people are feeling exactly the same.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
When you look at flights such as ex-EU one of the reasons they're such good value is to make them attractive to those in them countries. The lower price is to make up for the hassle of the connection.

But when you're using Avios you have to pay for the privilege of connecting.

All they needed to do was limit the flights to a connection of 24 hours or less, as opposed to the unlimited stopover.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I've been Silver for the past few years now and was thinking through whether or not I would continue my loyalty, but these changes guarantee that I'll be ending my loyalty to BA. I give them credit for running the most profitable "legacy" European carrier, so these likely are well thought out changes, but they feel like a slap in the face given that they make all premium redemptions more expensive while still clinging to outrageous fuel surcharges as fuel prices have plummeted. The thing that frustrates me the most right now is that it will be hard for me to use the Avios balance I have accumulated through my loyalty. I have definitely used a good number of Avios in the past, but now that loyalty is being taken advantage of.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: sans status now :(
Now I will just buy whatever flights are cheapest. Loyalty is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.