Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EC changes : will you switch ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Actually there are 4 - Platinum Challenges can be added to that list.
In which case could include a 5th method getting it status matched too ( or any other non standard methods such as getting Concierge Key status and getting EP status by virtue of it ) but seemed irrelevent based on the post being replied to - I was just detailing the standard published methods of attaining/retaining status
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In which case could include a 5th method getting it status matched too ( or any other non standard methods such as getting Concierge Key status and getting EP status by virtue of it ) but seemed irrelevent based on the post being replied to - I was just detailing the standard published methods of attaining/retaining status
Indeed - we're both incorrect then.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue

will I switch - no. After 21 years in the EC and now retired with no business travel, will soon drop to Bronze but get back to silver later this year with a QR business class flight to BKK which cost less than the BA direct flight in the sale and a nice topcashback bonus as well. These changes take the EC back to roughly where it was when I joined in 1994 and so they seem to me to be what we should have expected with the changes in the FFP world in recent months. In fact I might even fly CE now rather than ET if I need the TPs.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Personally I would be wary of jumping ship until other programmes announced their changes
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by qwest01
These changes take the EC back to roughly where it was when I joined in 1994 and so they seem to me to be what we should have expected with the changes in the FFP world in recent months. In fact I might even fly CE now rather than ET if I need the TPs.
Agreed that they've gone back to the way things were with discount economy. I took flights in 2003 where I received 25% BA miles, and 0 TP. It was actually the lack of Tier points that made me decide to go to *A, as up to that point I was on track to hit silver that year with my travel pattern.

At least BAEC still gives something for all flights. My other option is LX/LH, M&M is truly worthless, so I credit to UA, and even then there are a lot of flights I get NO miles.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979
I won't switch, but I will no longer go out of my way to fly BA. So a significant portion of my travel will now be on other Airlines which fly direct from my local airport.

Same here!! BA have lost my business on most occasions now. As an economy traveller I earn less avios and pay more for reward flights. Poke it!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I will be staying. I will do 8,000 tier points this year, virtually all in premium cabins. As I often book last minute and end up with expense fare classes, I will probably earn more Avios.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm personally sad as have been studying the art of maximising BAEC thanks to flyer talk and only recently had the time to indulge my interest in leisure travel and was looking forward to creatively achieving and enjoying status for years to come along with seeing new parts of the world such as Far East, south Am and South Africa. Happily I snuck in as the door was about to close on the IL28 sale and have my first TP run booked in November just after my new year starts. Wondering now how easy it will be to make up the 160 points I'll need to achieve gold as my regular LON-AGP flights will be affected.

I realise I'm probably not a great customer for BA but it probably means I'll look at Virgin for Barbados ( we go every couple of years) and start using Ryan air and easy jet for no frills flights to Europe, particularly on my hops back to london in the summer for work where I've often paid £400 plus for a discounted economy ticket as opposed to say £200 on the lo-cost airlines.

but as I say, I realise I am plankton in this vast pond and the loss is all mine! Shame!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Wondering now how easy it will be to make up the 160 points I'll need to achieve gold as my regular LON-AGP flights will be affected.
Probably very easily. I know AGP can be extraordinarily cheap to fly to if you're going down the back, but the same also applies up in Club too.

£219 return, 80TPs return, and proper Avios earning if that bothers you.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I am doing my 'bucket list' of places to visit,so far,all on BA,but after this announcement,I wont use them anymore,just booked a return to Moscow on easyjet for 60 quid,including seat reservation,so bye bye BA.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by varkey
Where? How? Please.

OK, in that case not much different from BA's 24 months.

I don't do 100k bum on seat miles a year (more on that below). I do get 100k Avios a year but that includes the tier and cabin bonuses. I also do some flying outside of BA, TATL occasionally with VS and US domestic on smaller carriers like Southwest, Jetblue- not many miles but probably 30 segments a year. I do about 50k bum on seat with BA/AA and probably another 10-20k with others. I would not be able to reach 100k bum on seat.

So, I've been looking at AAdvantage.

To get Sapphire (BA Silver/AA Platinum):
-with BA, 3-4 US trips (BA WTP + AA Eco is around 200 Avios per return trip)
-with AA, 3-4 US trips based on points (10,000 miles = 15,000 points). Interestingly, the x1.5 points applies to not just WTP (only BA) but any full fare Eco on BA, AA, US. Since Business does not have a higher rate (it's the same x1.5) there is no possibility of point maximizing by doing one TATL leg on Eco and the other Business if it made financial sense.
- with AA, 4-5 US trips based on miles (about 10,000 miles x 5). If I changed hotel loyalties and earned miles outside of flying, I could probably reduce by 1-2 trips. I'm considering the 25% elite bonus from AA Gold (Ruby) and the 10% WTP cabin bonus in my average 10,000 mile number.

So, earning Sapphire is a similar requirement. Reaching BA Silver isn't a challenge but AA does offer some better benefits:
- 100% mileage bonus (as was the case with BA until the recent change, and I imagine AA may change this)
- complimentary upgrades- need to read details on this, don't know if this is anything different from the BA upgrade benefits (sometimes free, available at cost)

Things generally seems similar to BA Silver otherwise with 2 bags, seat selection, etc.

One big difference, if I have understood correctly, is the mileage bonus (currently 100%) which is a game changer since it counts towards getting status (not just rewards). So, unlike the 600 Avios required every year to keep BA Silver, once qualified for AA Platinum the mileage requirement effectively halves with the bonus. Is that right?

If so, then each real-world 10,000 mile bum on seat trip becomes 20,000 AA miles which then means Sapphire for under 3 US trips. Seems too good to be true.
It is. The mileage bonus is for redemption miles only, not for Elite qualifying miles.

Note that one benefit you would lose by switching from BA to AA is lounge access on days when you are only travelling domestically within the US (unless in a premium cabin on transcon premium service). But it sounds like most of your AA flights are connections anyway, which is not a problem.

On the plus side, with AA you can redeem your miles with all OW partners except BA without having to pay YQ.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
On the plus side, with AA you can redeem your miles with all OW partners except BA without having to pay YQ.
Which for me is the biggest plus of all. ^
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by BucksFlyer
The current changes are a game changer for me.
BA Exec seems to have come full circle. I remember travelling on BA to Beirut in the 90's paying over £550 & finding my fare didn't qualify for any miles.
I switched to various other carriers on the route but then BMI took it over with their legendary Diamond Club. Made *A Gold with them & enjoyed various upgrades & redemptions.When BA brought them out, the Exec Club had started offering full miles on all economy classes. Given Gold status match I moved all travel to BA often paying more on long haul & short haul then other competitors, because the miles & benefits. Enjoyed short haul family redemptions for holidays.

Now it's unlikely many of my flights will gain full miles now & re-qualifying for Silver is now unlikely. So now I'll fly *A using my Aegean Gold where gaining 12000 for re qualification is fairly easy & I'll be able to keep lounge access etc.
So it seems BA has basically said they don't really need my medium level custom now.
They've made a business decision, so after looking at the facts, so have I.
The BA Exec has come full circle & now appears only aimed at the top of the market, though the business product especially in short haul is far short of what it once was.
When BMI was brought it was sad but the move to BA went well. Now BAEC has changed & it's clearly time to go back to the *A.
Reading Flyer talk about other devaluations I'm beginning to think the golden age of FFP is coming to an end.
A useful reminder that it's not that long ago that EC was a designed as a "fly with someone else" programme, and now that BA has eliminated BMI, they think they can get away with reverting to it. But maybe they've forgotten that back then, they really were a premium carrier whose front cabins passengers actively chose for reasons other than price and convenience.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: BMI, BA, Aegean Airlines

And that was before the Gulf carriers raised standards for all classes and drew many away from BA long haul. Now with people outside London badly affected by these changes, many can fly directly with better quality Gulf carrier.
Interestingly too QR just brought a stake in BA's owners.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BucksFlyer
And that was before the Gulf carriers raised standards for all classes and drew many away from BA long haul. Now with people outside London badly affected by these changes, many can fly directly with better quality Gulf carrier.
Interestingly too QR just brought a stake in BA's owners.
Well unless they are flying to DOH/AUH/DWC, they can hardly "fly direct"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.