Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Weather / blizzard disruption to BA flights NE USA on Monday, 26 Jan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ruption_banner

Looking at Flight Aware, it looks like flights due to arrive JFK after mid-afternoon are being cancelled.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And just to time stamp the information underneath the link provided, since these things tend to change and/or be helpful for future reference, noting in particular that rebooking options are now open, see penultimate paragraph.

Originally Posted by British Airways 25 January 2015 at 19:44 hrs GMT
On Monday 26 January heavy snow is forecast to fall over the East Coast of the USA. We anticipate that some flights to and from the US will be disrupted.

Many flights may need to have de-icing treatment on their wings, engines and fuselage, before they are cleared for take-off and this might also lead to some flight delays throughout the day.

We apologise for the inconvenience the poor weather has caused but the safety of our customers is our top priority.

More information
Customers should keep checking for the very latest information about their flights if they are due to travel to or from East Coast of the USA.

Check the status of your flight before leaving for the airport.

What to do if your flight has been cancelled.

If your flight has been cancelled, please do not travel to the airport.

We have a policy in place outlining the options available to you and how to make changes to your booking.

> Re-booking options if your flight has been cancelled URL

If you have a ticket for Monday 26 January or Tuesday 27 January and are travelling to or from Boston, New York JFK, Newark, Baltimore, Washington or Philadelphia and wish to change to a later date. You can rebook to travel between Sunday 25 January and Friday 30 January with your local contact centre

We are sorry for any disruption to customers' travel plans.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
ex-JFK BA172, 114, 182 (and ex-EWR BA188, and ex-PHL BA068) all showing on ba.com as cancelled tonight.

Sister and brother-in-law are scheduled to fly BA292 CW ex-IAD at 2220hrs today - I'll be keeping a close eye on the situation.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:01 am

The next FAA ATC System a Command Centre briefing is at 1215 GMT after which likely ground stop periods will be predicted or occurring. After this info is received, more planning can occur.

The weather situation is forecast to remain reasonably ok in JFK until 1700 EST and then gets progressively worse throughout the evening.

IAD sees continuous light snow and sleet throughout the day

PHL sees similar to IAD

BOS sees heavy blowing snow this evening and overnight.

Last edited by Sigwx; Jan 26, 2015 at 1:16 am
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond VIP, Shangri La Jade, Amex Plat
BA3 also cancelled. Unexpected week at home now...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:30 am

Jan. 26: Avoiding the blizzard, getting to lhr

My flight tonight was cancelled and am confirmed on a 630 pm flight out of New York. Need to get to London and thinking may be I can fly south or west mid afternoon to connect to flight to lhr and thus avoid the storm and possibility my evening flight will be cancelled.

Good approach?
Suggested departure cities?
Call BA directly or ask TA who booked flight to do it?
Tried calling BA recording said waits of an hour. Any way to circumvent ?
Tia!!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If in first, try calling you first, if you have status try there as well otherwise its going to be a very long and busy wait. The best option i think will be to go to the airport as they have more control over re-bookings but I would expect there to be very few options. What class are you in?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:45 am

No class no status
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Go to the airport right now.

There's a flight leaves at 8.30am EST - BA.com shows seats available in Economy

(Curiously, BA.com shows the 630pm as operating, with later flights cancelled.)
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:09 am

Thanks Tony but I won't make departure in time.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
When I was in a similar situation (Gold card but flying back of the bus), I somehow managed to get hold of Special Services at JFK on the phone and they sorted us out very efficiently. I believe, although this was never explicitly said to me, that they may actually have bumped some people off one of the few flights that was operating to accommodate us. I vaguely recollect that there is a direct phone number (although I no longer have it). This would obviously only work if you have status.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just going back to your original questions...

If this is a TA booking, you need to speak to them as per the "what do i do" list on BA.com.

Point remans though that BA (and FWIW AA) says the 6.30pm flight is running, with other flights showing as cancelled.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Serious disruption: USA East Coast

Just saw this on ba.com:
On Monday 26 January heavy snow is forecast to fall over the East Coast of the USA. We anticipate that some flights to and from the US will be disrupted.

Many flights may need to have de-icing treatment on their wings, engines and fuselage, before they are cleared for take-off and this might also lead to some flight delays throughout the day.

We apologise for the inconvenience the poor weather has caused but the safety of our customers is our top priority.

More information
Customers should keep checking for the very latest information about their flights if they are due to travel to or from East Coast of the USA.

Check the status of your flight before leaving for the airport.
A quick check on JFK (as an example, also will hit EWR BOS etc) showed many, many cancelled services, both AA domestic and TATL. Good luck if you're trying to get out of that region this evening.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Doesn't look good!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:59 am

First casualty is PHL with a ground stop in effect until 1430 GMT due to weather and low cloud ceilings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.