FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA don't feature in the world's worst airline meals! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1648766-ba-dont-feature-worlds-worst-airline-meals.html)

RBH58 Jan 25, 2015 1:26 am

Powdered egg omlette...so overcooked that it had turned green for breakfast in Etihad J Class. In fact food so inedible on MEL>AUH>IST that I basically didn't eat for 20 hrs and ate a big meal in the lounge in the return flight

tmac100 Jan 25, 2015 2:51 am

Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 24221895)
BA food is fiiiiine. Not world class, but does the job. If you want horrific, I suggest a Ruinair cooked breakfast for a miserable offering at some extortionate price.

As cysyuen says, the cooked breakfast on BA domestic is brilliant. So much so that I time my work flights to GLA for the morning as it's so much of an upgrade from the standard broken biscuits or individually wrapped crisp that one can expect for the rest of the day.

I have flown BA since 2009 and in that time have flown a LOT of flights that were over 6 hours. My 3600+ TP accumulation since June 2009 may give an idea of how much I fly strictly for pleasure.

That said, with most flights in WT+ I have honestly NEVER, EVER had a bad meal. EVER. But, YMMV :rolleyes:

hcuk94 Jan 25, 2015 3:14 am

Originally Posted by tmac100 (Post 24229349)
I have flown BA since 2009 and in that time have flown a LOT of flights that were over 6 hours. My 3600+ TP accumulation since June 2009 may give an idea of how much I fly strictly for pleasure.

That said, with most flights in WT+ I have honestly NEVER, EVER had a bad meal. EVER. But, YMMV :rolleyes:

Me neither. I don't think it's up to the standards of some of the top airlines, but it's not bad. That's mostly based on my experience of many short hops in Club Europe, though.

kwsunset Jan 25, 2015 2:36 pm

I wonder why no USA airlines are not on the list. Well, for two reasons. 1. They don't serve food on most flights and 2. Nobody really took a look at what we get for food. Yesterday on United Bus Class at noon we got a scone, well they called it that. Actually it was a sweet cookie. Our US airlines serve awful food and most of US bring our own onto the flight. The FA are jealous that we have such good food. Every flight in Western Europe that I have been on serves decent food on everything over an hour. In the US we are told the flight is too short--no food and no drinks in Y. My favs are Turkish, Lot, and sometimes Air France. I have none in the US. United starts a new menu Feb 1. We'll see how that goes.

HMPS Jan 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by kwsunset (Post 24232183)
I wonder why no USA airlines are not on the list. Well, for two reasons. 1. They don't serve food on most flights and 2. Nobody really took a look at what we get for food. Yesterday on United Bus Class at noon we got a scone, well they called it that. Actually it was a sweet cookie. Our US airlines serve awful food and most of US bring our own onto the flight. The FA are jealous that we have such good food. Every flight in Western Europe that I have been on serves decent food on everything over an hour. In the US we are told the flight is too short--no food and no drinks in Y. My favs are Turkish, Lot, and sometimes Air France. I have none in the US. United starts a new menu Feb 1. We'll see how that goes.

Do not have much experience of flying the Western European airlines you speak off. I have seen many other airlines in different parts of the world go to the US style of Buy on Board. Once a couple of big dogs discontinue serving free food, others will follow the Enhancement, less expense, more profit thru savings and sales, more efficient service !
I think it was Delta in USA that figured out no one eats the whole leaf of lettuce, discarded it and at that time saved $4000 a year.

Joely Jan 25, 2015 5:18 pm

I flew LHR-HND yesterday on JAL in W (which serves the same meals as Y) and while BA may not be the worst they are clearly nowhere near the best, the food yesterday was really good and plentiful. Japanese food is generally amazing of course but still for economy airline food this was amazing.

GSTBK Jan 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 24232808)
Do not have much experience of flying the Western European airlines you speak off. I have seen many other airlines in different parts of the world go to the US style of Buy on Board. Once a couple of big dogs discontinue serving free food, others will follow the Enhancement, less expense, more profit thru savings and sales, more efficient service !
I think it was Delta in USA that figured out no one eats the whole leaf of lettuce, discarded it and at that time saved $4000 a year.

I think there was also something similar regarding the number of olives in a salad. Some eager eyed accountant saw that by reducing the number of olives by X, a saving of so many thousands a year could be made.

flolee Jan 26, 2015 12:39 am

hehe, i just found my picture of the said air koryo burger... as said previously, it didn't taste that bad.

http://i61.tinypic.com/358t4sk.jpg

HMPS Jan 26, 2015 11:07 am

Originally Posted by flolee (Post 24234425)
hehe, i just found my picture of the said air koryo burger... as said previously, it didn't taste that bad.

http://i61.tinypic.com/358t4sk.jpg

At least I can see a leaf of lettuce there ? :)

A sad day if BA and Air Koryo serve similar meals.

MSPeconomist Jan 26, 2015 2:39 pm

IIRC a year or two ago there were reports of Saudia serving donkey in business class.

NYCRuss Jan 26, 2015 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 24238161)
IIRC a year or two ago there were reports of Saudia serving donkey in business class.

Well if donkey paid for business class seats, they deserve to be served too. :p

HMPS Jan 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss (Post 24238390)
Well if donkey paid for business class seats, they deserve to be served too. :p

Why not if he was-an Emotional Support Animal traveling on an ward ticket ?