FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA don't feature in the world's worst airline meals! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1648766-ba-dont-feature-worlds-worst-airline-meals.html)

WeAreFlyingHigh Jan 24, 2015 8:24 am

BA is far from offering the world's greatest airline meals but what BA do offer is above average when all airlines are taken into account. Airlines flying domestics within some African countries, and airlines flying to forgotten about countries are perfect examples.

I've been on some smaller airlines where I've had a sandwich with mould on the bread. I have been served orange juice which had a green tinge to it. I've also been given raw chicken once too.

HIDDY Jan 24, 2015 8:25 am

The majority of these meals look like Y meals.
No idea why they insist on serving hot food which consists of the usual meat/chicken, sauce and mashed veg. I'd be quite happy if they only served cold food in Y. It usually looks and tastes better and saves the crew from having to heat it up.

hcuk94 Jan 24, 2015 8:51 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 24225465)
No idea why they insist on serving hot food which consists of the usual meat/chicken, sauce and mashed veg. I'd be quite happy if they only served cold food in Y. It usually looks and tastes better and saves the crew from having to heat it up.

Brrr no. Even in Y, I'm not a fan of cold food. Proper hot meal for me!

Globaliser Jan 24, 2015 9:25 am

Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 24225400)
Unfortunately the author of the letter is a clear victim of the great Virgin scam, as I call it.

No, he wasn't.

The potted summary of the story, AIUI, is that he had no reason to order an Indian vegetarian meal. He ordered one, knowing what he was going to get, for the purpose of being able to write a complaint letter of the kind that the did. As I said, it was a set-up.

I see that Amazon has enough of a sense of humour to list some of the products that people are writing witty fake reivews about.

hcuk94 Jan 24, 2015 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 24225723)
No, he wasn't.

The potted summary of the story, AIUI, is that he had no reason to order an Indian vegetarian meal. He ordered one, knowing what he was going to get, for the purpose of being able to write a complaint letter of the kind that the did. As I said, it was a set-up.

I see that Amazon has enough of a sense of humour to list some of the products that people are writing witty fake reivews about.

Ah ok, I missed that!

And hah, love the Amazon link. Not seen that before.
I find there are some amusing reviews on expensive alcohol. Have a look at some of the Dom Perignon vintages and Macallen Whiskies on Amazon - lots of silliness.

Stez Jan 24, 2015 10:15 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 24225465)

Hot food is a must in long-haul Y. It gets proper cold in the cabin that even the most hardened Geordie would perhaps begin to think about putting thicker t-shirt on.

WeAreFlyingHigh Jan 24, 2015 11:02 am

The problem with airline food is the airlines try to be too creative. They try and recreate everyday meals. Instead airlines should focus on simple meals which can be produced on the cheap. For example:

Breakfast: Weetabix pots, Ready Brek pots, pancakes, and *insert* on toast are all easily prepared on the ground for heating up/cooking in the air.

Lunch: Toasted sandwiches, sandwiches, and soups are easy to do.

Dinner: Bangers and mash, chicken and microwave chips, egg and soldiers, spaghetti bolognese, frittatas, stir fry, and cheesy bakes.

hcuk94 Jan 24, 2015 11:15 am

Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh (Post 24226165)
The problem with airline food is the airlines try to be too creative. They try and recreate everyday meals. Instead airlines should focus on simple meals which can be produced on the cheap. For example:

Breakfast: Weetabix pots, Ready Brek pots, pancakes, and *insert* on toast are all easily prepared on the ground for heating up/cooking in the air.

Dinner: Bangers and mash, chicken and microwave chips, egg and soldiers, spaghetti bolognese, frittatas, stir fry, and cheesy bakes.

I'm sure many on here will call me a pleb, and admittedly it probably wouldn't really fit with BA's desired image - but I'd actually be delighted to be presented with a large portion of chicken & chips on my next flight :p

edinburghgirl Jan 24, 2015 11:31 am

the worst airline meal i've had was several years ago on malaysian business class.described on the menu as chicken pie and that is exactly what it was : a thick heavy porkpie style pastry filled with what looked like about a pound of cooked chicken,no sauce no veg no nothing apart from this gigantic pie.it was as dry as a bone but we were starving and it was all that was available so we gave it a go but had to give up about halfway through.if youve ever played that game where you try to eat 3 dry cream crackers youll get a sense of how we felt

T8191 Jan 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by edinburghgirl (Post 24226283)
the worst airline meal i've had was several years ago on malaysian business class.described on the menu as chicken pie and that is exactly what it was : a thick heavy porkpie style pastry filled with what looked like about a pound of cooked chicken,no sauce no veg no nothing apart from this gigantic pie.it was as dry as a bone but we were starving and it was all that was available so we gave it a go but had to give up about halfway through.if youve ever played that game where you try to eat 3 dry cream crackers youll get a sense of how we felt

I suspect BA isn't too good at doing decent Malaysian food either :D

Every airline shoukd stick to its cultural roots, or at least get caterers that can do a decent approximation. Coukd you imagine MS contracting Gregg's for their pies?

Oaxaca Jan 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Actually had a pretty decent dish of noodles and pork belly on BA from MAD-LHR in CE yesterday. The CC serving was also Asian, for a second I could have closed my eyes and thought I was on CX.

Then I moved slightly, my knees whacked into the seat in front in new CE on a 320, some Monopole came into view and I remembered where I was...Still a tasty enough dish though, credit where it's due.

msian56 Jan 24, 2015 2:20 pm

BA's a hit and a miss for me so as MH. Though can't compete with the Middle Eastern giants in Y. Garuda is surprisingly good too the last time I flew with them. Flew a few times with Croatian and the food was horrible. Would rather eat McDonalds ;)

HMPS Jan 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 24222350)
This week I received emails from 3 different airlines asking me to vote for them on Skytrax, nothing from BA though.

is that because they know where they stand !

Originally Posted by johnwb (Post 24225032)
On old one, but you really feel for this poor fellow flying Virgin. Still the gold standard in complaint letters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...nt-letter.html

Here we go again ! Why not compare oneself to the one above / better tan self ?
The pic from OP looks like a meal served because the flt said " meal" ?

TPJ Jan 24, 2015 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by hcuk94 (Post 24221895)
BA food is fiiiiine. Not world class, but does the job.

To be honest my OS food on a 30 minute C-class VIE-MUC flight was MUCH better than my BA CE Band 3b ARN-LHR Afternoon Tea... And of course TK beats everyone - on a 50 minute C-class IST-ATH flight they serve an appetizer and then a hot main course (3 to choose from).

HMPS Jan 24, 2015 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh (Post 24226165)

But then BA will totally surrender a modicum of a premier airlines to the likes of Gulf and some other national airlines !

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 24226522)
I suspect BA isn't too good at doing decent Malaysian food either :D

Every airline shoukd stick to its cultural roots, or at least get caterers that can do a decent approximation. Coukd you imagine MS contracting Gregg's for their pies?

Understand what you are saying....but today travel is global, all kinds of people fly several brands. For example BA gets a lot of pax to and from India. They have to step up to their preferences, predominantly vegetarian and spicy. Gulf carriers do a fantastic job on this as does SQ or CX.

BTW American carriers do not even have it as a choice on domestic or long haul except when they are flying into and out of India. UA comes to mind.