Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by njf63
Reading the comments about re-clearing Security prompts me to ask if JER counts as domestic or international and therefore whether JER-LGW-AMS requires an exit and reclear or not ?
JER is domestic. So currently, if you arrive at a airbridge gate rather than a remote stand, you don't have to reclear.

If you get bussed, you have to reclear.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by cheshirepete
I'd probably use BA's LGW Hub more if they reinstated some connecting flights from Manchester once again. As is, I only use LGW now to fly to ALC, which involves a 2 Hour Train journey to Euston and then another Hour to get to Gatwick, so I have to allow 5-6 hours to use LGW.

Once Iberia commence their flights from MAN>MAD in September I'll have to reason to bother with LGW at all, as I'll just transit via MAD.

I often rule out BA day trips and short breaks from LGW simple as it's too inconvenient to get there.

So, my wishlist would be BA needs to rethink it's strategy on why it pulled the Manchester shuttles from it's 2nd biggest Hub.
You're still flying with IAG though, so I doubt BA will care too much.

Presumably the reason it pulled MAN from LGW was due to low/unjustifiable pax numbers.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Genius1
I predict a single new 'British Airways Lounge', as seen at IAD, CPT, AMS, EDI, GLA and BHD - but possibly with a separate Concorde Dining Room for First passengers.

Very exciting times for LGW, what with this terminal move bringing new check-in and lounge(s), and a new Airbus shorthaul fleet
Not sure why you would think that. LGW still has plenty of flights with F and lots of GCHs. Some of your list have no F at all or far fewer than LGW.

I also don't see any point in CCR style dining room, given that most LGW long haul leaves before noon. What would such area serve? Just breakfast?

For my penny's worth, I think it would be commercial suicide to not provide a proper F lounge (hopefully with LHR standard catering). Making it a single lounge, and I for one will be head to LHR where I have a choice and that takes me three times longer than LGW.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
For my penny's worth, I think it would be commercial suicide to not provide a proper F lounge (hopefully with LHR standard catering). Making it a single lounge, and I for one will be head to LHR where I have a choice and that takes me three times longer than LGW.
There is minimal overlap in longhaul (I think only Las Vegas) from LGW to LHR, and indeed in shorthaul, so BA are probably not concerned that pax might switch to LHR- mostly because they can't (and still fly BA).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Generally I see this as a positive move.

No doubt LGW will be funding the move and the pinger facilities in south to encourage BA to move north to south so I wouldn't be too quick to rule out a galleries and first lounge.

It will be nice to have all BA and BA codeshare flights in the same terminal to me things easier for connections (BE & EI )

Fingers crossed that BA continue to look at the operation at LGW with a view to additional short and longhaul flying.

cs
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:12 am

Terrible news for BA... Easyjet will be a much stronger competitor with operations in a single terminal, and it may well open the door to them offering connecting flights.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Originally Posted by GSTBK
You're still flying with IAG though, so I doubt BA will care too much.

Presumably the reason it pulled MAN from LGW was due to low/unjustifiable pax numbers.
I understand that was their business decision when they scrapped it. I only ever used it back then when I used to connect into the Orlando flights. Now, I use Virgin direct from Manchester or a Charter, and that decision was based on I can't get to LGW easily for a 9 hour flight to MCO !!!

Whether BA factored stuff like that into their equations I don't really know! But I can only speak for myself, but if I see a route I want to go on, I will 99% of the time try to fly One World. I often rule BA out from LGW simple as it is a massive increase for me in journey time to now get there.

Anyway, the MAD link due to start will open up so many routes for me now to other parts of Spain especially, so I'll probably bypass LHR more, and I think the Lounge at Madrid is of an order of magnitude above anything at T5 anyway! (Even Galleries First)
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Terrible news for BA... Easyjet will be a much stronger competitor with operations in a single terminal, and it may well open the door to them offering connecting flights.
U2's business is based purely on direct flights, without scope for connections. Whilst this could change, I don't see it coming to fruition any time soon- and not without a price tag either.

I don't think that the terminal move will negatively impact on BA greatly- afterall, the aim of the game is to improve efficiency, and allow a greater number of aircraft movements per hour, which can only be a benefit. I think we've also moved past U2 being a threat to BA at LGW- BA is very much the underdog now, although it does obviously have the benefit to LGW of the longhaul pax.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I wouldn't rule out some domestic flights returning, MAN, NCL etc

After all since these routes were deemed unprofitable BA are now flying more fuel efficient Airbus airctaft at LGW and the jet fuel has nose dived.

Fingers crossed

cs
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Not sure why you would think that. LGW still has plenty of flights with F and lots of GCHs.
Lots of GCHs may be true, but there are only a limited number of F destinations (Bermuda, Barbados, Port of Spain via St Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis via Antigua, Tampa) with typically only 2-3 departures per day with a First cabin - IAD and EWR both have 2-3 departures per day (and IAD has the A380 on one rotation), and both are combined F/J lounges, with separate F and J dining areas.

I do hope BA continue with a separate F lounge, but separate F/J lounges are increasingly a thing of the past amongst oneworld airlines at major airports.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by GSTBK
JER is domestic. So currently, if you arrive at a airbridge gate rather than a remote stand, you don't have to reclear.

If you get bussed, you have to reclear.
And that has been the perennial problem ... something like 90% of our JER flights into LGW have been bussed to Domestic Arrivals.

And that is a mixed blessing - we used Connections once [only] and it was an utter dysfunctional shambles, with just one screening station. We now go land-side [for a cigarette] before re-entering through normal Security. Infinitely less stressful.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by pacenotes
The have domestic security set up in south as if you come from Ireland you just hand over your boarding pass. That would be better than the bus over to the domestic area.

Much better than the north one.
South is a bit confusing in this regard as irish arrivals land via the main international stream and have a mechanism for bypassing immigration with boarding pass.

However, domestic arrivals are bussed to a separate domestic reclaim (accessed via a weird set of metal stairs) with no return air side possible. All exit into the main area opposite international arrivals. This has happened every time from BHD (on EI) since the old domestic pier closed. I understand a new domestic pier is due soon though.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
I heard that it was mainly driven by the increasing presence of Easyjet at LGW, and their intentions to centralise operations in a single terminal (north).
It's not just the increasing presence, it was the almighty cock-up [that's an archery term by the way] last year or so that effected U2 very badly, coupled with new Gatwick ownership that triggered this.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
And the wheel turns again: I remember saying a fond farewell to the lounge angel at LGW South BA Business lounge when it closed down and BA consolidated to North. What was that .... twelve/fifteen years ago? Nice folk, and always quieter than LGW North.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I wonder what BA will do if LGW gets a second runway?

I can't see it becoming a hub anytime soon unless something really radical happens like Star alliance move en masse there and it becomes a alliance hub

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.