Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat reservation tactics - Leaving middle seat empty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reservation tactics - Leaving middle seat empty

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I get relegated to a B seat any time soon and am asked to change it, I think I will keep it, just to annoy everyone.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ReadystEDIgo
I have mixed views about this topic because although it is nice to have an empty seat next to you in economy, if your behaviour impacts negatively on another person, I don’t think that’s right. Karma and all that.
But why limit that to couples? If somebody that I do not know already sits in A and I choose C, then it will impact negatively on another person in exactly the same way as if I now the person sitting in A. If you follow this to its logical conclusion, it should push you as as solo traveler to always select a B seat whenever either A or C is occupied.

I feel that a couple reserving seats A & C or D & F in economy on an A32X in the hope they get an empty seat next to them falls into that category because if EVERY couple on the flight behaved in that way it would be chaos. Couples and families who reserved seats later would be getting split up all over the place.
Again, no more chaos than if solo travelers select a C seat when A is occupied but not B.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess I am happy to discriminate against couples and expect them to share the available space. After all between them one of them at least will have one "good" seat.
Ah, yes. Presumably because couples who book together get a discount on the second seat and are therefore entitled to less than two solo travelers, right?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by NickB
But why limit that to couples? If somebody that I do not know already sits in A and I choose C, then it will impact negatively on another person in exactly the same way as if I now the person sitting in A. If you follow this to its logical conclusion, it should push you as as solo traveler to always select a B seat whenever either A or C is occupied.

Again, no more chaos than if solo travelers select a C seat when A is occupied but not B.
In a situation such as the one you describe, I agree. That's the luck of the draw and if the luck of the draw is that only B seats are available that's how it is (I see this situation often on early morning domestics when lots of people are travelling solo and select window or aisle).

What I wrote was that I have a view when a couple choose A & C in the hope that B will remain empty which is an entirely different situation because remaining available seats is not based on luck of the draw.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
Hate this tactic. Seems to be very prevalent on Easyjet & Ryan air. Couple want to stretch out & have a bit more personal space so they sit window & aisle in a row of three in the hope surely no one would be "rude" enough to want to sit between them. A large bag is usually placed in the middle seat to further deter anyone from trying to disturbing them.

And I have noticed a few times on BA, particularly short haul/domestic economy.

We'd all love more space on flight and a free seat or two next to us to allow for more personal space, a bit of stretching out and for our personal belongings to make the flight more comfortable. Apart from domestic flights that extra space is available but you want it you have to pay for it. That's life.
Not the same tactic, but in the old days of free seating on EasyJet, when travelling as a couple, having an infant on my lap was highly effective at encouraging people to choose another free aisle seat if they could see one on flights that weren't full!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NickB
That situation happens through normal means and is to be expected if you're amongst the last group to select a seat.
The couple choosing A+C well in advance is more manufactured. Still fair game as long as they don't try and bully the B person into taking a seat of their choice rather than leaving it to that person to choose. If that happened to me I'd probably do a cws and stay in the middle seat and if they even dared to communicate between themselves I'd tell them to shut up.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:25 am

Let me tell you a story.

Mrs Bealine and I were trying to be clever a few years ago on a morning LHR to JFK flight for our holidays. Being "on the inside", I checked the flight the night before to find it half empty and selected 24A and 24C, secure in the knowledge 24B would be empty.

What I didn't forsee was Virgin and American Airlines cancelling their evening flights and BA's reservations being swamped with rebookings during the wee small hours.

Whist we were happily reading the newspaper, a small Geordie voice said "24B", that's my seat! Can I get in please?"

"Certainly," quoth I, "Actially, we are both travelling together. Would you prefer to sit by the window or on the aisle?"

"No thanks" he replied, "24B is my seat. I'll just make myself comfortable!"

I will never again try to take window and aisle unless it is freely given by the airline staff!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bealine
"Certainly," quoth I, "Actially, we are both travelling together. Would you prefer to sit by the window or on the aisle?"

"No thanks" he replied, "24B is my seat. I'll just make myself comfortable!"
Good chap. ^

Many of us have been trained to decline seat swap requests automatically.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...r-stories.html
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:58 am

Couples and families who reserved seats later would be getting split up all over the place.
So, couples who reserve their seats early have some moral obligation to leave adjoining seats available for couples who reserve their seats later?

Really?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
After all between them one of them at least will have one "good" seat.
When travelling with Mrs.N, I know my place. She gets the window and I get a middle seat. After all, for a 45-90 minute flight it's no hardship and life's too short to court the wrath of SWMBO.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a situation such as the one you describe, I agree. That's the luck of the draw and if the luck of the draw is that only B seats are available that's how it is (I see this situation often on early morning domestics when lots of people are travelling solo and select window or aisle).

What I wrote was that I have a view when a couple choose A & C in the hope that B will remain empty which is an entirely different situation because remaining available seats is not based on luck of the draw.
But their hopes are irrelevant: the impact of third parties is exactly the same, whether of what their hopes are and whether they are related or not.
Remaining seats are never the result of the luck of the draw: they are the result of choices made by earlier passengers: if the reason you consider that the reason why the would-be occupier of C, who is related to A, should sit in B is because it will inconvenience passenger X who have chosen their seat yet, then this would also be true of would-be occupier of C, who is unrelated to A: he or she will inconvenience X in exactly the same way.

And I suspect that occupier of seat C, even when they do not know A, would also wish B to remain vacant. But, again, their wish is irrelevant.

Let me put to you another example: on an ABC-DEF config, A, B and F are occupied whereas C, D and E are not. You are a solo traveler. Which seat would you choose: C, D or E?

I would choose D and, I suspect, most other solo travelers would as well. The reason why we do it is obvious: we hope that E will remain free. This may or may not happen but one can live in hope . Yet, you could argue that this creates more inconvenience than in the case of the couple who choose A and C rather than B and C, since it takes away the pair of seats which are together and therefore leaves no room for a potential couple, whereas taking the C seat would have left D and E together. Does that mean that it is wrong to choose D and a solo traveler should not choose an aisle seat next to a free middle seat where there is elsewhere on the plane (or at least nearby rows) an aisle seat next to an occupied middle seat?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Still fair game as long as they don't try and bully the B person into taking a seat of their choice rather than leaving it to that person to choose. If that happened to me I'd probably do a cws and stay in the middle seat and if they even dared to communicate between themselves I'd tell them to shut up.
If I was in the middle, I would not object to changing to the aisle seat if they asked me (I prefer aisle seats): life's too short to be vindictive and cut one's nose to spite one's face but, if the shoe were on the other foot, I would certainly not ask the person in the middle to change nor expect it nor would I be so rude as to speak over that person to my friend/companion.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Brown
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
So, couples who reserve their seats early have some moral obligation to leave adjoining seats available for couples who reserve their seats later?

Really?
I don't think anybody has said that, it is more a case that if you want extra room pay for it. If you pick A C you know you make B unattractive and stop others who would be happy with C D, it is just people being cheap skates.

I suppose this whole discussion boils down to how you live your life. We all want to be as comfortable as possible, and if you can live your life thinking that if your comfort makes others life not so nice then tough on them, I would question what sort of person you are, thankfully not somebody I would ever rely on.

FP
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Originally Posted by Calchas
Good chap. ^

Many of us have been trained to decline seat swap requests automatically.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...r-stories.html
There is a difference between the seat swap horror stories you refer to, where the seat you end up in is way worse than the original, and having the option (not the obligation) to move from a middle seat to an adjacent, better aisle or window.

So in the ABC configuration in our example, you would stay in the middle seat just to prove your point? I see this as crazy but completely within your rights indeed. And I would not mind the least, it is a risk and I fully accept it.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Originally Posted by Fatpenguin
I suppose this whole discussion boils down to how you live your life. We all want to be as comfortable as possible, and if you can live your life thinking that if your comfort makes others life not so nice then tough on them, I would question what sort of person you are, thankfully not somebody I would ever rely on.
But I f you are ever wedged between me in A and my friend in C you can rely on me to offer you the A seat if you wish to have it. It's a start

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.