Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The story how I tried to turn my vacation into semi-TP run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond

So here I am sitting in Northern California in urgent need of a vacation. Been looking at options, all the Caribbean island, Mexico in different locations, Costa Rica, etc.

For going to the Caribbean I was looking to make sure I would fly SFO-<PHL|CLT>-<Final Destination> on US to maximize tier points (210 and 60).

But then I was looking more crazy things, I found JL flights as redemption to Tokyo (First outbound, Business inbound). So I started looking at Japan, Hot Springs or Okinawa. HND to Okinawa in Business for around $1,300. Or for the same money to Hanoi. So I started looking at Vietnam.

Decisions, decisions ... Found a flight back from Hanoi with QR to BKK->DOH->PHL in Business and US PHL->SFO in First. Total for that $2,608. 140+160(?)+210 TPs plus the ones for HND-Hanoi.

I spent over 3 days many hours a day looking at this. I am now even more exhausted and my brain hurts.

Ended up booking just straight forward SFO-PVR on AA in F and J ($928) and 200 TPs plus a Hilton all-inclusive for $2,375 for 11 nights. I just couldn't think anymore and pulled the trigger.

And I blame all of you for that.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Welcome to my world.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Soon I will probably do this, but it will happen when my current work place pays out my vacation (probably when I quit). 15+ weeks of vacation, use that for a 3-4 week trip around the world.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Gshumway, a round the world trip certainly sounds great!

The whole Tier Point game is very addictive and also can be quite fun. When I have spare time on my hands I often sit down with a cup of coffee and go through all the TA websites. Recently I've found Google Flights to be particularly useful. I suppose the biggest gamble is knowing when to buy the flights...sometimes you think you've got a bargain and then you notice something cheaper!

It sounds as if you got a good deal, so you did quite well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.