Wiki Posts
Search

Running out of booze

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Running out of booze

On my recent flight back from the US, the CW cabin ran out of one of the wines I was drinking and tanqueray gin.

The crew member made it clear that they were not loading enough as their bar now has to last for the inbound and outbound leg. She said it sort of works for the shorter flights to JFK and BOS, but on longer west coast flights (as this was) where people are drinking over a longer period, it's not working.

Is this a recent change? Seems a bit crap to be regularly running out of booze; if the crew are reporting that it's not working, BA should revert back to what did work.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Snip snip. That's the sound of costs being cut!

On a mildly unrelated note, I can't begin to imagine your pain when they ran out of tanq. I think I'd have a breakdown on board.

Worring if they're running out on an 'average' flight, though. I could see it if the flight was delayed and people were sitting there drinking 8 bottles of dom taittinger whilst they waited - but if your flight was 'as normal', it's not really on.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
It's a good job that my sister wasn't on the plane, as you guys (and gals) wouldn't have had a chance! She drank them out of wine once on a flight to to US, I just kept my head down in shame.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:51 am

Cost cutting.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Sipsmith, Adnams and Dodds gin mixed with fevertree tonic has ruined any other G&T for me.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Sludge
Originally Posted by Adstring
The crew member made it clear that they were not loading enough as their bar now has to last for the inbound and outbound leg.
This has happened to me as well on a couple of recent occasions and the same point has been made by crew.

And it's obviously about cutting costs. I fear that all we can do is complain officially.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
It's a pity, I remember years ago when VS started doing this and it was just SOP that they would run out. It won't take much, just a flight where you have above average takers for (usually) gin or vodka and it will happen.

On LGW-LAS they would simply close the bar in Y after the first drinks and meal service since pretty much every flight booze would be guaranteed to run out.

Pity they are going this way, I would expect CW and F (if, god forbid, it happens there) might have some pull in changing this but I'm not holding out much hope.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BYOB fares next ?

Actually, Are you 'allowed' to open your own bottle on board ? Probably not but in this scenario if they ran out of gin and I had a duty free bottle, I would be tempted !
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Happens on every CW I've had recently - champagne (ran out and only had pink left after the first run), wine - only 1 choice of red straight after dinner and Gin (about 4 hrs before landing on most recent flight)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
surely everyone complained and got bundles of avios?

P.S - never happened to me
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I wrote a mild-mannered complaint (my first ever complaint actually), the main thrust of which was that G-MEDK wasn't up to CE standards, but I also mentioned that Champagne was rationed to 1 bottle on a 4hr flight. I got 5000 avios, which seemed to be for the lack of booze rather than G-MEDK being unfit for purpose.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
5k seems awfully low.

I'd want 10k in CE, 20k in CW, some big number in F
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:20 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Running out of booze

Data point: Ran out of champagne on my J flight to DXB after a ground delay of 5 hours last Christmas. Got 25k. I'm Gold.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Chris9642
Happens on every CW I've had recently - champagne (ran out and only had pink left after the first run), wine - only 1 choice of red straight after dinner and Gin (about 4 hrs before landing on most recent flight)
Well if they do not refill the bar for westbound TATL, I feel really sorry for those who will be on BA2 on Sept 3rd (after the huge number of FTers fly the babybus to JFK).
Left without booze, I would be pushing for a serious avios compensation!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Jeez - I thought this only applied on the 'Bucket and Spade' routes out of LGW.

My last CW flight just after Christmas was just so lacklustre in all respects that after a cursory look at the boring menu (and even the plain white menu card lacks any 'style'), I just turned in and went to sleep.

BA cabin services are really sinking fast aren't they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.