Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CWLCY op by BA Ltd. no more

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:13 am
Original Poster

CWLCY op by BA Ltd. no more

Looks like from January 1st, CWLCY services will not be operated by "British Airways BA ltd." but revert to being mainline.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Does that mean a change of crew? Don't the current ones come from Gatwick?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by dddc
Does that mean a change of crew? Don't the current ones come from Gatwick?
Don't think change of legal entity operating the flight / a/c would have impact on crew (cabin crew come from LGW; flight deck crew come from LHR).
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Indeed, there should be no noticeable impact to us passengers other than the Captain not needing to say the service is operated by "British Airways BA Ltd." any more.

It's purely an AOC change. Flight deck still come from Heathrow and cabin crew from Gatwick.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The whole point of the change was a bit daft anyway. Although they did use the call sign Gherkin instead of Speedbird.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
There were no flight crew changes/issues when these flights were moved from BA mainline for the subsidiary so I would not expect any changes if the flights move back (I can see that the "operated by" details on my 2015 BA1 flights have changed). I do wonder if they have got FAA approval for the change under the AA codeshare numbers (as this is a change to the codeshare arrangements) - I recall there was a delay when the flights were moved last time which meant the flights could not be booked using the AA numbers for a while.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Wasn't the change intended to facilitate some sort of security against the purchase of LHR slots - or something in the same area?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by stifle
The whole point of the change was a bit daft anyway. Although they did use the call sign Gherkin instead of Speedbird.
Actually (so we were recently told) the callsign isn't used because the flight plans are filed as Speedbird: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23630320-post201.html
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by destere
Wasn't the change intended to facilitate some sort of security against the purchase of LHR slots - or something in the same area?
I was told it was some sort of mechanism to facilitate a particular type of leasing agreement.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Originally Posted by destere
I was told it was some sort of mechanism to facilitate a particular type of leasing agreement.
IIRC there was a plan to bundle up some more assets (in the true sense) - LHR slots, possibly? - into the company and then use it as security for financing. But the idea never took off, and the transaction didn't complete.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stifle
I doubt it was daft. Remember this was a commercial decision. There will have been an advantage to IAG in setting up a SPV to operate these flights (whether that be some sort of leasing advantage/securitisation issue).
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Slightly related but aren't BA setting up an Airbus flight crew base at Gatters now that the boeings are going ?

That way surely both cabin and flight crews will come from LGW ?

cs
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Slightly related but aren't BA setting up an Airbus flight crew base at Gatters now that the boeings are going ?

cs
Nobody at LGW is London City trained and I doubt the small one way saving in transport costs is worth the training expense and loss of experience on the A318 fleet.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
One upside of this - anyone who used AmEx corporate travel as their travel agent and used an AAirpass to book transatlantic travel wasn't able to book LCY>JFK as it wasn't operated by mainline BA. This should go away now that the route is no longer going to be operated by BA Ltd.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
Surely LGW pilots and cabin crews have had A320 series planes on the list of types they are qualified to work on for several years now, and A319s and later A320s have been allocated to Gatwick ever since the smaller 733 and 735s disappeared, increasing as the ex-BMI aircraft became available to make inroads into the remaining 734s.

Perhaps an insider could confirm that in the UK flight/cabin crews can hold current qualifications for 3 aircraft types (A320 family counting as one type just as 733/734/735 did) so from summer 2015 LGW-based personnel would have a "spare" type as there will only be 772 and A318/9/20 allocated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.