Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[UK] BA Discounts for Vitality Health (Pru) Members - Up To 40% from Feb 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[UK] BA Discounts for Vitality Health (Pru) Members - Up To 40% from Feb 2014

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Whoops, looks like email2markt beat me to the punch!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
Thanks for the recent posts in this thread, and a particularly welcome to FT and the BAEC forum ILikePancakes.

Vitality does have an interesting marketing model, so for clarity can I check it is only economy fares and only European routes? Useful for an Ex-Euro trip. But it is only one or two flights a year depending on how much gym time you out in?

Their model seams to have a lot of benefits on paper, but each of the benefits does seam to have quite stringent qualifying criteria- their headline benefit of 50% off Virgin Active for example is on fully flexible non-contract rates- so £102 a month for my gym after the 50% off, which is £25 more than if you sign up to a standard contract. I'd be interested to find out from members how much of the benefits they use, considering the higher insurance prices than other providers (my understanding is your premium has to be over £30 and you then pay an extra £5 to get the benefits?
Our company used to provide Vitality health insurance for my family and it was great considering how little I paid. The premiums then shot up so the company switched to Bupa.

MY wife and I then took out Vitality life insurance, each paying just under £30/mth. When we signed up the minimum you needed to get the benefits was £25 I think.

My wife wanted to use the Virgin gym and you are right in saying that for any of the top tier "Classic" gyms, the expensive flexi contract that you have to use is only a tiny bit more than the regular contract after discount. But our local one is second tier, and for that, the discount alone already covers the premium. We live in Richmond and the Chiswick Riverside gym costs >£250/mth so 50% off would be awesome but its sadly excluded =(.

The other biggy is the Ocado discount. We can get up to £20/mth each off our shopping bill which we max out every month so thats nearly £500 off our annual grocery bill. I have a feeling that this will be "enhanced" downwards in the future as it is too easy and too much of a perk.

And then we each get one free Starbucks a week which is nice. You also get a free cinema ticket each week which we don't use.

You also get one pair of trainers half price a year so that's another ~£40-50 saved.

So we get more than the premium's worth of money back from things that we actually have to spend on anyway. So basically the life insurance component is free.

Have yet to use the BA discount though as its only EU economy which does seem rather pointless? Would definitely consider if CE or CW were included.

Last edited by benjai; Mar 5, 2017 at 2:48 pm
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Hi All,

My first post, how exciting!

I thought I'd chime in as I'm an avid Vitality member. I've so far book 3 BA flights for my partner and I using the 40% discount (we're both platinum members), 2 near the end of last year's policy date, and one this year (to OSL, for our QR flights to AKL!).

Yes, the portal can be fiddly, but I find persistance is the way forward... If it doesn't work, close the window and re-launch it from the Member's Area on Vitality.

With all the recent BoB 'enhancements', it's actually been rather nice to have a hefty discount for a couple of flights a year...
How do you get to platinum? We hit gold easily just through activity tracking alone but platinum seems to require other things which seem a hassle.

Although you get points from Ocado shopping as well now so hopefully that will help.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:14 pm

Platinum is doable! We achieved it in about 8-9 months without being too aggressive about it. Don't forget you start the new policy year on the level you achieved.

For a couple you need to accrue 3600 points in the year. Ways to do this:
  • Install the Moves App (or FitBit if you're on iPone) or use any tracking device you have/go to VA. You can earn up to 40 points a week per person
  • 100 per person for visiting the dentist per year per person
  • 200 points per person for doing the health questionnaire and being non-smokers
  • If you wish, you can do the health check-up for £10. You'll get 240 points for 'knowing your numbers', an additional 60 per number if they're good (another 240), and a bonus 200 for being confirmed as a non-smoker (all per person)

Of course, you can also get points if you join WeightWatchers (discounted, if that's your thing), shopping at Ocado, etc., but the above is more than enough to get you to platinum (and get you active!) if you're organised.

Vitality will also give you 'challenges' to complete, such as keeping active for 150 mins a week, etc. When these are completed you'll get additional bonus points of around 100-150 per challenge.

Note that you roll over 10% of accrued points from the previous year, so every little helps!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:29 am

Platinum is doable! We achieved it in about 8-9 months without being too aggressive about it. Don't forget you start the new policy year on the level you achieved.

For a couple you need to accrue 3600 points in the year. Ways to do this:
  • Install the Moves App (or FitBit if you're on iPone) or use any tracking device you have/go to VA. You can earn up to 40 points a week per person
  • 100 per person for visiting the dentist per year per person
  • 200 points per person for doing the health questionnaire and being non-smokers
  • If you wish, you can do the health check-up for £10. You'll get 240 points for 'knowing your numbers', an additional 60 per number if they're good (another 240), and a bonus 200 for being confirmed as a non-smoker (all per person)

Of course, you can also get points if you join WeightWatchers (discounted, if that's your thing), shopping at Ocado, etc., but the above is more than enough to get you to platinum (and get you active!) if you're organised.

Vitality will also give you 'challenges' to complete, such as keeping active for 150 mins a week, etc. When these are completed you'll get additional bonus points of around 100-150 per challenge.

Note that you roll over 10% of accrued points from the previous year, so every little helps!
How does the dentist part work? Do you have to send them receipts or something?

And where do you find the "challenges"?

We are on two separate plans so its 2400 points for each of us unfortunately. I think last year we were around halfway through gold so still some way off platinum.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:42 am

I usually take a picture of the receipt I get from the dentist and email it to them - there's details on the Vitality website.

Re: the challenges, it usually shows up as something as 'your goals' - they appear randomly, and usually based on completing the health review thing. Click through to My Vitality. If there isn't anything, consider going through your health review again, it might trigger something.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: BA, Virgin. LC Accor, IGH, BW
As a 24 year old company director I'm tempted to go for this. Especially the apple watch idea. I've recently completed the couch25k plan so if I could keep that up it would be great to keep the monthly repayments to circa £5 per month.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:33 am

Re: the challenges, it usually shows up as something as 'your goals' - they appear randomly, and usually based on completing the health review thing. Click through to My Vitality. If there isn't anything, consider going through your health review again, it might trigger something.
OMG I found it thanks! Can't believe I never knew about that. FT is great!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
    I've just switched back to Apple from Android and now have a shiny new Apple Watch 2 on my wrist courtesy of Vitality. £99 down for the 42mm watch then either 2 years of interest free credit if you are a couch potato or if moderately active that's all you pay; saving 75% on RRP. As I walk to work I get my 40 weekly activity points from this alone getting me the watch for 25% of RRP. Great deal.

I'm trying to make the Ocado deal work but I'm on a corporate Vitality plan in my name covering family, whilst our Ocado account (and annual pass) is in my wife's name - the two need to be in the same name to work, apparently.
    Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by FlyboyStu
    I'm trying to make the Ocado deal work but I'm on a corporate Vitality plan in my name covering family, whilst our Ocado account (and annual pass) is in my wife's name - the two need to be in the same name to work, apparently.
    This shouldn't be a problem at all. Connecting Ocado to Vitality doesn't require a name. You just put the Ocado email address into Vitality.

Otherwise, just create a separate Ocado account in your wife's name and use that instead. Delivery is free using Vitality anyway. Once you've used up the Vitality monthly allowance then just switch back to your Ocado account.

My wife and I both have Vitality separately and the Ocado account was in my name with annual pass. So we created a separate Ocado account for my wife so that we get two sets of Vitality discount. I'll cancel the pass as well when its due for renewal shortly as Vitality give free delivery.
    Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by benjai
    This shouldn't be a problem at all. Connecting Ocado to Vitality doesn't require a name. You just put the Ocado email address into Vitality.

Otherwise, just create a separate Ocado account in your wife's name and use that instead. Delivery is free using Vitality anyway. Once you've used up the Vitality monthly allowance then just switch back to your Ocado account.
    Well I've just managed to connect my Vitality account with my wife's Ocado account quite by accident, as when I clicked the link it registered that she'd previously been logged in to Ocado on my laptop and linked the two with no more questions asked. Thanks benjai; with the amount we spend on healthy stuff from Ocado this discount should pay for a few flights
    Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
    Originally Posted by benjai

My wife and I both have Vitality separately and the Ocado account was in my name with annual pass. So we created a separate Ocado account for my wife so that we get two sets of Vitality discount. I'll cancel the pass as well when its due for renewal shortly as Vitality give free delivery.

Just a quick correction, delivery is only free if at least 30% of your shop is 'healthy food' (mostly fruit/veg, chicken and fish etc).
    Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by abfab
    Just a quick correction, delivery is only free if at least 30% of your shop is 'healthy food' (mostly fruit/veg, chicken and fish etc).
    Ah yes, sorry I forgot about that. But hopefully most regular shops do have at least that!
    Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:10 pm

We're veggies, over 60% of our shop is 'healthy'
    Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS, Emirates, Hilton, Marriott, SPG
    We're veggies, over 60% of our shop is 'healthy'
    i like pancakes, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.