Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wife and I travelling on the same route but different flights. Can we swap flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wife and I travelling on the same route but different flights. Can we swap flights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hi All,

Seeking a bit of advice.

Cut a long story short, I'm on the BA2154 tomorrow in CW and my wife the BA2152 in WT.

We book flights long in advance to fly home and she used to be fairly uninterested in cabin. She always said that she'd prefer the money to spend rather than anything above WT.

We used to fly on separate dates due to work.

This year, as most others, I booked WTP back in January and religiously checked to find a UUA and I'm now in CW on the flight 3 hours before hers.

However this year we got married and we flew CW and she utterly, absolutely, amazingly, loved it. So now the flights home come and I'm getting grief.

Therefore, what do you think the chances are that when I check in, I can arrange for her to get my seat and vice versa. I am a bit bitter about this, but know I should at least try for clear conscience and future happy days. If they do, I need to write a card at check in and get the wife bonus points!

TD
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think there is zero chance as you are on separate flights and for security reasons this would take two tickets changes. You might be able to change one of your two tickets to put each other on the same flight but this will come at a cost. Congratulations on the wedding and you'll just book it differently for next year and will I'm sure enjoy your joint flying!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What does this have to do with wife swapping?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: ABBA
Checkin together, explain the situation. They may (very unlikely) be able to move your wife to your flight.

If you're on the same flight there shouldn't be a problem swapping boarding passes for the entire flight once on board, just chat to the cabin crew.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Well Often1, I'm not sure what your interpretation is, but the title included "wife" ie, my, and "swap", related to the seats.

Filthy mind!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:05 pm

I think virtually zero. They wont swap tickets officially even if its on the same flight - crew just let you sit in each other's seats once onboard. Asking to swap flights is something that can't just be done by crew discretion. Still, if you dont ask you dont get.

I don't think she will mind too much as you're on different flights. Mine doesn't care then - but if we're on the same aircraft she will flat out refuse to go if we're not in the same cabin/sat next to each other.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Phol - yeah, fingers crossed!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by phol
Mine doesn't care then - but if we're on the same aircraft she will flat out refuse to go if we're not in the same cabin/sat next to each other.
Rather: ...flatly refuses to go if not in the same or better cabin...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
What does this have to do with wife swapping?
Some spoilsport has changed the title
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tominbgi
However this year we got married and we flew CW and she utterly, absolutely, amazingly, loved it. So now the flights home come and I'm getting grief.
Welcome to the rest of your life. This is purely of your own making and you should have realised that you'll be forking out for premium travel for the rest of your life. You should have asked our advice BEFORE the wedding!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:05 am

Just wait until you fly CW and then get complaints that it's "a bit shabby".

My better half, like me, was economy only when we got married. After flyertalk though I flew her out to join me in Washington after a week of work. I booked her in WTP, which is how I fly for work, and all was fine

Then UUA appeared on the outbound. And on the return. On the outbound she was in 64A (this was 2 years before I had the pleasure of the upper deck), and when I picked her up at IAD she said it was "fine".

On the return we were on a pre-refurb 767 from BWI. I scored a £250 WTP-CW AUP, and she was already in CW. That was great. Until a couple of weeks later when "it was a bit shabby" came out.

Since then she's only flown F long haul, first on a 777-Z series, then in 1A on the 747 in NF. I think that expectations have been set a bit too high.

I flew her and mother in law in economy once to BCN, and boy did I get it in the neck.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You have nowhere to go but NetJets now. Before there was Concorde, but perhaps you've peaked too soon. It's F forever now sadly.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
I flew her and mother in law in economy once to BCN, and boy did I get it in the neck.
To be fair, you should probably have got the mother in law a return .
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SteveF
To be fair, you should probably have got the mother in law a return .
Hahaha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.