Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA short haul product vs. the LCCs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: All Expired... :-(
While every time I have flown with Ryan Air is has been a pretty horrible experience, EasyJet are pretty much on a par with BA for short haul (especially if you have paid for EasyJet+ to get priority boarding and advance seat selection). When choosing between BA and EasyJet is pretty much comes down to routes and times, prices will be largely similar.

As someone who only travels HBO, one thing that I would like to see, and that could persuade me to chose one airline over another, is for an airline to include free hold baggage, and to charge for using the overhead bins. Passengers that don't want to pay for an overhead bin can carry on a handbag or something to put under the seat in front. I know that you can use priority boarding with BA status (or CE), or EJ+ to board first, but one some flights it seems nearly 75% of the plane has priority boarding,

Nearly every flight I take seems to have far too many people taking on more hand baggage than they should, and then leaving the gate late as people walk around trying to find space for their carry on.

I wonder if business people in a hurry would pay more for overhead bin space than tourists would for hold luggage.....
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
my main point is simple I have never found LCCs prices once all the extras have been added to be significantly cheaper than BA certainly not cheap enough for me to fly to an inconvenient airport

in fact in the past I have actually found a LCC to be more expensive than BA or in fact BMI when I was flying them

now many people may have found a different result but I can only speak from my own experience
Until a few years ago, the LCCs were almost always significantly cheaper than BA. They've however been getting steadily more expensive while BA has been getting cheaper and cheaper. Many people who travelled during that period will automatically assume that's still the case.

Not that the LCC's need to be "significantly cheaper" for the average leisure traveller with no interest in airmiles, no lounge access and no great desire to use Fast track or choose their seats. Or the majority of the country who live much closer to a regional airport with direct LCC flights to their destination.

And despite the gap closing, it's still pretty rare for me to find a BA flight cheaper than a LCC - particularly when I don't need to take a bag.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
The main thing that keep me flying BA is LHR - it's by far my closest and most easily accessed airport (and T5 is the closest and easiest to access bit of LHR). Any airline that isn't flying out of LHR is going to have to be substantially cheaper than BA before I consider flying them. Throw in the savings from BA flights + hotel deals and it becomes even harder for other carriers (even if they do fly out of LHR) to get my business.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:06 pm
Lux

Originally Posted by Calchas
The mean delay was 15.44 minutes.
Be interesting to see what the median and range of times is for each carrier (and level of cancellations). It can be estimated from the CAA data, but don't have time for that at the moment.

Originally Posted by Cerebrito
As someone who only travels HBO, one thing that I would like to see, and that could persuade me to chose one airline over another, is for an airline to include free hold baggage, and to charge for using the overhead bins.
It's a nice idea, but baggage handlers cost money whereas passengers don't.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by allturnleft
I refused to fly LCC after a couple of experiences with the Ryanair scrum and easy speedy boarding. It truly was a horrible experience. But now with allocated seating and some better catering and extra leg room seats (especially the Monarch model) I think the LCC offering can actually be better then BA Y.
Monarch's 'extra' package includes extra leg room seats and is generally cheaper than CE and may offer a better product now too. You can generally buy 3 seats for the cost of 2 in CE if you're desperate for that empty middle seat too!

I recently priced up TFS and its either £880 direct on ZB or £1240 with an LHR//LGW change included… not a difficult choice really for a family of 3!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.