Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Retro Liveries? What would you like to see?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retro Liveries? What would you like to see?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
I can tell you my least favourite...the DOVE one. It's utterly ridiculous. It didn't relate to the Olympics, doesn't relate to Britishness, doesn't relate to elegance, and looks horrid. I haven't seen it for a while though, does anyone know if they still have it?

Last edited by WeAreFlyingHigh; Nov 25, 2014 at 3:34 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by binman
The ethnic tails were an idea well ahead of their time unlike maggie who was well past hers by that stage.
The ethnic tails looked great all in a bunch at LHR. When one lone aircraft appeared at some distant outstation, though, it didn't make any sense.

Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
I can tell you my least favourite...the DOVERone... I haven't seen it for a while though, does anyone know if they still have it?
Saw one at T5 on 29 October.

Originally Posted by Dave_C
747 in BOAC livery. 'Nuff said.
The BOAC 747 was in my opinion the most beautiful commercial aircraft ever. I would love to see a 744 done up that way before they go.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers
Back, back, back to BOAC. Recall the Beatles song?
You'd have to put it on a MIA-LHR-DME for full effect.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
I think if Boeing did a 747 comfortably sitting 12 across on the main deck with the upper deck 50% the length of the lower deck with the entire thing 10% longer than it currently is, with Trent XWB's, it would be a hard opportunity to miss for most airlines. The length with extra width and enlarged upper deck would bring capacity close to the A380, and you could carry more cargo than the A380. With engine improvements the plane could fly further for less.
The 77W can carry (quite a lot) more cargo than the 747, with almost the same number of passengers, with only two engines.

The cargo capacity of the 747 and A380 (after you've accounted for the amount of passenger luggage needed to be carried) is very comparable- the 747 is I believe only able to carry a slightly smaller amount.

I don't realistically think you'd get any takers for your 747 on steroids, for that reason, even if by some miracle it was offered.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I can tell you my least favourite...the DOVERone. It's utterly ridiculous. It didn't relate to the Olympics, doesn't relate to Britishness, doesn't relate to elegance, and looks horrid. I haven't seen it for a while though, does anyone know if they still have it?
The golden doves? I see them all the time - there's at least three still around but I suspect more than that.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I like the current one. The Landor one was very nice but it does look quite old fashioned now.

I don't mind the doves but I won't lament them when they go.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by exilencfc
I like the current one. The Landor one was very nice but it does look quite old fashioned now.

I don't mind the doves but I won't lament them when they go.
The Doves now have run their course and have lost the novelty IMO. There are still a few about.

The current BA livery is very effective if nothing spectacular.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by skipness1E
You must be such fun at parties!
Another vote for the BOAC B744. "Better on a Camel".
a) Agreed

b) Alternatively 'Bend over again Christine'

BOAC's Golden Speedbird on the VC10s (and the 707 and 747) were abolute classics.

Landor I thought a bit fussy, and the ethnic tailfins, whilst rather 'right 0n', were terribly confusing.

Personally I'd go for a BOAC livery on the long haul fleet and BEA livery on the shorthaul fleets @:-)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
I loved the Utopia tails, the brighter the better. My favourite being G-BNWU in the Bloomsterang Sweden tail. Looked great on 747-236 G-BDXG too.

http://www.lockonaviation.net/html/s...to.php?id=3506

I do love almost all of them though.

http://www.lockonaviation.net/html/f...i_shortname=ba

For a retro livery I would like the last 767 to get a Landor paint. Although I guess it will be one of the G-BZH* series aircraft which were delivered with a Utopia Image so it wouldn't be too bad for those to be repainted in their original world tails. Hopefully not ZHA though as 'Wings' was one of my least favourite.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by RedcardPingle
The golden doves? I see them all the time - there's at least three still around but I suspect more than that.
The original BA aircraft painted as Doves are penciled in for a repaint over the next six months and the 2 ex bmi Doves later in the year

I was on UOH about 3 weeks ago and whilst it actually had full Dove painted nacelles for a change rather than random blue bits it looked a real mess inside. It was nice that the pictures on the front were pics of a Dove painted A319 though rather than a bowl of flowers or whatever. The original Airbus interior really does look dated compared to the newer aircraft.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Ethnic tails were a brilliant idea but unfortunately the idea has been copied by others, so is now pointless, though still like looking at photos of them.
Present scheme is OK but does not stand out except maybe at T5 where for the most part there is no competion apart from an occasional Iberia Airbus.
Jet Blue and others have managed to make a success of variations on a theme and a little humour helps as well.
Retro schemes on modern aircraft do not look right. Time for something new and clever, but if new CE is anything to go by we'll have a long wait. Still waiting for a new CW.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
Originally Posted by BearX220
The BOAC 747 was in my opinion the most beautiful commercial aircraft ever. I would love to see a 744 done up that way before they go.
Originally Posted by Dave_C
747 in BOAC livery. 'Nuff said.
It's not the real thing but I did find pictures of photoshopped 744's and 748's in BOAC colours. How many signatures do you think you need before BA start rolling out retro aircraft as a PR exercise?

http://i.imgur.com/nN5GEE4.jpg
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Landor, Landor, Landor...did I mention Landor?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I really like the Landor livery. There is an sense of arrogance and patriotism about it showing off national pride. It's Royal looking too. I can't help but think of flying 'class'

I AGREE ^ i like the LANDOR the best on a 747
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:02 pm

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
Programs: BAEC & VS.
How about a 2 on 1 scheme - like they did briefly with the Singapore Concorde.
One side of a 747 BOAC and the other Landor perhaps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.