Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latest BA "To Fly. To Serve" advert

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Well Nimrod1965, at least you got to fly in her, albeit a short hop to Scotland. Quite a comedown from Concorde on the outbound to Easyjet on the return.

You're right, it is a shame to see her just neglected and all alone, and although it's always nice to see her while passing, it makes me think of what I missed.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by headingwest
Well Nimrod1965, at least you got to fly in her, albeit a short hop to Scotland. Quite a comedown from Concorde on the outbound to Easyjet on the return.
That's right. The easyJet was my first experience with them or any other LCC and was interesting for it's own sake. It also involved a Boeing 737 which I like. ^
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: ABBA
Concorde should be put on top of t5b. Or better departing from a19.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Concorde should be put on top of t5b. Or better departing from a19.
I wish they'd use it to bus people from Gate A10.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:29 am

I was lucky to fly her on several occasions, but not being a fan of New York it was always en route to somewhere else, which rather defeated the point.

The Goodwood Travel "Flights of Fantasy" company used to run charters down to Nice for the Grand Prix, which was always jolly with a heli-transfer to the pool view Monaco grandstand.

There was a £1000 premium to fly on her on a RTW ticket.

She was lovely, but rather noisy and warm towards the end of the flight, and when full it was cramped in there. But still special.

Visit the one at Brooklands in Surrey; it's superb and the rest of the aviation museum is good, you can then potter across to Mercedes Benz World.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/imag...E_BROCHURE.pdf
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
I never flew Concorde, and really don't feel that I've missed out, but perhaps that's because I never flew in it.

To those that have, if you were flying to New York today, and had the choice, would you choose Concorde the seat as it was then and the shorter flight, or the more spacious CW-LCY cabin and seat and the longer flight of today? If so, what premium would you pay for the former?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
Haven't travelled on the LCY service yet, but I'd definitely take F over the Concorde now on the westbound. Coming eastbound it's a harder call as you'd be sacrificing in-flight comfort for a proper nights sleep without losing a full day to travel as you do on the a.m. JFK departures.

Although I (we?) look back nostalgically at her I'd tend towards comfort over speed and see it as more of a novelty type trip.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If they could cut down the flying time between EZE-LHR by half and make all flights day flights I would gladly sit in a cramped seat and pay more for the privilege. Premium cabin frills soon wear off after 5 hours into a 12 hour flight and no aircraft flat bed will ever beat a night in a proper bed.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
Fantastic shot! It would be a fantastic marketing campaign too! However, with Concorde no longer in service it seems out of place. It's a case of BA milking a popular icon. If they want to capitalise on some nostalgia they must bring back a modernised version of the face advert or the flying flag one.
This is exactly it! I actually see this and think how stupid BA was to let such a beautiful icon go...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I never flew Concorde, and really don't feel that I've missed out, but perhaps that's because I never flew in it.

To those that have, if you were flying to New York today, and had the choice, would you choose Concorde the seat as it was then and the shorter flight, or the more spacious CW-LCY cabin and seat and the longer flight of today? If so, what premium would you pay for the former?
Ohhhh, Monsieur Paralytic, in a heartbeat, without batting an eye - Concorde. I have a picture sitting on my dresser of my first Concorde flight taken in the mid-80s and it makes me smile every morning. I was 19 years old. I was able to fly about a dozen round trips on Concorde (BA only). Words can't describe the awe and wonder...it doesn't compare to any flying experience, be it on a BBJ, G-V or an all J A319...my opinion.

Once on a sunny day, I was landing into JFK, looking out the window. I saw on the water the shadow of Concorde and couldn't believe I was on this work of art. The entire experience is otherworldly. It's not about the legroom because there was plenty of legroom, just wasn't spacious. It's the entire experience all starting by walking into T4, going to the far right and hearing "Flying Concorde today?"....

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Nov 25, 2014 at 7:29 am
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by HighLife
I still have my Concorde hip flask. Don't remember anything about the flight though as it was an LHR-JFK in 1981 with my Grandfather and I was 3 years old
Everyone got the same gift...and I am sure his grandfather took it for him to have. I have about 20+ Concorde gifts in a storage box. I don't know what I am going to do with them...pass them down? Everything from a dual clock to sterling book holder.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I only got to fly it twice, had to pay almost a month's net salary, and although it was the biggest waste of money, I loved it. This is one of my favourite photos (excluding the ones of the family of course!):
Beautiful pic!

BA and AF were flying scheduled service to Singapore (with SQ), Bahrain, Rio, Mexico City, Caracas...can you imagine a bunch of Concorde flights all over the world? Incredible.

On the LHR-JFK routes, time-wise, you would arrive before you left the same day. If they had flights leaving the US West Coast to Asia, you would arrive in Tokyo the day before you left!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
I flew her one-way, London to New York in September 2003. £500 staff travel offer, paid for by my folks for my 21st birthday.

My first time in NYC to boot. Left London 1830, landed 1730, night on the town, day spent exploring, Jumbo (in Y) back that evening.

This is my favourite photo though...what a brand icon. Even if you were booking a Y return to Edinburgh, booking British Airways meant you were a part of this...

Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I had that poster on my wall as a kid.

I drew on it with purple crayon
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:28 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
Originally Posted by Paralytic

I would still choose Concorde - used to be able to catch the first shuttle from Belfast at 7.00 and thanks to BA01 be at a meeting in NYC by 10.30 - 11.00 depending on the free-way traffic. Once the F beds came in on the 747 then you could return on a sleeper and be back in your own office the next day after lunch with no jet lag. Also, as Concorde, like the 787, was more pressurised it was less tiring. Biggest mistake I made was taking my wife along on one trip - no sympathy after that for my travel schedules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.