Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
British Airways' mileage currency (Avios) offer a potentially advantageous option for redeeming for award tickets on AA, especially on shorter flights. This wiki (which originated in a thread in the now-closed US forum) attempts to summarize key aspects of the program, as well as several problems and workarounds relating to use of the BA website.
CAUTION
Post #1 contains outdated information and should not be relied on.

What are the general rules for redeeming Avios?
  • Avios is charged per individual flight segment. The cost for a single connecting itinerary AAA-BBB-CCC is the same as the cost of two separate tickets for travel AAA-BBB & BBB-CCC.
  • Avios uses a distance-based chart. (See below.)
    • International first and AA domestic three-class first cost roughly 4x as many Avios as coach.
    • For segments over 2000 miles, business class (and first-class awards on AA domestic two-class service) costs roughly 3x coach.
    • For segments under 2000 miles, business class (and first-class awards on AA domestic two-class service) costs roughly 2x coach.
  • You can redeem one-way awards with Avios.
  • Avios is generally region-agnostic. (That is, a given distance costs the same regardless of whether it traverses one or more world regions.) Thus, Avios can provide great value when flying to Hawaii for those who fly coach and can do so in one segment.
  • There is no ticketing fee for online booking. If you call instead of booking online, there is a $25 ticketing fee. (Some people have success in getting this fee waived when an itinerary cannot be booked online, making a phone call unavoidable.)
  • There is no close-in ticketing fee.
  • BA charges $55 to cancel or change a ticket. However, if you cancel online, your cost is capped at the amount of taxes/TSA fees paid; for domestic itineraries on AA, this will normally be much less than $55. (This workaround does not apply to changing a ticket online, which will incur the full $55 fee.) You must cancel 24 hours in advance to get the Avios redeposited; see the BAEC T&C, section 17.
As of the May 30, 2019 award pricing changes, the chart for economy redemptions is as follows:

What's the process for redeeming Avios?Go to the Avios award search page; log in; and enter your desired itinerary.
Great! That sounds easy! What's the catch?Unfortunately, there are several practical restrictions on redeeming Avios for domestic travel on AA, especially when attempting to book online.
  • Most importantly, AA MileSAAver awards must be available. (You can confirm award availability at the lowest level by searching the AA site directly or by using a third-party service such as Expert Flyer.)
  • The BA search tool cannot generate partner itineraries that include more than one connection. (You can still book each segment as an individual ticket, although doing so will create problems if you wish to check luggage all the way through and/or if you miss a connection owing to flight delays.)
  • Even where AA has low-level award availability, the Avios search tool will often fail to display it. This is especially true on routes with numerous flights in a single day (such as the DCA-LGA, LGA-BOS & DCA-BOS shuttles), but occurs regularly on numerous routes. There is no workaround except calling BA reservations.
    • Recommendation: Always search for one-way awards. The BA search tool is known to display no availability in either direction on round-trip searches when awards are in fact available in one direction but not the other.
  • The BA search engine will accept metropolitan area pseudo-codes (WAS, LON, PAR, NYC, etc.) as well as individual airport codes. For best results, try both (e.g., DCA, BWI & IAD as well as WAS).

OK, I managed to make an award booking despite all these pitfalls. How do I get my AAdvantage number into the reservation in order to enjoy my AA elite benefits?
When finalizing the booking of your award ticket on the BA site, delete your BA Executive Club number from the frequent-flyer ID box. Once the ticket is issued, you can update the reservation on the AA site (using the record locator number provided by BA) to add your AAdvantage number.
  • NOTE: Deleting your BAEC number prevents future modification of the award through the BA site or app. If there is any possibility that you may need to cancel, leave your BAEC number in until your plans are firm (or until the 24-hour advance deadline for canceling, whichever comes earlier) and then add your AA number, ideally through AA’s very responsive Twitter liaisons. Otherwise, you will need to call BA & likely suffer a lengthy hold time.

I want to change my seat but the BA site never gave me an AA record locator. What's the solution?
Look up your reservation on the AA site using the BA record locator. You can also go to "Manage My Booking" on the BA site; simply select the desired booking (you may need to click the large plus sign at the right), click "Choose Seats," and then follow the prompts. You will be redirected automatically to the AA site, where you can also view your AA record locator and add your AAdvantage member number to the reservation.

How can I Avios?
  • Fly British Airways.
  • Credit OneWorld flights to British Airways.
  • Open a Chase British Airways credit card, ideally with a generous sign up bonus.
  • Move Chase Ultimate Reward points (CSP, Ink Plus, Ink Preferred) to your BA account.
  • Move AMEX Membership Rewards points to your BA account, preferably during the 2-3 times a year when a bonus is offered.
  • Move Marriott points to your BA account. 60K Marriott points yields 25K BA Avios.
  • Form a household account (see BA forum for discussion) so that miles can be pooled.
Credit: Much of this wiki is based on earlier work by SanDiego1K.

Print Wikipost

Booking American Airlines awards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by glbremner
Thanks Guv, I’ll be honest I did do this previously and no results. I think your magic thumbs released availability either way all booked and a big thank-you for your help.

Sadly no business on return so had to book economy. Do they really charge for baggage and is there anyway around this as a lowly blue card holder. Currently I’m looking at:

- Outwards we can take 10 bags
- Return we can take 0 bags or spend 350 on excess baggage

Sorry if this is obvious, i must be living in the 90’s, but handbag fares on redemptions are offensive.

Only other option is upgrading to business if availability shows up, would I be allowed to do this (assuming that would call centre support!)
​​​​​Without oneworld status or a U.S.-issued Citi or Barclays AA credit card, there will be no free checked bag in domestic Economy on AA.

In Business, each passenger can only check two bags for free. Are there five in your party?

If one or more Business reward seats should open up on the return flight, it would be cheaper for you to just cancel the Economy redemption with BA (online, if possible), and rebook in Business. By cancelling and rebooking, you will only lose the $5.60 (per passenger) "September 11 Security Fee" you paid on the redemption; BA takes cancellation fees out of the cash paid when the redemption was made; no additional collection is made.

For the MCO-AUS return flight, you might consider booking with Southwest for cash. Every passenger on Southwest -- an all-Economy-Class airline -- gets to check two bags without charge. Bookable only at southwest.com.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How is checked baggage on an award ticket any different to a cash ticker? For domestic US travel, AA does not include baggage as part of standard ticket fee

You can take 10 bags, but it would cost $1620

If you have OW status, you will get 1 free bag if you hold Ruby Status, 2 if you hold Sapphire status or 3 if you hold emerald status

How many bags do you need to check in, such that it will cost $350? if holding no status, then each passenger can check 1 bag in for $30 and a 2nd bag for $40
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How is checked baggage on an award ticket any different to a cash ticker? For domestic US travel, AA does not include baggage as part of standard ticket fee

You can take 10 bags, but it would cost $1620

If you have OW status, you will get 1 free bag if you hold Ruby Status, 2 if you hold Sapphire status or 3 if you hold emerald status

How many bags do you need to check in, such that it will cost $350? if holding no status, then each passenger can check 1 bag in for $30 and a 2nd bag for $40
I'm guessing that there are five passengers traveling here. Five passengers x $70 for two bags each = $350. (A family trip to Disney World, perhaps?)

Most Economy cash fares in Europe do include one checked bag, and most Economy Class award tickets for intra-European travel also include one checked bag, so I can understand why the poster -- who is from the U.K. -- is a bit put off by how things work here in the U.S.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:02 pm

Indeed a Brit flying into Austin then heading off to Orlando for Disney Magic! We are 5 travellers in total, hence the potential 10 cases (2 per person)!

Thanks for all your feedback, as I don’t have status looks like I’ll need to pay up the 350 (or get lucky with biz availability).

It’s still cheaper than the 4K taxes I paid to get to US, but for me still odd to charge for luggage on a redemption flight (but that’s just me being old fashioned & Scottish!).

Anyway thanks for being such a helpful and positive community, you helped me far quicker and more effectively than BA ever did!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glbremner
Indeed a Brit flying into Austin then heading off to Orlando for Disney Magic! We are 5 travellers in total, hence the potential 10 cases (2 per person)!

Thanks for all your feedback, as I don’t have status looks like I’ll need to pay up the 350 (or get lucky with biz availability).

It’s still cheaper than the 4K taxes I paid to get to US, but for me still odd to charge for luggage on a redemption flight (but that’s just me being old fashioned & Scottish!).

Anyway thanks for being such a helpful and positive community, you helped me far quicker and more effectively than BA ever did!
Can you get by with one checked bag, one full-size carry-on, and one smaller under-seat "personal" item, like a backpack or small tote/duffel bag, for each passenger? If so, you would save $200 in baggage fees if you end up flying AA in Economy MCO-AUS.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'd like to make an Avios booking on AA for NYC to Chicago. There are over 20 flights per day but when I go to the BA booking page it offers only the first seven in the morning. Is this a known limitation in the booking engine? All seven of those flights have plenty of availability, which makes me suspect that on the other 15+ flights that day there is at least one additional seat free. I'm hesitant to ring up and ask because of the service charge for getting them to do something that they will say is possible to do online. Anybody else ever have to deal with this? TIA.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by henry999
I'd like to make an Avios booking on AA for NYC to Chicago. There are over 20 flights per day but when I go to the BA booking page it offers only the first seven in the morning. Is this a known limitation in the booking engine? All seven of those flights have plenty of availability, which makes me suspect that on the other 15+ flights that day there is at least one additional seat free. I'm hesitant to ring up and ask because of the service charge for getting them to do something that they will say is possible to do online. Anybody else ever have to deal with this? TIA.
I think the advice on this subject in the wiki is still true, unfortunately:
Even where AA has low-level award availability, the Avios search tool will often fail to display it. This is especially true on routes with numerous flights in a single day (such as the DCA-LGA, LGA-BOS & DCA-BOS shuttles), but occurs regularly on numerous routes. There is no workaround except calling BA reservations.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that this is a "feature" of the BA booking engine. (I suspect that there are later AA flights with BAEC award availability.)

You can try calling BA and asking them to waive the telephone-booking fee because of BA's inability to display more than the first seven available award flights per day. I can't predict BA's response to such a request.

But are you sure you want to redeem Avios for this trip? Depending on your day of travel, I'm seeing AA fares of $94 in May, and Southwest fares (LGA-MDW) of just $84 -- which includes two free checked bags.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
But are you sure you want to redeem Avios for this trip? Depending on your day of travel, I'm seeing AA fares of $94 in May, and Southwest fares (LGA-MDW) of just $84 -- which includes two free checked bags.
Compared to 9000 Avios and $5.62 tax? With one free checked bag for OWE? Yes, I think I do want to do this.

Thanks for your reply.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compared to 9000 Avios and $5.62 tax? With one free checked bag for OWE? Yes, I think I do want to do this.
That's fine; different people value their miles differently.

By the way, when traveling on AA, OWEs get three free checked bags:

"1st, 2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for:

"Confirmed First customers on 3-cabin aircraft*

AAdvantage Executive Platinum®

AAdvantage Platinum Pro®

oneworld® Emerald

Active U.S. military and/or dependents with ID traveling on orders (1st - 5th bags free of charge)

Active U.S. military with ID on personal travel

*AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro® and oneworld® Emerald members traveling in First on 3-cabin aircraft may check a 4th bag at no charge."

Source:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Edited to add: And, of course, as a BAEC Gold, once you obtain your AA PNR, you can immediately secure a Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seat at no additional charge.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 15, 2022 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
By the way, when traveling on AA, OWEs get three free checked bags:
Are you sure that applies for Avios bookings as well, in sardine class?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure that applies for Avios bookings as well, in sardine class?
Yes.

AA goes beyond what oneworld requires member airlines to provide elites in terms of baggage allowance.

Edited to add: See crazyarmadillo's post upthread on getting OWE baggage benefits on BAEC redemptions on AA flights:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33563867-post154.html
henry999 likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 15, 2022 at 5:26 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Would anyone be able to help with this AA purchase/cancel with avios.
In September using 36,000 Avios I booked a one way AA flight for 4 people and I'm sure I had some small fee for tax or whatever.
A month later (a few weeks before flight) I canceled the ticket online.
I received an email for future travel vouchers with 4 different numbers (I had bought 4 tickets)
I have no idea what the worth of the vouchers are? No avios were redeposited into my account. I have tried calling BA a few times and gave up. I have no previous bookings on my BA account.
thanks
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by shmom
No avios were redeposited into my account. I have tried calling BA a few times and gave up.
Gave up because hold times were too long? Try calling midweek (Wed/Th) first thing in the morning.

If the phone lines are still jammed, try sending BA a DM on Twitter.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shmom
Would anyone be able to help with this AA purchase/cancel with avios.
In September using 36,000 Avios I booked a one way AA flight for 4 people and I'm sure I had some small fee for tax or whatever.
A month later (a few weeks before flight) I canceled the ticket online.
I received an email for future travel vouchers with 4 different numbers (I had bought 4 tickets)
I have no idea what the worth of the vouchers are? No avios were redeposited into my account. I have tried calling BA a few times and gave up. I have no previous bookings on my BA account.
thanks
I expect that each voucher is for 9,000 Avios only (no cash). Because BA has a fee for cancelling redemption bookings, the $5.60 USD you were charged on each ticket for the U.S. September 11 Security Fee was forfeited when you cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.