Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

V upset 1 of 2 of us downgraded from First on Wedd Ann Trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

V upset 1 of 2 of us downgraded from First on Wedd Ann Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
For contrast, I have only once been bumped on an oversold BA flight. I volunteered and a rerouting with both upgrade and EU261 was given. The senior agent made sure that the grey areas in EU 261 were interpreted to my advantage, which surprised and impressed me.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hope you had a good day today, i enjoyed the race (from home) shame about rosbergs problems as i am sure lewis would have won with a straight fight.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ACARS
BA sadly do make a habit of upgrading celebs, politicians et al.
Poor Ian Poulter...
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:12 pm

All BA flights between LHR and AUH, in both directions, around the Grand Prix weekend have been full, and probabably overbooked in all cabins. Using a dummy booking to investigate the likelihood of an op up on the Friday AUH-LHR, I found that there was only one bookable seat, and that was in Y. The premium cabins all showed "no seats available", or words to that effect. So other carriers were probably also heavily or fully booked, but there could have ben a pair of seats in F on one of the BA flights to other destinations in the Emirates, with a long, but doable, taxi ride to AUH thrown in.

But that is all too late for the OP.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by nalismom
We flew in September from US to LHR on an AA award tic in FC on BA. We COULD NOT do OLCI as our first segment was on AA connecting to BA. AA could not check us in for the BA flight nor issue boarding passes since the tics were 001 not 125.
How odd. AA consistently checks me in (either online or in person) for BA flights on 001 tickets.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: AA, onePass
We were only able to do OLCI for the first segment which was on AA. At the Admirals Club at DFW they tried to get us boarding passes for the BA segs but could not hence we had to present at the BA ticketing desk at EWR when they opened 3 Hours before the flight.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nalismom
We were only able to do OLCI for the first segment which was on AA. At the Admirals Club at DFW they tried to get us boarding passes for the BA segs but could not hence we had to present at the BA ticketing desk at EWR when they opened 3 Hours before the flight.
It depends how well trained the AA check in people are and vice versa for AA flights and BA check in. Both can check in and print BPs for each other's flights but it seems slightly complex and some agents don't seem properly trained.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Nov 24, 2014 at 1:18 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC HHonours SPG EK Skywards QFF VS flying club
Can't speak for welshgirl and boy but one has a sore head at work today! The most amazing weekend, a great race (and great racing day all round) and fantastic result. And the Who.......one word......Amazing! Shame Pharrell lost his voice on Sat night.

Perhaps next year could become a mini FT do??

Whilst back to the subject, I was sat next to a couple who were downgraded from J to WT+ on the Thursday flight. I have directed them to this site to peruse their EU261 options. And guess what, BA never mentioned EU261 to them once and merely offered them some poxy Avios! Maybe they will join in soon on the board.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by springsdxb
Can't speak for welshgirl and boy but one has a sore head at work today! The most amazing weekend, a great race (and great racing day all round) and fantastic result. And the Who.......one word......Amazing! Shame Pharrell lost his voice on Sat night.

Perhaps next year could become a mini FT do??

Whilst back to the subject, I was sat next to a couple who were downgraded from J to WT+ on the Thursday flight. I have directed them to this site to peruse their EU261 options. And guess what, BA never mentioned EU261 to them once and merely offered them some poxy Avios! Maybe they will join in soon on the board.
We had a fab time at the race and afterwards.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
I totally agree, sadly it's often simply the case that things won't be "resolved" until the flight closes, bearing in mind that if there are 15 people and 14 seats someone is potentially going to be disappointed. There are often things that the team can do, but they do usually take time sadly. However, any customer not being given the seat they paid for should always be treated with sensitivity and thought. The other issue is that the time between boarding and resolution doesn't allow for airport teams to engage in the refund element (I understand that this is an industry wide approach, although as technology advances I am sure this will change). The only piece undertaken there and then is the compensation, conversations and care.
If BA wanted to issue a refund there and then, they could. If they have the facility to take credit card payments, then they have the facility to refund credit payments.

I suspect at the moment, were they to resolve things there and then, it would cost far more in terms of cold hard cash going out of their accounts, than the kind of distress caused to Welshgirl but then being able to resolve things later.

It's not a customer focused approach and puts BA's screw ups ahead of the customer experience. Potentially understandable for some cabins, totally unacceptable for first class passengers, whether paid for in avios or cash.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:04 am

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 5:46 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
As I stated I am sure as technology moves on this will change. Currently the time needed to derive the correct refund means this is not work the airport team can take on. It's pretty straight forwards for cash/ card tickets, slightly less so for award, and then onto part cash part award, corporate rates, travel agency specials etc etc etc. Once a consistent and quick mechanism can be supported it will be cheaper and easier to handle at the airport rather than with CR at which point it would be mad not to do it there and then.
Thanks, adrianjc32, I do appreciate the continuing insight. Not having a go at you, just BA's processes.

I think you've hit the nail on the head; at present it's cheaper and easier for British Airways to push the issue to Customer Relations to handle, than it is to meet customer expectations there and then.

I absolutely know that you or anyone else at the airport doesn't want to let the customer down at all, but there's clearly been a commercial decision taken here that is not in the interests of the travelling passenger.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:55 am

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 5:45 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Did you actually start proceedings for it ?
No. Didn't have the energy.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, onePass
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It depends how well trained the AA check in people are and vice versa for AA flights and BA check in. Both can check in and print BPs for each other's flights but it seems slightly complex and some agents don't seem properly trained.
Thanks for the reply

Quick question: If we can check in online 24 hours ahead ..... Can airline staff also check us in the evening before the actual flight which will be within that 24 hour period for both segments. We will be staying at Terminal hotel night before early 1st segment on AA to EWR which connects to BA flight later that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.