Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
LHR charges for the cost of this screening to the passengers. For example, if you transited LHR on a round-trip in economy class from the US, you paid GBP 54.39 (USD 83.10) for this (on the ticket under tax/fee "UB").

EU Regulations state that "transfer passengers and their cabin baggage may be exempted from screening, if: (a) they arrive from a Member State [...] or (b) they arrive from a third country where the security standards applied are recognised as equivalent to the common basic standards [...] [E.g. the USA]"

Security control when connecting between USA and Schengen flights (European airports competing for LHR traffic)

SECURITY CONTROL both ways:
  • LHR

NO SECURITY CONTROL either way (Schengen to USA or v.v.):
  • FRA (A/Z-gates only) [Lufthansa hub]
  • MUC [Lufthansa hub]
  • AMS (from mid 2015 when reconstruction works finish) [KLM hub]
  • HEL
  • ZRH [SWISS hub]
  • CPH

NO SECURITY CONTROL from Schengen to USA (control on the way back from USA to Schengen):
  • VIE
  • WAW
  • ARN
  • OSL
Print Wikipost

T5 security is a total disaster! [inc Fast Track issues]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was totally amazed and dare I say delighted by North security this morning.

A new Fast Track entrance corridor has sprung up over Christmas and at 0700 this morning, there were two of us in the Fast Track security area - probably the fastest I've ever been through LHR security.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:57 pm

Went through the new north fast track on Sunday morning. Terminal and lounges were busy but not a single person in fast track. No one queuing, no one at the scanners. It was great! ^
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
More information on the new North, and some photos, here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-entrance.html
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
North Security was a breeze, Jan 2, evening. ^^
Old May 27, 2016, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Banana4321
It doesn't become suddenly safe.

What it means is that a few minutes later they can detect interesting data from the vapour that is trapped in the bag if they choose to do so.
I see your sarcasm detector is broken.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Do passengers tend to have problems with T5 security staff insisting that you separate items like moisturisers and similar tiny products out of your amenity kits and into one of the plastic bags?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by danger
Do passengers tend to have problems with T5 security staff insisting that you separate items like moisturisers and similar tiny products out of your amenity kits and into one of the plastic bags?
What sort of problem? As in officious or overbearing staff?

The rules for UK airports are that liquids should be <100ml, and all be in a sealed transparent bag.

So, if the staff are insisting on this, they're upholding the rules. No problem there!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by paul4040
What sort of problem? As in officious or overbearing staff?

The rules for UK airports are that liquids should be <100ml, and all be in a sealed transparent bag.

So, if the staff are insisting on this, they're upholding the rules. No problem there!
Possibly officious and overbearing; possibly not.

I'm reasonably well travelled and I've never once been asked to remove these items from an amenity kit. Multiple times through Singapore, Sydney, Perth, Hong Kong and many US airports among others without an issue.

Absolutely this does not remove from the fact that LAGs less than 100mL are supposed to be placed in a separate bag. I just find it interesting that LHR T5 is the only place I've ever encountered it.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Possibly officious and overbearing; possibly not.

I'm reasonably well travelled and I've never once been asked to remove these items from an amenity kit. Multiple times through Singapore, Sydney, Perth, Hong Kong and many US airports among others without an issue.

Absolutely this does not remove from the fact that LAGs less than 100mL are supposed to be placed in a separate bag. I just find it interesting that LHR T5 is the only place I've ever encountered it.

Sorry to contradict but it is my experience that you have to throw it out at US airports if you have not decanted the amenities into a plastic bag. It has always been an issue at US airports and one that many carriers warn about for transiting passengers
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by philthegreek
Sorry to contradict but it is my experience that you have to throw it out at US airports if you have not decanted the amenities into a plastic bag. It has always been an issue at US airports and one that many carriers warn about for transiting passengers
Frustrating. Consistency in airport screening has long been a bugbear of mine. I can't understand why my belt sets off the detector at Canberra but not at Perth.

On a side note, I'm interested in learning how a gel, like a moisturiser, can be detected.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
In response to the last few posts:

I have my leather 'toiletries bag' which I use to hold everything. I keep some of the liquids-bags at home and so put all of my mini-bottles (+ toothpaste etc) into the plastic bag when packing and place that on the top 'layer' of the washbag.

I leave it unzipped and pack it in the corner of the roll-aboard.

Walk up to security > rollaboard into tray > unzip corner > yank out plastic bag > push tray away;
> pull out second tray > drop in plastic bag and add watch, belt, shoes etc. > push away;
> New tray > Plonk briefcase bag > extract laptop/ipad > push away
> New tray > Electronics

DONE ^
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: BA silver.
On a side note, I'm interested in learning how a gel, like a moisturiser, can be detected.
And I'm curious to know why my bottle of dry shampoo, which is a powder, sets off the liquid detector - sometimes. Western Europe, every time; Asia, never.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
I never bother with the clear plastic bags - frankly I dont see the point of this rule. I've never once been challenged on this.

On the occasions when they want to look at some container (eg half empty sun cream) they didnt mention that it wasnt in a sealable plastic bag
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Then you should stay away from EDI....
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC, FlyingBlue, IHG Gold Amb, Kimpton whatever
Originally Posted by Aliksander
I never bother with the clear plastic bags - frankly I dont see the point of this rule. I've never once been challenged on this.

On the occasions when they want to look at some container (eg half empty sun cream) they didnt mention that it wasnt in a sealable plastic bag
I've been challenged (at LHR) when using a zipped transparent washbag, as the zip doesn't provide a full seal. (I don't do that any more).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.