Search

First time transiting LHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum
First time transiting LHR

Hello,

I'm flying BA for the first time November 10th on ORY - LHR - SFO in F (also first time in F for that matter).

I plan to go straight to the CCR for breakfast as i arrive at 7:55am, which leaves me with a 3 hour window before my SFO flight at 10:50am. However, how bad/slow is transfer security at T5A in the morning? Should there be anything else of importance i should know about transfers at LHR T5?

I know i can clear security at T5B/C and get to A through the tunnels from what i've read on here, but i'm traveling with 2 other people who aren't very airport-savvy, so i'd prefer taking them through the normal transfer circuit (Though if i was alone i'd definetly go with the tunnels if that is a massive time-saver).

Also, will i get those nice BA F pyjamas even on a dayflight?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think clearing security at T5B/C will be irrlevant for you as that only works if your onward flight is from those satellites. At t-3 hrs your gate for LHR-SFO will not be shown so you won't have a choice and will have to go to T5A and do flight connections & security there.

One option if you all have EU passports and if international connections at flight connections looks really bad is to land yourself, go out through arrivals, lift up to departures/check-in, and then go through south security which will put you right next to the secret door entrance for the CCR.

Other things to think about are booking spa treatments or a cabana if you want to - call You First for both.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 29, 2014 at 3:47 pm
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA
I'd assume that you'll be offered the pyjamas - I was offered them on a recent F dayflight to JFK.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Follow the purple Flight Connections signs when you arrive at T5 (which could be A, B or C). Go through Flight Connections in T5A (there is a Fast Track lane on the right hand side) and then to the CCR (turn right after security and walk all the way to the end on the same level).

In the event Flight Connections is looking busy, you can always 'land' yourself through immigration and customs (assuming right of entry to the UK) and go back in through check-in/departures security. If doing this, go through South Security where the CCR is immediately on the right.

BA offer PJs in First on all flights. Although you should be offered them, if not offered, ask, because they are available onboard.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think clearing security at T5B/C will be irrlevant for you as that only works if your onward flight is from those satellites. At t-3 hrs your gate for LHR-SFO will not be shown so you won't have a choice and will have to go to T5A and do flight connections & security there.

One option if you all have EU passports and if international connections at flight connections looks really bad is to land yourself, go out through arrivals, lift up to departures/check-in, and then go through south security which will put you right next to the secret door entrance for the CCR.

Other things to think about are booking spa treatments or a cabana if you want to - call You First for both.
Cheers, i'll have that in mind We're all EU passport holders so nice to know that option is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.