Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip report LHR-BKK-LHR Club World

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Meh
This thread reaffirms my decision to always fly cx to the far east.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:32 pm

All the way to Bangkok for a one day meeting must be important and so too must you. If it were me I would refuse to go if J not paid. Universities are multi-million pound businesses wherever their cash comes from and need to treat their staff appropriately.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
All the way to Bangkok for a one day meeting must be important and so too must you. If it were me I would refuse to go if J not paid. Universities are multi-million pound businesses wherever their cash comes from and need to treat their staff appropriately.
I don't think the students funding that travel with supposedly extortionate fees (I don't personally see the big problem with them but most people seem to think it's a major hardship) would see it the same way though.

Saying that, the staff at my university seem to travel economy most/all of the time and none of them seem to moan about it. They are a bit more "down to Earth" than many people on here though - I can't envisage any of them even commenting on being served a drink in a plastic cup, let alone find it annoying!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by callum9999
Saying that, the staff at my university seem to travel economy most/all of the time and none of them seem to moan about it. They are a bit more "down to Earth" than many people on here though - I can't envisage any of them even commenting on being served a drink in a plastic cup, let alone find it annoying!
I think that you've missed the point.

Not many people would mind being served a drink in a plastic cup (myself included-I'm an ex postman for goodness sake ). However, after having paid a small fortune for a premium service, you would expect a higher lever of service. If you didn't you would be pretty daft.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
I think that you've missed the point.

Not many people would mind being served a drink in a plastic cup (myself included-I'm an ex postman for goodness sake ). However, after having paid a small fortune for a premium service, you would expect a higher lever of service. If you didn't you would be pretty daft.
Nope, didn't miss that. I don't think the staff at my university would be annoyed at getting a drink in a plastic cup, high expectations or not. They just don't seem like the type. Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with people who would be bothered.

Realistically, a plastic cup isn't really a lower class of service. It does exactly the same job as a plastic cup. In fact, I think I'd personally prefer plastic over glass while on an aeroplane!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
In fact, I think I'd personally prefer plastic over glass while on an aeroplane!
Shhh...don't go suggesting enhancements!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I don't think the staff at my university would be annoyed at getting a drink in a plastic cup, high expectations or not. They just don't seem like the type.
After paying hundreds extra, you might be surprised.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
After paying hundreds extra, you might be surprised.
Maybe. I highly doubt it though.

Particularly the one who berated a student for having a posh accent!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by stevie
This thread reaffirms my decision to always fly cx to the far east.
If non-direct is fine as an option, why just limit yourself to CX?

QR, or EY, or EK, or SQ, or JL.......

So long as the fare and schedule work in your favour and you can guarantee a flat bed on any overnight sector then you're laughing with any of the above.

I mean seriously, being denied cheese and dessert, running out of options (OK, I see that there was a service recovery, but even so) not enough glassware. It's not as though the BA seat is super comfortable any more without a mattress pad.

Yup, if it was my money on the table, I'm afraid BA comes down the list for us now, which is a real pity because, as already observed, none of this appears to be a) difficult to fix or b) wildly expensive.

Scarily, there was an article in either the Times or Sunday Times last week where one of the big investment houses reckoned that there still £500m of savings available to BA if they followed the Easyjet model more closely. Spooky stuff Kids on Halloween
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Why did you choose an aisle CW seat? Weren't window seats available?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
If non-direct is fine as an option, why just limit yourself to CX?

QR, or EY, or EK, or SQ, or JL.......

So long as the fare and schedule work in your favour and you can guarantee a flat bed on any overnight sector then you're laughing with any of the above.

I mean seriously, being denied cheese and dessert, running out of options (OK, I see that there was a service recovery, but even so) not enough glassware. It's not as though the BA seat is super comfortable any more without a mattress pad.

Yup, if it was my money on the table, I'm afraid BA comes down the list for us now, which is a real pity because, as already observed, none of this appears to be a) difficult to fix or b) wildly expensive.

Scarily, there was an article in either the Times or Sunday Times last week where one of the big investment houses reckoned that there still £500m of savings available to BA if they followed the Easyjet model more closely. Spooky stuff Kids on Halloween
I often need to get to ICN/NRT/China mainland and CX has much better connections, and the Wing is comfortable to freshen up.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
I haven't flown east long-haul on BA for a few years now and this sort of thread just makes for further depressing reading. Having been on CX, QR and QF and finding all those experiences very good, it's really not making me want to give BA another try.

To the US, Canada and South America, BA have largely been my carrier of choice but with other airlines on those route upping their game and BA seemingly going backwards then I wonder how long that will last. AA have picked up more and more of my US J travel since they brought out the new 77W business class cabin layout.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by where2travel
... AA have picked up more and more of my US J travel since they brought out the new 77W business class cabin layout.
Yup, here too. My wife's American so we battled for years with her wanting to fly a US carrier and me always wanting to fly BA. Now, if the AA 77W is in play, they're getting our business every time. I'm afraid there simply isn't any rational argument in favour of BA anymore (doesn't apply in F of course where BA still wins out).

Apart from anything else, you can at least guarantee your first pick of the mains by booking ahead. BA, how difficult can this really be?

How sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.