Wiki Posts
Search

MAN - LHR on Christmas day

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
MAN - LHR on Christmas day

Have managed to book rewards flights to GIG over christmas.

The problem is that the flight leaves LHR at 12:30 but there is no MAN - LHR service to connect.
A Virgin flight arrives 11:30 which is too tight. Possibility of connection via Brussels.

We have to go on 25th because of work & family things on 24th.
Any ideas apart from leaving early and driving down?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So there are flights from MAN on Christmas day (I am on one of them in fact), but only two and this is the timetable:

12:00 25 Dec-13:05 25 Dec
BA1395

15:00 25 Dec-16:00 25 Dec
BA1399

As neither is early enough to connect your options are to fly down the night before and stay in a hotel near LHR, or drive down. I think the little red option is too tight as you say, not because I think there will be any delays on 25 December but because you will need to collect your bags and get across from T2 to T5, check in, and get to security by T-35 minutes. If you have HBO then you could at least do the airside transfer option, but it is still too tight and there is no mis-connection protection for you.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Driving to me sounds like the obvious choice. From Glossop, on Christmas Day and with empty roads, you'd be able to do it comfortably in little over three hours.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:47 am

There is a 19:00 on Xmas Eve and then use the "mystery hotel" deal for the T5 Sofitel?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
What facilities are open on Xmas day?
CCR? Elemis Spa? Duty Free?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:37 am

Drive. The roads will be empty and the plod will be at home having xmas dinner too ;-)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by saintby
Drive. The roads will be empty and the plod will be at home having xmas dinner too ;-)
Trust me, plod, ambulance and hose monkeys will all be on shift, certainly not at home, feet up having Xmas lunch !

cs
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:38 am

You'll have to get to London the night before. I normally hate the M6,. but the best and fastest I have very done it on was on Christmas eve. driving was rather civilised without tones of lorries.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Trust me, plod, ambulance and hose monkeys will all be on shift, certainly not at home, feet up having Xmas lunch !
cs
Indeed. Our dinner will be in the evening once our police officer daughter has finished her shift.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Tim1975
You'll have to get to London the night before. I normally hate the M6,. but the best and fastest I have very done it on was on Christmas eve. driving was rather civilised without tones of lorries.
Equally, I spent what seems like all of Christmas Eve on the M6 a few years ago. Post lunchtime seems to be far worse than pre lunchtime.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
Equally, I spent what seems like all of Christmas Eve on the M6 a few years ago. Post lunchtime seems to be far worse than pre lunchtime.
But late night is usually empty unless there's an accident. I did St Ives (Cornwall) to Warrington in 4 hours one late Christmas eve (about 7pm-11pm).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by paulwuk
But late night is usually empty unless there's an accident. I did St Ives (Cornwall) to Warrington in 4 hours one late Christmas eve (about 7pm-11pm).
It's probably just me. If the cones hotline was still in existence I would be one of its most frequent callers.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by oyster
What facilities are open on Xmas day?
CCR? Elemis Spa? Duty Free?
Almost everything will be open as normal, the only exceptions are there might be a few less staff in the shops and they might not open quite as early or close quite as late as normal. This has been my experience on past Christmas Days.

In reply to FlyerGill my personal choice would be to drive down on the day. As has been said the roads are normally fairly quiet so it would at least be a fairly smooth journey.

Flying on Christmas Day can be a great experience. I encountered a flight a few years ago where the crew had decorated the whole of the inside of a 747 (and much to the chagrin of some passengers boarding) there was a large sprig of mistletoe hung over the boarding door.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
It's probably just me. If the cones hotline was still in existence I would be one of its most frequent callers.
What! The cones hotline has gone! Oh woe, it was John Major's most significant achievement.

Perhaps BA could introduce a hotline for something equally important, like ......
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:32 am

At that time of the year I always factor in the...

What if it is Snowing !

That is why I would go down the day before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.